DVDVR Message Board

Payback V

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

If Braun loses, hell, even if he doesn't win in a convincing fashion, I'm done. I'm honestly close to being done after Braun lost to Kalisto.

Especially to a Roman Reigns who only dislocated his shoulder considering all Braunnnnn did to him backstage.

Is a dislocated shoulder the smartest worked injury to use right now for a 2 week absence? Considering Finn missed 6 months, Rusev is out until June, and Cesaro and Orton both had to miss Wrestlemania a few years back all due to shoulder injury. I know I'm picking nits, but it just strikes me as extra silly that Roman can come back in two weeks from injuries that most of the roster had to take months off for.

• Like 3

Our sports entertainers don't get injured, pal (Until they actually get injured)!

Another thing that bugged me about the go home Raw was the continued bizarre use of Finn Balor. Finn once again tags with Seth and this time against former stablemates. Finn has "Balor Club" on his wrestling gear and KA has #BC on his gear (which, yes, I know refers to Bullet Club), but here we are with them squaring off against each other. None of this shit makes an ounce of sense.

For fucks sake, Jericho and Ambrose had a couple lines to explain their past history and why they would work with each other and it made all the sense in the world. That's all it fucking takes! And on the same show, the writers can't even be bothered to delve into anything with Finn, Seth, and the Good Brothers.

And now Finn is just doing a "talk show" segment on the pre-show that probably gets less viewers than Camp WWE.

This shit is just so frustrating to watch sometimes.

I'll crib from r/sc... My guess is The Club was taking one for the team, and HHH's ultimate revenge for Mania is having Finn turn on Rollins and have Joe beat him because of it. 

4 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'll crib from r/sc... My guess is The Club was taking one for the team, and HHH's ultimate revenge for Mania is having Finn turn on Rollins and have Joe beat him because of it. 

They need faces who are over as faces.

16 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I mean, I guess they could do that, but like Matt said, they need faces that are actually over as faces. Also like you said, it's not a good idea. I don't know. It would at least make some sense for Finn to be so quiet over these last few weeks and to play less to the crowd, but that would require WWE creative to actually be creative and I don't think they have that in them.

Also, their biggest face at the moment is Braun and they keep having him do these freak things thinking the audience will boo him, but the audience loves what perceives to be a legit spectacle and Braun is the biggest spectacle in WWE at the moment. That's WWE creative basically tripping into success and they'll piss it away by continuing to try and write Braun as a heel character when that's what the audience craves more than anything. And by making him a heel character, that will involve losing to who creative thinks is a face, which will eventually just lead to diminishing returns, and the completion of a self-fulfilling prophecy to say "see, told ya so, Braun really wasn't that over." It's the Ryback effect. Against all odds, Braun is fighting against that effect, but you can only fight against that for so long.

So yeah, given that, no fucking way could I see Finn playing out some kind of long con with Seth or WWE doing anything meaningful with the Club.

I do think there's value in Finn as 1997 tweener Sting, where he acts mysteriously, takes out people without explanation and always is in the paint. Because they didn't debut him that way, however, they'd have to build to it somehow. The other problem is that his real life personality is more wiener than tweener. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I do think there's value in Finn as 1997 tweener Sting, where he acts mysteriously, takes out people without explanation and always is in the paint. Because they didn't debut him that way, however, they'd have to build to it somehow. The other problem is that his real life personality is more wiener than tweener. 

Given how the camera zooms and pans when he poses on the ring apron, I think they're already leaning in to that aspect of his... personality.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm honestly close to being done after Braun lost to Kalisto.

Man, you're treating Kalisto getting a lucky break in a gimmick match as if it's the same thing as if Kalisto went over Strowman decisively with a pinfall? You think Strowman losing that match hurts him in any way?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

Is a dislocated shoulder the smartest worked injury to use right now for a 2 week absence? Considering Finn missed 6 months, Rusev is out until June, and Cesaro and Orton both had to miss Wrestlemania a few years back all due to shoulder injury. I know I'm picking nits, but it just strikes me as extra silly that Roman can come back in two weeks from injuries that most of the roster had to take months off for.

Hearing you describe it leads me to assume that's exactly why they're doing it.

They know we know who's out with an injured what and for how long.

THE POWER OF ROMAN REIGNS~!  MARVEL AT HOW HE RECOVERS IN JUST TWO WEEKS FROM THE SAME INJURY THAT KEPT MERE MORTALS OUT FOR SIX MONTHS.

On 26 April 2017 at 7:21 AM, Hail Sabin said:

The way Kalisto beat Braun is how Cody beat Big Show for the IC Title at Extreme Rules 2012.

Cody paid for it. Damn.

Extreme Rules 2012 is one of WWE's best ever shows. Glad I decided to watch it live from 1am-4am in the early hours of Monday morning.

Balor has gotten about as much character development on the main roster as Bayley and Alpha which amounts to about zero. Rollins got a bunch of road to recovery videos from his injury as a heel, and to my knowledge Balor hasn't gotten anything like that. Have they even mentioned him wanting to win the title back he lost due to injury or are we just supposed to assume everyone knows Brock wont defend the belt until Summer Slam?

The thing I'm looking forward to most on this show is to see if Orton and Bray will go full Kennel From Hell and be one of the worst matches ever. If their Mania match is anything to go by they have it in them.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, The Natural said:

Actually that reaction goes for all of us here when Roman Reigns defeats Braun Strowman on this show.

(COUGH)

The truth of the matter is Reigns/Strowman shouldn't be in a program together right now.  Heck, they shouldn't have ever feuded to this point.  There was a future WM main event right before them, but WWE just couldn't help themselves.

Neither guy should lose on Sunday.  A Strowman loss stops his progress after they nearly derailed him hanyway with a few weeks of wonky booking. But why would they have the guy who just retired the Undertaker lose his first PPV following that feat? Both need protection.  Reigns can better absorb the loss because of the injury angle plus real-life issues that can be somewhat referenced. But why burn that equity so soon?

IMO, the best thing to do is have the two start fighting outside the ring with the match never actually taking place.  Let them beat the sin out of each other and have a major pull-apart sequence.  From there, have Angle be forced to make a choice on RAW about how to handle the situation, because it's clear Reigns and Strowman can't coexist. If they're still committed to a Strowman-Lesnar match in July, then send Reigns to SDL and worry about getting him back to RAW later. And it also allows for a future Strowman-Reigns program in the next year or so, provided Braun has been kept viable.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Sin Carne said:

Payback betting talk

Reveal hidden contents

Sky has Jericho at 1/25 to win tonight. It could be a Count Out or DQ win theoretically, but they think it's pretty likely he's going over

Strowman is also 1/25 fwiw.

Hardys are 1/50 tho

Spoiler

Based on huge betting swings, sounds like the finish with Bayley/Alexa was changed between yesterday and today.

2 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Owens is on Smackdown regardless of the result tonight yeah?

I could see Jericho getting the win and the title, before dropping it to AJ and then heading off for a while. Owens and AJ then feud without having to face each other for the initial title switch and then if/when Jericho comes back he is on SmackDown.

When Owens was on commentary, someone made the point that, if Jericho wins, he would join Owens on Smackdown.

• Like 1