DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

I have barely done anything this week, just the Io part of the Exodus quest. I really should probably do IB tomorrow.

The quest line is super straight forward. Maybe took me 90 minutes of actual gameplay

in the 20 or so IB matches I’ve played, I think a grand total of 3 have gone the full length. Just comical matchmaking 

Finished the Exodus quest either Friday night. Ashen Mir & Sloane sticking around their planets feels kind of like bs done just so Bungie can have a few less characters to give a shit about. Vance walking off into the forest makes sense. The Traveler's Chosen is a solid side arm for PvP & PvE.

I did at least twenty games of IB over the weekend to finish up the bounties. I won more than I lost thought it wasn't the easiest run since I also decided it might be a good time to finish up the bounty for the Witherhoard's catalyst. First time I have ever really used Militia's Birthright, and I find the weapon annoying as hell to use. Still it got the job done over time. Now I just have to work on the actual catalyst for the weapon along with finishing the one for this season's trace rifle that I'm forgetting the name of at the moment.

I ended up not having time to finish the IB bounties on either of my characters which was a little disappointing. I have to assume there is at least one more IB week before Beyond Light. Mainly just so I can get a complete set for my Warlock.

The lore pretty much confirms that they are making Rasputin an Exo. I wonder what Anna is gonna become a "vendor" of since she is moving to the Tower.

I think with Ashen, Sloane and Vance - they needed to have an excuse for them being available whenever they eventually bring the planets back but like you said - not having a 1000 people in the Tower.

God, what am I doing with my life...I wound up re-installing D2 and bought the expansion pack thingy to get me up to date. I wound up getting the itch after playing Avengers and being disappointed by that. Well, that and how boring WoW was. The last time I jumped back in was on Stadia. That played well there, but there was just so much to do that I had no idea where to start. This time I watching some jumping back in videos to know what all to do.

Wow. I jumped back into Destiny 2 last night. I don't know why this didn't hit me before when I jumped back in on Stadia, but this is such a really good game. It's hitting me more this time around since I'm getting back into it on the PS4. It's such an unbelievably good looking game. This is likely being driven by my displeasure with Avengers, but the variety of enemies is really nice. I forgot about each faction having their own enemies. The gun play and gameplay in general is fantastic. I played some Halo 5 over xCloud earlier yesterday and playing Destiny 2 awhile after that drove home how much better Bungie gets gameplay than 323. Everything has a nice weight to it, the abilities are all fun, and yeah, I just forgot how good Destiny 2 was.

Where I tend to have issues is with the storyline, quest and mission structure, and the number of systems in place. I was completely overwhelmed by the amount of quests I returned to. There's a fuckton. It doesn't make much sense to me to give me quests that involve replaying the original Destiny 2 storyline. At first I didn't even realize I was replaying that main storyline with Ghaul and then it clicked that I was replaying something I already beat when the game first came out and it made me wonder why it gave me quests to complete in that story. I just finished the Spark mission for it and I think I may look into bouncing out of replaying that storyline entirely. There's that same level of confusion when it comes to all of the different currencies, engrams, motes, or whatever that the game throws at you. I don't really know what it all means and it's slightly intimidating.

Basically, I want to make sure I'm not doing something that wastes time and I already fell into that trap last night. I watched one video about getting back into Destiny 2 and it didn't really go over which quests to focus on. It would be nice if Bungie looked at all of these quests and created some kind of sensible experience for new and returning players, something that WoW did and is going to do again with their upcoming expansion.

I do really like how you are given the option to replay old storylines though, I just wish there was something there to say if you already did them or not. My main goal at this point is to try and play through the existing content in the game before Bungie gets rid of stuff in November.

If you use d2checklist.com - you can see everything you have done and haven't done (and on which character)

There is a tab called "Checklist" - then the last item is "Adventures" that is what you are looking for

• Thanks 1

Awesome. Apparently I have 12/37 Adventures completed. Still doesn't make sense that I would get quests or missions or whatever you want to call them in the middle of the Red War storyline. I also have no idea how worthwhile completing those quests are, but it sets my OCD off in a weird way to leave stuff incomplete. It's probably why I'll never finish the Witcher 3.

