DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Braun Strowman's Day Off - 4/17/2017

Dolfan in NYC

The biggest problem with the Raw women's division was their inability to book more than 4 women on tv. Charlotte always having to be in the ppv title matches was stale as can be. I'm not putting any blame on her because I might even get sick of seeing AJ Styles in 25 straight ppv matches for the world title in which he wins at the ppv and drops it two weeks later on tv.

• Like 1

LOL @ television losses when most of them are in tag matches and the ones where she did lose to Sasha she won right back two weeks later.  That is exactly like Triple H.  Anytime Charlotte lost it was made completely meaningless. 

Then she'd cut a 20-minute monotone promo. 

None of this is like HHH in that period. Her matches delivered, she carried the promo segments and people cared about her storylines.

Every time she had to lose, she worked her ass off and didn't telegraph it with the pouty face like a certain other woman. The beating she took in that Falls Count Anywhere match was wild.

It's not her fault the company sees her as someone strong enough to carry the division and all that comes with that role.

47 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

It needs to have a remixed intro with Braun yelling "BRAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUNNNN!!!!...(and Roman!)"

Bravo

Romeo

Alpha

Uniform

November

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUU....DUH NUH DUH NUH.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Charlie M. said:

None of this is like HHH in that period. Her matches delivered, she carried the promo segments and people cared about her storylines.

Every time she had to lose, she worked her ass off and didn't telegraph it with the pouty face like a certain other woman. The beating she took in that Falls Count Anywhere match was wild.

It's not her fault the company sees her as someone strong enough to carry the division and all that comes with that role.

She didn't carry anyone. Her matches with Bayley weren't half as good as Sasha's matches with Bayley.  Her matches with Becky weren't half as good as Sasha's match with Becky.  I get that you are a big Charlotte fan but lets be realistic..  her promo segments were not good.  

32 minutes ago, Peck said:

So I'm curious.. for those who have set up rings before, etc. how do you rig a ring to collapse at that very spot despite the numerous other decent-sized bumps in that match?

In his book, Gary Hart talked about how they did a ring collapse spot in Australia and how they rigged up one corner of the ring. Everyone was specifically told to not bump in that corner of the ring until it was time for the ring collapse spot. I'd imagine it's something similar to that except that they can do stuff to the ring so much faster and more discrete now that they can distract the fans with backstage gaga and video promos while someone slips under there right before the main event and rig up what they need. I'd have to guess there are supports underneath the ring and they remove them. And then they'll have the guys not take bumps in the spot where the supports were removed until it's time.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

She didn't carry anyone. Her matches with Bayley weren't half as good as Sasha's matches with Bayley.  Her matches with Becky weren't half as good as Sasha's match with Becky.  I get that you are a big Charlotte fan but lets be realistic..  her promo segments were not good.  

I said she carried the promo segments, not the matches.

She's gotten great heat with a number of her promo segments and carried the heavy load in all of them because Sasha and Bayley just can't deliver any sort of extended dialog. I get that you're not a fan but there were lots of people in these threads who have praised her promo work. She's out there to get heat and she does that.

5 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

She's gotten great heat with a number of her promo segments and carried the heavy load in all of them because Sasha and Bayley just can't deliver any sort of extended dialog. I get that you're not a fan but there were lots of people in these threads who have praised her promo work. She's out there to get heat and she does that.

Well, we'll see where she goes from here.  SDL had multiple women's feuds going on at once, everyone getting their time to shine, their own spotlight.  It'll be a big mistake if this becomes the "Charlotte Show"  while everyone else takes a backseat. 

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

LOL @ television losses when most of them are in tag matches and the ones where she did lose to Sasha she won right back two weeks later.  That is exactly like Triple H.  Anytime Charlotte lost it was made completely meaningless. 

Then she'd cut a 20-minute monotone promo. 

*sigh* Ok...

Triple H 2003 Calendar Year 1 v 1 losses: 5.  3 DQ, 2 Pin, 1 Title Loss, 1 failed shot.

Royal Rumble 2003 v Scott Steiner via DQ (World Title Match)

Judgement Day 03 v Kevin Nash via DQ (World Title Match)

Unforgiven 03 v Goldberg via Pin (World Title Change)

Survivor Series 03 v Goldberg via Pin (World Title Match)

11/24 RAW v Goldberg via DQ

Charlotte Wrestlemania 32 to Wrestlemania 33 1 v 1 Losses: 13, 11 pins/subs, 2 DQ's, 4 title losses, 2 failed shots.

4/11 RAW v Natalya via DQ (Title Match)

5/9 v Paige (non-title)

5/31 Smackdown v Becky Lynch via DQ (non-title)

6/13 RAW v Paige (non-title)

7/25 RAW v Sasha Banks (Title Change)

9/5 RAW v Bayley (non-title)

10/3 RAW v Sasha Banks (Title Change)

11/28 RAW vs. Sasha Banks (Title Change)

12/19 RAW vs. Bayley (non-title)

2/13 RAW vs. Bayley (Title Change)

2/20 RAW vs. Sasha Banks

Fastlane 2017 vs Bayley (Title Match)

Wrestlemania 33 pinned by Bayley in the 4 way eliimination match (Title Match)

Covered that goalpost.

