DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

as a casual player who has not read a "this week in bungie" in the better part of a year, BOY the gear retirement plan has been a rude surprise. all my shit is masterworked and in September it's all never going to be usable again. what in the fuck have hardcore players been doing with items that have earned me this random asskicking. They've got to start putting that newsletter shit in the game, because to make huge radical changes like that and the only way you'd know is if you check their website all the time? that blows. They got scripts to announce when it's time to buy shit, but not when it's time to change how everyone plays.

There has been a lot of push back recently around the way Bungie is communicating things in general

Like this past weekend's live event was mention only on Twitter and with only 24 hours notice

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

It will be my luck that this game will finally be fun to play and stable now that I have no intention of returning.

I was thinking of you a lot yesterday since

A) the opening mission may or may not have been right up your alley. (I can't remember your opinion on Eris). I was hooked just by Eris yelling "GUARDIAN YOUR ASSISTANCE WOULD NOT BE UNWELCOME!"

B) the public event this season is like a combination of everything from the last 4 seasons with Gambit lite mixed in (though with no orb throwing). I enjoyed it so far but I have only done it twice.

C) you can choose what type of thing you get from your "dark" engram (I forget the real name) and I was like "Oh JT wanted this for like fucking years"

D) I was thinking how much money I would have to send you just to get you to reinstall (not play) just because I wanna see how long it would take installing this fucking thing would take. (Yesterday's patch was another 4.6 GB)

You have no idea how much free HDD space I cleared for 2077 and The Avengers just by uninstalling Destiny 2.  I was giddy.

Now I just have to wait two and a half months or so, but Dragon's Dogma is keeping me busy so far.

Edited by J.T.

I need a price point on the next XBOX because I might wait on buying new titles (yes despite knowing about them playing on both) and just focus on the Switch and clearing my PS4 titles for a while

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I need a price point on the next XBOX because I might wait on buying new titles (yes despite knowing about them playing on both) and just focus on the Switch and clearing my PS4 titles for a while.

I think it's going to run around $500.  I think I am on budget to get one at launch.

I am good with playing Cyberpunk 2077 early because I will get the free Series X version when it is released later on, but I will probably wait to play Bloodlines 2 on Series X.  I don't think that The Avengers will have a Series X port so I will get that for XB1.

Cyberpunk 2077 and Avengers will probably end up being the swan song games for my XB1.

Edited by J.T.

Season info that I had missed so far that I got from Datto's last video

• Soft Cap - 1000
  • Power Cap - 1050
  • Pinnacle Cap - 1060

More details regarding the weapon power cap (which might have been announced earlier and I just missed it)

Season 1-8 weapons now show a Power Cap of 1060 (Garden of Salvation and Last Wish weapons/armors also show a 1060 cap but that is wrong and will be fixed in Season 12 (There cap should be 1360)

• Season 9 - 1260
  • Season 10 - 1310
  • Season 11 - 1360

Master Rahool is selling old season exotics (think Erianna's Vow or Symmetry) for Exotic Ciphers (you can these in the free track of the Season Pass) and some other stuff. Xur also takes them but who the fuck knows what he will sell.

\Why are they raising power caps and sunsetting weapons at the same time?  You'll never stop grinding for new gear.

God, I am glad I am no longer dealing with this bullshit.

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

\Why are they raising power caps and sunsetting weapons at the same time?  You'll never stop grinding for new gear.

To be fair - how many non-exotic weapons are people really using from Seasons 1-8? Like the only one for me MIGHT be Last Perdition. (to be fair my memory was shit - was Recluse Season 8 or before? but I also think those pinnacle weapons should be exempt but that is a different story). And even something like Last Perdition drops as newer Post Season 9 version. I just use my original since I love my fucking God roll of it.

And I could see the argument that if the source of said weapon comes from something that is being vaulted next season, then they are trying to move people away to content that is still "available"

Again - that is just for this season since the weapon cap is same as the hard cap so there isn't any "sunsetting" for this season. It feels more like they are using this season to make sure all the things are in place for next season in regards to the system working properly.

It isn't entirely terrible because I think that sunset weapons will have some sort of freshness clock and they can't be infused beyond the current cap to a new cap when the expiration threshold hits. 

It's not the same as complete retirement but even so, there's no reason to keep upping the hard power cap. 

It just keeps the endgame just out of the reach of causals and now we're back to the argument that the game only caters to clans, daily grinders, and streamers.

Edited by J.T.

I have seen many folks saying that because of how many sources of pinnacle weapons there now are - more casuals will hit the power cap than in the past (of course if they keep jumping it 50 LL each season... no, no they are not)

I really need to find all this bonus news that Destiny put out like the imagine of what the world map now looks like with all the locations removed

Or like the stat that Warmind content was only played .03% of the time in one of the previous seasons but takes up a huge chunk of HD space

29 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Or like the stat that Warmind content was only played .03% of the time in one of the previous seasons but takes up a huge chunk of HD space

Warmind added Mars, Escalation Protocol, and one of the most expansive fetchits in the game so it warranted the space.  I am not sure how people avoided playing Warmind unless Bungie just unlocked all of the planets and didn't force people to beat the Warmind meta story before moving on to other shit.

That was exactly it

When they made the base game free - folks could choose to play what stories they wanted.

Clearly everyone skipped the Warmind story 

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

That was exactly it

When they made the base game free - folks could choose to play what stories they wanted.

Clearly everyone skipped the Warmind story 

Yeah, I was about to say that now that Destiny 2 is FTP, planets are no longer story locked so people are avoiding Osiris and Warmind story missions like the plague. 

I guess that means that the Nascent Dawn quest for the Polaris Lance is available at anytime.  You don't have to finish the Mars missions to unlock that weapon quest.

Edited by J.T.

Honestly at this point you could remove the entire Red War and I don't think anyone would be sad (obviously keeping the EDZ and Nexus are playable locations)

EDIT - though I guess the only issue with that is it would remove Cayde completely from the game (outside of the opening of Forsaken)

I'm weird, but not having any mandatory story missions just seems odd.  Those were the only things that gave the fight some sort of context, otherwise Destiny 2 is just one big shooting gallery... which it is but I'm just sayin'.

• Like 1

For reasons I'm not quite sure of I see they decided to take the longest, and arguably hardest, strike and turn it into a Nightfall Ordeal w/o any thoughts to maybe adjust the time settings so you can actually come out with a decent score. Even w/o being a Nightfall, the Corrupted tends to run long so I'm not sure why they thought this was a good idea.

Oh yeah - I meant to say that earlier

Doing the Corrupted as the first Ordeal when everyone is still squishy is some bullshit

The one good thing is I finally got the Nightfall emblem for that strike

• Like 2

This is probably a dumb question, but I’ve finally dipped back into this game and am overwhelmed by the changes. I have several things called Umbral Engrams. How to I decrypt them? The normal guy doesn’t. Read something about the Drifter, but neither he nor the two machines next to him seem to do anything, either. Is there a quest I’m missing somewhere? Is it content I don’t have (though I own both Forsaken and Shadowkeep)?

I no longer have any clue what I’m doing, so I’m mostly running around the EDZ just to get back into the rhythm of the shooting. I thought starting a new character would onboard me a bit, but it dumps you into the beginning of the first game, then just sorta says, “have at it!”

Umbral Engrams are the special engram drops for the season. The machine right next to the Drifter is supposed to decrypt them. There should be a quest with a step involving speaking to Drifter about them to open up use of the machine. I didn't think you needed the current season to use it, but you might.

The must have heard enough complaints about not communicating things well as well I logged in this afternoon I got a pop up making sure to explain the content that was getting vaulted