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Awesome. Apparently I have 12/37 Adventures completed. Still doesn't make sense that I would get quests or missions or whatever you want to call them in the middle of the Red War storyline. I also have no idea how worthwhile completing those quests are, but it sets my OCD off in a weird way to leave stuff incomplete. It's probably why I'll never finish the Witcher 3.

They repeat as daily/Heroic missions - so if you did one of those at random, then that is what could have done one in the middle.

Starting with Beyond Light - Ghosts will now be customizable.

Basically they will get an energy level like armor and 4 mod slots.

Each slot will allow you to choose a mod specific to a type of thing. The slots are Experience, Tracking, Economic and Activity (Activity is unlocked by Masterworking the Ghost). (Guiding Light will remain one of the Experience mods)

Mods will available to use on all Ghosts no matter their Tier level

The Ghost mods will be found via gameplay and will not be available for purchase

Example images

Ghost_Mod_XP_EN.jpg?cv=3983621215&av=312

Ghost_Mod_HarvestCore_EN.jpg?cv=39836212

Just now, Craig H said:

So, is Beyond Light basically Destiny 3?

Yes????

A lot of concepts that would have been in Destiny 3 are in the game. (Eivion posted a video a page or two ago from one of the streamers that Bungie brought in that confirmed as much)

The thing was that Bungie didn't really want to be making Destiny 3... that was being pushed on them by Activision. (They wanted to stick to their original plan of D2 lasting 10 years)

The really difficult thing about that direct 1:1 comparison is - that a lot of the focus of the first season is new location (Europa) and the return of the Cosmodrome and the removal of the old locations. There is a lot less known in regards to the seasons beyond that.

Because how far along truly where they in thinking about D3 - it could be that all the ideas are dumped in Season 12 and then Season 13 we are all "Wait... what???"

• Like 2

Well, either way, I'm loving it. I feel like I'm in a much better position returning to D2 because I have fresh eyes, I'm not a jaded long term player, and I'm astonished at the amount of stuff there is to do. It's really fantastic. I've also managed to convince some friends to return as well. 

• Like 1

I wound up installing this on my new gaming computer and I'm able to run everything at its highest settings. It looks and plays simply amazing on the PC. It's one of the best looking games I've played and I think I may prefer this over the PS4. The only problem is that the keyboard layout for all of your actions is mapped weirdly. I have a Razer mouse that has three different sides for regular use, MMOs, and MOBAs. I might try the MMO or MOBA side to map item use or melee actions or finishers to the mouse. 

And the expansions on PC wound up being cheaper than the PS4. I got the expansions from CDKeys for about $26.

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Its just a little tribute to a former D2 dev from Vicarious Visions. They passed away last year.

Yeah I forgot they were doing that until I did the actual "mission"

Still nice

They made the Destiny 2 situation oddly confusing for quick processing without looking up how to do it on Gamepass. I never picked up the last expansion because I played so little of Destiny 2 on PS4 after awhile due to just being busy and not really having a group to play with, but the login share made me curious enough to download it on this.

I think I did it wrong because it had Base Destiny 2, Forsaken, and Shadowkeep as different games and I told it to snag all 3. I probably could have saved myself a headache and just grabbed Shadowkeep.

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I think I did it wrong because it had Base Destiny 2, Forsaken, and Shadowkeep as different games and I told it to snag all 3. I probably could have saved myself a headache and just grabbed Shadowkeep.

Unfortunately - due to the way the coded things, you need both to be able to play things in Forsaken.

Like they didn't just do it where if you bought, Shadowkeep, it unlocked everything prior.

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Unfortunately - due to the way the coded things, you need both to be able to play things in Forsaken.

Like they didn't just do it where if you bought, Shadowkeep, it unlocked everything prior.

Yeah, once I get reoriented with it this weekend, I might see if anyone on the Xbox side wants to help me level up to some degree. Seems like the community here is stronger on Xbox.

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Yeah, once I get reoriented with it this weekend, I might see if anyone on the Xbox side wants to help me level up to some degree. Seems like the community here is stronger on Xbox.

Well it was....

I am the only one left on the XBOX side (at least that makes their presence known). Eivion is the only one on the PS side