DVDVR Message Board

Which of these movies belongs in the 2017 Summer Blockbuster Pool?

S.K.o.S.

Which of these movies belongs in the 2017 Summer Blockbuster Pool?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these movies belongs in the 2017 Summer Blockbuster Pool?

• King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (May 12; Annabelle Wallis, Charlie Hunnam)
    • It Comes At Night (Jun 9; Riley Keough, Joel Edgerton)
    • Rough Night (Jun 16; Scarlett Johansson, Kate McKinnon)
    • The House (Jun 30; Will Ferrell, Amy Poehler)
    • Amityville: The Awakening (Jun 30; Mckenna Grace, Cameron Monaghan)
    • Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Jul 21; Cara Delevigne, Dane DeHaan)
    • Annabelle: Creation (Aug 11; Miranda Otto, Alicia Vela-Bailey)
    • The Hitman's Bodyguard (Aug 18; Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L. Jackson)

Copy & pasting from prior years:

If you're new here, we run this pool where I put up a list of 20 movies coming out this summer, and people rank them based on predicted box office take and critical reception.

In the past, I've missed putting some movies on the list that should've been there (e.g. Bridesmaids) and put some movies on the list that should not have been there (e.g. My Life In Ruins).  So for the past few years, the selection of the borderline movies has been up to you.

I already have 18 movies selected.  I'm looking to fill the last 2 spots.  The top 2 vote-getters in this poll will be included in this year's pool.

You basically want to vote for the movie that you think will end up having the most people talking about it.  Like, the kind of movie that if it wasn't on the list, we'd be thinking "Oh man, how did we miss that one?"

I pretty much voted for the King Arthur movie for the exact opposite reasons RIPPA voted for Valerian. It's the movie I know the most about since I've seen the most ads for it so it's less likely to bomb my list if I play. 

I am a simple person.

Ugh, they announced that "Detroit" movie for early August, which I hadn't taken into consideration yet and could very well make an impact.

I saw the talk about it on here earlier this week but wasn't even sure if it would be a wide release (I say this because Hurt Locker was never a wide release).  Now I see that Detroit will.

11 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

I pretty much voted for the King Arthur movie for the exact opposite reasons RIPPA voted for Valerian. It's the movie I know the most about since I've seen the most ads for so it's less likely to bomb my list if I play. 

I am a simple person.

Well to be fair - I probably wouldn't put Valerine on own personal list due to the wild card factor it

But I want movies that OTHERS might foolishly put on their lists

I voted for Valerian.

Since it is the movie that is most likely candidate to totally screw up the pool by being either a praised sleeper hit or a hated bomb, no one will be brave enough to place it on their ballot.

It actually works better than King Arthur as a strategic pick as there are movies coming out this summer that will probably make the pool list that are just as likely to be as reviled as the King Arthur abomination, so its RT ranking may not be the total drizzling shits when compared to... let's say....  the new Pirates of the Caribbean joint for example.  Ugh... :wacko:

It Comes At Night would've been my other pick since I expect it to be critically acclaimed enough to be placed in a respectful position on my RT list and I would avoid putting it on my Box  Office  list like the plague since it is likely to only have moderate financial success.

42 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh King Arthur is most certainly going to be on my RT list

Dead last or one slot above the new Pirates of the Caribbean joint that will be dead last?

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm even surprised Amityville: The Awakening made THIS list. That shit was filmed YEARS ago. How hard up for money are you that this movie is one of your big summer releases?

I was just thinking Jason Blum.  But yeah, they call Blumhouse the "Pixar of horror" now but it's not exactly the guarantee of quality or money that Pixar used to be.