DVDVR Message Board

Payback V

Dolfan in NYC

Joe/Rollins was the kind of match you could use to practice commentary with: simple story told well by guys who can go.

Reigns/Strowman was the kind of match you mistake for a bear attack.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I thought Chris Jericho would retain the WWE United States Championship at WrestleMania XXXIII and drop it to Kevin Owens at this show. Shame KO's already lost it with his red white and blue ring gear and The New Face of America entrance graphics on this show.

Given the current state of US politics, I find it very unflattering that the New Face of America is Canadian.

No need to switch it that quick. The tour starts 5/18 (In Patchouge?  Is that where he's from?)

Anyway, that's the Thursday after Backlash, where I'm positive he drops it to AJ (or Owens). 

2 hours ago, El Dragon said:

May I just note as a member of the Seth Rollins is awful round circle, he was pretty good yesterday. No real WTF leg sell moments. It was Joes match, but Rollins didn't ruin it.

Yeah. I hate Seth a lot, but when he's not being aggressively dumb he can actually be okay. He was super improved by the WWE system until he got big enough that they let him do what he wanted and it fluctuated between spotty HHH sendup, spotty Tanahashi ripoff, and just spotty dickhead. It's way more frustrating since he *can* be a lot of fun when he's not being an idiot.

Anyway, tonight he wasn't an idiot and that match was a lot of fun. And credit where it's due, that was one of the better selljobs a guy can have when he's gotta do flying spots following kneework.

EDIT TO CLARIFY: Knee story makes sense because of how central the injury was to the feud, Seth was always gonna have to blow it off at times for parts of his offense to work but he mostly did a good job making it look like bursts of fighting through pain rather than ignoring it. And while that sometimes meant going for a pin *then* selling, it kept the nearfalls hot without burying Joe for having more time to recover and still nearly losing. Basically the points at which his selling got spotty were necessary to the match and he legit handled it very well and ugh defending Seth feels gross but if I can't acknowledge when he's done well I'm no better than the dudes who think Roman can't wrestle.

• Like 6

I'm at the stage where I actively avoid Rollins matches. The HHH match had him trying to build a match around selling and it was pretty crummy. While I fully believe the Joe match was good, I think I'm going to stay away until @El Dragon says that Rollins was good for three matches in a row.

1 minute ago, JonnyLaw said:

Changing up KO's entrance graphic and getting new gear made seems to be a page out of the debut new AJ/Jericho shirts right before Jericho turns playbook.

Eh, I'll still buy it.  I need a shirt for July 4th anyway. 

The Sling Blade isn't Finn's finisher. It's a signature move/transition move for him too. Finn's finishers are the Coup de Grace and whatever Finn calls Bloody Sunday.

I think they went into House of Horrors knowing it wasn't going to win any Match of the Year awards. They wanted it to be a bit ridiculous. 

As a one off idea, it was mildly amusing. The deliberately cheesy horror movie music in the background made me smile. 

It might be better if you see the whole match as a spoof of scary movies, I dunno.

Orton as he cautiously approached that house seemed like every 'final girl' character ever.

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The Sling Blade isn't Finn's finisher. It's a signature move/transition move for him too. Finn's finishers are the Coup de Grace and whatever Finn calls Bloody Sunday.

21 minutes ago, Eivion said:

When was that ever his finisher? It was a transition move for Tanahashi in NJPW.

I just know that the announce team made a big deal of him hitting the Sling Blade on Miz, so I just assumed he was using it now (since those kind of things usually end with the face hitting their finisher).  I figured he might've changed his game up since returning from the injury.

That was the best I've seen Aries look in WWE so far, and Neville has been excellent as the heel ace of 205 . Totally unprofessional kick by Sheamus that knocked Jeff's tooth out. The Hardys could have a good tag match in their sleep at this point, and Cersaro was a beast this match. Too bad we'll have to wait on that Revival/Hardys match. The fact they cut to the international broadcast teams during Bayley's big hometown entrance should show everyone what the think of her. Alexa's transition forearm shot was great. I think that was pretty easily Alexa's best match that I've seen. Bayley will most likely be her best opponent, and the match layout here was really good. Now can I get some Sasha vs Emma matches instead of them doing nothing?

Overproduction hurt the Bray/Orton stuff. They had a decent brawl, but the silly production stuff ruined it. I have no interest in Rollins/Joe. Rollins is Rollins, and Joe hasn't had an inspired performance since Dallas Takeover last Mania weekend. How the hell did Roman get cleared for this match he looked like a mummy coming to the ring. Way to put over your medical staff WWE. Roman's opening punch was greatness. Stroman needs better offense. Let him start doing a powerbomb. That was a good performance from Stroman, but a really top notch performance from Reigns. Really good job by Bayley and Roman in elevating two up and coming top heels this show.