DVDVR Message Board

Payback V

Dolfan in NYC

Just watched the pre-show...well, I half watched the tag match but did watch the entire Miz TV segment. Miz and Maryse are on fire right now: their snide impersonations of Balor were amazing...but my favorite part had to be Finn politely asking Maryse to move, right before he kicked the shit out of her husband.

9 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

The Sling Blade may not be Finn's finisher, but it's still one of his signature moves. If Cena started doing the Drive-By kick regularly, it'd similarly raise eyebrows

Seth was doing the Sling Blade semi-regularly in his title run two years ago when he first started aping Tanahashi. He's been using it on the main roster almost as long as Finn has been in the company.

If anything this is the problem with so many IWC raised indie guys coming in. A lot of overlap in signature offense.

EDIT: A quick Google found a Squared Circle thread saying he cribbed it from JTG (first to use it in WWE apparently) from 2014 during the Shield/Wyatts feud. So Seth has officially been using it since before Finn was signed. Also STOP MAKING ME DEFEND SETH.

• Like 3

Alvarez has some buttery-smooth hot takes on Sheamus kicking the fuck out of Jeff Hardy's mouth:

"Jeff Hardy was not moving. He was not crawling. He was absolutely, positively as still as could be. He sat up and he gave himself to his opponent to kick him. Sheamus had a non-moving target. All he had to do was kick him in the chest, the shoulder or whatever. This fucking guy kicks Jeff Hardy right in the fucking mouth and knocks his tooth out.

Number one: How you can be that bad at your job is hard to fathom. Number two: Jeff wasn't moving a fucking muscle. This guy kicked him in the mouth and knocked his tooth out.

If this would have been the first time, fine. No - Sheamus is the guy who ended the career of Daniel Bryan! How? Well, Daniel Bryan was laying there, giving the guy his head, Sheamus booted him as hard as he fucking could, gave him a concussion and that was the end of Daniel Bryan's career!

You fucking suck at your job! I would NEVER wrestle you! In a thousand years, for no amount of money, would I wrestle Sheamus. I have no respect for him as a worker. I would not hire him. Quite frankly, if it were my company I'd fire him! I'd go, 'Head out there, get on the indy scene and practice because you suck, and if you get better you can come back.' Can we fucking - stop - hurting people?"

• Like 2

Just now, Marty Sugar said:

There seems to be a double-standard with Sheamus: if he boots the fuck out of Enzo's skull, everyone laughs and cheers...but kicking Hardy in the face "a little" too hard is wrong? Come on...

Yes, but no one likes Enzo. :)

2 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

There seems to be a double-standard with Sheamus: if he boots the fuck out of Enzo's skull, everyone laughs and cheers...but kicking Hardy in the face "a little" too hard is wrong? Come on...

It's fun to see people boot Enzo in the face, but in a worked way that actually doesn't hurt the guy.  For the sake of safety there shouldn't be this double standard.  I get what Bryan's getting at though even if the facts don't line up with what he's saying.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

The Sling Blade isn't Finn's finisher. It's a signature move/transition move for him too. Finn's finishers are the Coup de Grace and whatever Finn calls Bloody Sunday.

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

The Bloody Sunday is "1916" now. I last remember him hitting it on Owens during their NXT title match in Japan, where the crowd would of course respond to the move. 

1916 is the year that the Easter Rising went down, so Finn remains consistent about naming the move after a significant event in Irish history.

This is from a match of mine on April 22: a simple cutoff by The Great Kasaki accidentally caught me in the back of the skull, and I saw stars...and clearly hit the mat in a hurry.

giphy.gif

Kasaki is not reckless, and wasn't looking for a receipt or trying to end my career. Sometimes guys get stiffed: it's pro wrestling, not fucking ballet. I highly doubt Sheamus hurt Jeff on purpose...and especially don't agree with this "he ended Daniel Bryan's career" nonsense, because Sheamus and Bryan worked together for years and respected the Hell out of each other.

• Like 7

Yeah, Alvarez's rant was really cringe worthy. Dave sounded like he came close to calling him out on his bullshit because it was the second time in a few hours that Alvarez ranted about it. Like, it's clear he doesn't like Sheamus, but to then go and say that Sheamus is dangerous or whatever the fuck is a stretch. Daniel Bryan's career was over no matter what. The benefit of hindsight tells us he was always another concussion away from being shelved.

Sheamus has worked with damn near everyone in that company for a gang of years. He isn't exactly leaving a ton of bodies in his wake.

• Like 3

I find myself listening to WOR a lot less lately, just because Alvarez seems to somehow be getting worse. They were talking about TNA tapings results last week, and he kept harping on how there was no explanation for Josh Matthews coming back, and you'd have thought they were talking about someone committing war crimes. As challenging as it can be to listen to Dave sometimes, at least he knows not to expect 1985 Watts level of storyline continuity and kayfabe maintenance in 2017. Alvarez is basically Skip Bayliss at this point.

1 hour ago, Marty Sugar said:

This is from a match of mine on April 22: a simple cutoff by The Great Kasaki accidentally caught me in the back of the skull, and I saw stars...and clearly hit the mat in a hurry.

giphy.gif

Kasaki is not reckless, and wasn't looking for a receipt or trying to end my career. Sometimes guys get stiffed: it's pro wrestling, not fucking ballet. I highly doubt Sheamus hurt Jeff on purpose...and especially don't agree with this "he ended Daniel Bryan's career" nonsense, because Sheamus and Bryan worked together for years and respected the Hell out of each other.

I kinda wanna see more of this match, fwiw.

• Like 3

Jeff was obviously concussed as fuck for the rest of the match. That spot where Matt had to audibly yell "wrong corner" as Jeff set up for the tag on the wrong side was tough to watch.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, speaking of hot takes...

I would hope not, she's only 25.

18 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Jeff was obviously concussed as fuck for the rest of the match. That spot where Matt had to audibly yell "wrong corner" as Jeff set up for the tag on the wrong side was tough to watch.

Not saying he wasn't, but he looked concussed as fuck during the singles match with Cesaro a few weeks back too.  

Would it really be that surprising if "concussed as fuck" was just Jeff's normal sorta tired look at this point?

• Like 1

Just to add to the Sheamus/Jeff thing, the second Sheamus kicks Jeff he grabs him to check he's okay. He realized it was accidentally stiff. Happens all the time.

I do question Sheamus and Cesaro's offense after the fact, though. Too much high impact: lock in a fucking chinlock or a bearhug and give Jeff some time to recover. Not the time to get your shit in, boys.

• Like 4

Yeah, Alvarez is clearly being moronic here. Blaming Sheamus for ending the career of the man who used to headbutt ring posts and has had numerous concussions is a real reach, and it's not like he was able to provide any other examples of Sheamus wrecking his opponents. 

• Like 2