DVDVR Message Board

Tony Salazar, Mogur y Alfonso Dantes vs. Hombre Bala, Talisman y Tony Bennetto vs. Satanico, MS-1 y Masakre (4/10/87)

Phil Schneider

• 1 month later...

The all trios disk ends with a four way trios.  You can't write this stuff.

There's a fourth team missing from this listing: Ringo Mendoza, Atlantis and Javier Llanes.

What we get here are two one-fall match ups where the winners advance to a standard three fall trios.  First two match ups are fun stuff if unspectacular, the ending to the second match is really cool as Satanico breaks up La Estrella for the win and keeps sitting in the pin afterward triumphantly.  Final match up is good as well with Dantes going off on Los Infernales to end the first fall and a good rudo beatdown to start the second.  Plenty of neat stuff in all this but toward the lower end of the trios for me.

• 2 weeks later...

This starts off all chippy with people taking potshots at each other while the announcer's still reading the rules. Not even the rudos are getting along as los Infernales seem to have it out for Hombre Bala. I'll break this down by match.

Salazar/Mogur/Dantes vs. Bala/Talisman/Bennetto:

Never seen Mogur before. He almost runs off the suitably scummy-looking Tony Bennetto, then later works a fun little segment with Talisman and Bala. Lots of rudo miscommunication in this one. Talisman actually gives up without a fight and powders to end the match. 

Satanico/MS-1/Masakre vs. Mendoza/Atlantis/Llanes:

God, everyone hates los Infernales. They're such a great rudo team, gesturing, talking shit, making faces, lying to the ref. I like how La Estrella is broken up and turns right into MS-1 and Masakre wishboning Llanes. 

Salazar/Mogur/Dantes vs. Satanico/MS-1/Masakre:

We open with Infernales already beating on Dantes. He kind of plays the Super Porky role of fat (granted, not Super Porky fat), hapless tecnico that gets beat up and sells a lot but has great comebacks. MS-1 and Masakre get pinned leaving a begging Satanico to the wolves. Infernales win segunda caida with a nutty multi-man submission and finally we get a three-way pin/sub finish that the crowd is not happy about. Afterwards Dantes is still pissed and bests Satanico in a boxing match before tossing him into the seats.

This could have been a really great and chaotic match if they played it like a cibernetico and had elimination rules. The havoc hinted at in the pre-match was a cocktease. Still worth watching for Infernales being themselves: completely shitheaded rudos. 

Tournament lucha often makes me feel really sad as cool looking matches just end up being tasty snacks as opposed to satisfying meals. Lumping those matches together here makes it at least a little more tolerable. The result is way less satisfying than the singles elimination match earlier in the set as with so many people involved this just feels like a collection of spots and highlights. The final trios match is pretty good and that triple team sub Los Infernales uses in the second fall is the best multiman sub I've ever seen. The other notable spot is Los Infernales countering La Estrella which was really cool and unexpected. This is fun but is still a bottom half match because of how disjointed it felt.

• 9 months later...

I agree that this had some fun moments, and some cool moments, but it ends up slightly into my lower half.  It took me a while to figure out the rules and the teams.  Los Infernales were a lot of fun to watch and got great heat.  The pre-match chaos was fun but kind of went nowhere as the first two teams matched up.  I dug the ending to the second match as well, with a rudo getting dropped onto Atlantis for a pin to counter the double-submission attempt.  The ending was surprising and abrupt, but it worked.  I wonder whether this led to any sort of Dantes/Salazar feud, or if it was just an accident.  Dantes pummeling of Satanico post-match was fun as well.  However, disjointed was the word, and the overall structure of this match brings it down for me a bit.

• 3 months later...

I kind of liked this actually. The first two matches were short and sweet, I actually thought they benefited from the focus that the 1 fall format brought. Especially liked all the stooging in the first match with Talisman and company. I liked the 3 way submission everyone else mentioned and liked a lot of the stuff between Dantes/Satanico in general. The counter of La Estrella was also a highlight for me and I really like how both times we've seen that countered it meant the end for the tecnicos. It feels like an all or nothing type move where if you manage to finish it off it's a sure fire win but if the rudos counter it probably means you lose.