DVDVR Message Board

2017 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

Follow up on LaVar Ball... he's got two other sons who are good at basketball too.  They play in high school at Chino Hills High.  

And Ball's just gotten their coach fired.  His record in his single season as HC was 30-3. 

Oh, this man is going to be a pleasure to deal with at the NBA level. 

On Monday, May 01, 2017 at 11:17 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Follow up on LaVar Ball... he's got two other sons who are good at basketball too.  They play in high school at Chino Hills High.  

And Ball's just gotten their coach fired.  His record in his single season as HC was 30-3. 

Oh, this man is going to be a pleasure to deal with at the NBA level. 

If I'm a parent with a kid in that school I'd be calling for the head of the AD and any other weasel responsible for this. What message does firing that coach send other than they have no spine or integrity whatsoever. Who gives a flying fuck if his kids go elsewhere, it's fucking high school basketball not the NBA. Being an institution of learning might be more important no?

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

If I'm a parent with a kid in that school I'd be calling for the head of the AD and any other weasel responsible for this. What message does firing that coach send other than they have no spine or integrity whatsoever. Who gives a flying fuck if his kids go elsewhere, it's fucking high school basketball not the NBA. Being an institution of learning might be more important no?

It could be argued that losing three games when you have a player on your team capable of scoring 92 points in a game is unacceptable.  Here is a short list of things that are worse than Lavar Ball in the last 100 years of basketball.

1. Murder of Patrick Dennehy
  2. Hank Gathers
  3. Malice in the Palace
  4. Gilbert Arenas bringing guns to work
  5. Kermit Washington almost killing Rudy Tomjonavich
  6. Most of Bobby Knight's career
  7. The fact that the NCAA makes billions off of March Madness, but the players don't get paid
  8. Len Bias
  9. That time that dude's leg broke and the bone was sticking out...I think he played for Louisville
  10. umm...that time someone killed a dude with a table leg in a pickup game Ron Artest was playing in
  11. Shaq's acting
  12. Derrick Rose's knee turning to dust as soon as he was reaching his prime
  13. All the random dudes in the 90s who's knees turned to dust as they were reaching their prime

99995515919856165015616516506506515612665. Lavar Ball trying to get a shoe contract for his sons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

The guy stopped being amusing in any way after he made racist comments about his son's "slow white" teammates.

Oh boy, we got different definitions of racism, clearly. At least, in terms of severity.*

* I was born and raised in a town that's at least 80% African-American. 

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Oh boy, we got different definitions of racism, clearly. At least, in terms of severity.*

* I was born and raised in a town that's at least 80% African-American. 

How is the comment not racist? He could've said slow teammates, he added the white thing. It was clearly meant as a slur implying that white people are slow/inferior players.

11 minutes ago, sabremike said:

How is the comment not racist?

Yeah, I get what he said. I just think that your average person isn't going to care what their friend's crazy dad said especially something that's been around for at least three decades. Your average pick up game (and I'm not talking about a bunch of old dudes at a YMCA) has some nasty, vile shit that would hurt the regular person's feelings.  He isn't their coach or AD. He's a sports dad, and most of them truly don't give a shit about anyone except their kids. He's like literally ALL the dudes who had sons who played ball when I was growing up. I come from a small ass town Mississippi, and there is at least three or four of those Lavar Ball type dudes (especially around tournament time) at every HS basketball game. So I know in Los Angeles, there have to be hundreds of those dudes running around. If someone is offended that he said white boys are slow on the court...shit life is going to get way tougher than that. That's a goddamn blip on the radar. 

8 hours ago, elizium said:

Those are pretty nice shoes.

They don't look awful. The problem is they look like Kobe's shoe, but with a knock off Boost sole at the heel. So the sneaker community, who are the only people this shoe could be marketed too, see this as a overly expensive immitation of brand name shoes.

They're better looking than Steph Curry's, so that's something.

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

They're better looking than Steph Curry's, so that's something.

The phrase "damning with faint praise" comes to mind.

• Like 1

The 2008 Celtics are apparently mad at Ray Allen for leaving.  In 2017. 

Here is a gif of Ray Allen caring about their opinion:

Ray+Allen+OT+Three.gif

• Like 1

After watching his father introduce a $500 shoe, ridicule Michael Jordan because "He can't sell no $500 shoe", and now going at Kobe, I wouldn't draft Lonzo Ball in the top 3 or 5, Too much Todd Marinovich going on there. Deadly to a team's sense of togetherness.

There was an ESPN insider article last week detailing the Fultz and Lonzo dilemma. It broke down their projected stats and it came off to me that Fultz isn't a spectacular prospect and doesn't rank all that favourably compared to other first overall picks but he's safe. Lonzo has some stat projections that would have him jump into the league as an impact player and could develop into a top player. Fultz was a guy that's said to work in any system whereas Lonzo's usefulness will depend more on how the team plays and who's around him. I'd take Ball, daddy issues and all.

2 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

After watching his father introduce a $500 shoe, ridicule Michael Jordan because "He can't sell no $500 shoe", and now going at Kobe, I wouldn't draft Lonzo Ball in the top 3 or 5, Too much Todd Marinovich going on there. Deadly to a team's sense of togetherness.

Marinovich is the name that continually comes to mind about all this bullshit.

Also: GODDAMMIT. I just realized that he could possibly be a Laker.