That's sure a lot of pins/tap outs she ate.  So no, your argument is still ridiculous. She was in no way booked like 2003 Triple H, your hate-on for her notwithstanding.  As far as her getting wins back from Sasha, not her fault Sasha kept getting hurt taking dumb ass bumps.

3 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

kept getting hurt taking dumb ass bumps.

She was hurt once.... for two weeks....    none of Charlotte's losses mattered just like Hunter because she always got the wins back and then some and on the important stage.  Everyone else was treated as a nothing just like they're doing to Naomi now. 

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

She was hurt once.... for two weeks....    none of Charlotte's losses mattered just like Hunter because she always got the wins back and then some and on the important stage.  Everyone else was treated as a nothing just like they're doing to Naomi now. 

Charlotte never beat Paige in the timeframe's given, she has a losing record against Bayley who beat her AT FUCKING WRESTLEMANIA, and is roughly .500 against Sasha.  For fucks sake, stop talking out your ass and look it up.  We get it, you love Sasha and Charlotte pissed in your cornflakes, but really, you're not even accurate.

2 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

Bayley was treated as a nothing? Got a bunch of wins, ended the streak, beat her clean at Mania, and Charlotte left the show. You seem mainly upset that they didn't push Sasha instead. That's about it.

They've fucked up Bayley so badly that she's receiving boos. They built everything around Charlotte.  Bayley was dropping nothing matches to Charlotte before she went on this recent run and won the title. 

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They've fucked up Bayley so badly that she's receiving boos. They built everything around Charlotte.  Bayley was dropping nothing matches to Charlotte before she went on this recent run and won the title. 

The facts say:

Bayley is 5-2 v Charlotte in singles matchs (including Mania and the Clash 3 way)

Try again.

• Like 1

Just now, Raziel403 said:

Now your just deflecting.

Not really, I felt they did a horrible job with the division.  Charlotte held the belt too long and too often and went over at every big show.  Bayley lost matches to her, Dana Brooke, Nia and then won the title on a random RAW.   Sasha held the title 3 times for a total of two months.  Never got a PPV win.   Everything revolved around Charlotte and her longwinded promos. Nobody really got over.  Bayley isn't as over as she should be.  

It reminds me a lot of Hunter in 2003 era.  He held the title too long. He always got his wins back. His promos were long and boring and went nowhere. Nobody got over. And when he did drop falls they were in situations that didn't matter or he just got the win back.  Goldberg should have won at SummerSlam and didn't.  

Sasha should have won at Mania or Hell in a Cell and didn't win either. Bayley's first title reign shouldn't have been off a random RAW either. 

Except that the actual records say the only clean fall Trip dropped singles in 03 was Goldberg.  He got that back.

Charlotte dropped more falls, and only got the wins back against Sasha.  She didn't against Bayley, or Paige.  You can't dispute that, it's in black and white, clear as crystal and takes 30 seconds to look up on Cagematch.  

You can argue that the division hasn't been great, and that's been on booking.  Bayley is more a product of her gimmick not translating well out of NXT and being exposed as being overrated as hell and not as good outside of the more protected NXT environment.  Sasha has had no problems being over, despite her short reigns.  And the bookers haven't cared about anyone outside of Charlotte, Sasha, and Becky past Mania 32 until the brand split.  Bayley isn't going to light the world on fire.  And the loss to Dana was a fucking botch that didn't appear that it was supposed to be clean (I watched it, Dana was trying to go for the ropes and missed), and Nia having Bayley's number fits the narrative that Cole went over and over Monday about Nia being "The most dominate force in WWE".  She's been pretty damn protected.  

The division isn't great, but in no way has it been Trips ego stroking fest that was 2003.  I don't see Charlotte going overt racist and taking 20 seconds post Natural Selection to pin anyone that by all rights should've won the match.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

The division isn't great, but in no way has it been Trips ego stroking fest that was 2003.  I don't see Charlotte going overt racist and taking 20 seconds post Natural Selection to pin anyone that by all rights should've won the match.

Probably not but my fear of this becoming the Charlotte show over on SDL is looking closer to reality. First week and she's already beaten Naomi.  Next week she takes the strap? Maybe not but would anyone really be surprised by that? Naomi and the other women deserve a chance, especially Naomi. 

I thought Raw was the stronger show before the draft, but damn, this sucked. All I really care about is Joe and Jericho, and Jericho is about to leave. Braun is fun, but nothing I can't miss. Alexa sucked all the life out of the Women's Division. After being one of the lone Raw>SD voices around here, I'm moving to Saul and baseball on Mondays amd rasslin Tuesdays. I'll time back in when Finn gets healthy enough to steal Roman's push and Corey starts quoting Anselmo again.