DVDVR Message Board

2017 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

To both Dirk and Carlisle's enormous credit, they figured out how to make what's left of Nowitzki useful for yet another year.

I'm not upset the Pistons fired Carlisle way back when (I mean a title and damn close to a second makes the Brown mini-era way better) but damn he was good here, good in Indy, and found a perfect fit in Dallas.

To be fair, I don't think anyone at the time realized how much of a mid-game mastermind he was(or did they? Early 2000's is my NBA dark period). We didn't see Rick make something out of literally nothing back then, the way he has the last 5 years.

He turned the Pistons around and into a contender pretty much instantly and was coach of the year in 2002. We knew he was good. Only reason he was fired was Larry Brown becoming available and Brown pushed it over the finish line after Carlisle got swept in the ECF.

He may very well have won a title if they hadn't fired him (and almost certainly he wouldn't have been flirting with the Knicks job during the fucking finals) and he also might have won one in Indy if not for the Malice at the Palace.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So OKC. This season gets a pass because obviously they were still built around Durant being their main superstar. 

But if they want to focus on Westbrook and want him to put up Harden-like MVP numbers, they need shooters and spacing and a sure-handed pick and roll big man. So, basically, they need to get rid of everyone.

But imagine a world where an unselfish Westbrook driving the lane and kicking it out to 4 solid shooters on the perimeter, or running a pick and roll with lobs into alley oops. Unstoppable.

I don't know if it's ever gonna happen in OKC, but maybe when Westbrook and Paul George end up in LA. 

148(!) underclassmen have declared for the NBA Draft.  

I'm not saying something needs to be done about 120 kids, who will never sniff the NBA, throwing away their future, but...

Something needs to be done about 120 kids, who will never sniff the NBA, throwing away their future

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

148(!) underclassmen have declared for the NBA Draft.  

I'm not saying something needs to be done about 120 kids, who will never sniff the NBA, throwing away their future, but...

Something needs to be done about 120 kids, who will never sniff the NBA, throwing away their future

There are 60 or so draft spots total (I'm blanking on if the NBA has 30 or 32 teams. If 32 there are 64 spots). There are 148 underclassmen declaring for the draft. If so many of them are that bad at math I question the college education they have received to this point.

The NCAA changed their rules last year so now kids can declare for the draft and have until 10 days after the draft combine to withdraw and retain eligibility, provided they don't sign with an agent(they can do this twice, a third declaration and their eligibility is gone apparently).  By the list on CBS Sports from yesterday, they have 137 underclassmen declaring(plus another 45 international players), I counted 43 that have signed with an agent.  Most of the ones that haven't signed with an agent will go back to school.  Take the kids from IU for example, four declared but only OG Anunoby signed with an agent.  I guess there is an outside chance someone makes a promise to James Blackmon or Thomas Bryant, but most likely they end up back in Bloomington along with Robert Johnson next fall.  The reason the kids do it is to get feedback from NBA teams on what they need to work on to get drafted in the future.  Sure, sometimes a kid declares like this and gets great feedback and/or even a promise from a team so they go ahead and sign with an agent, but most of them do it to learn what part of their game needs improvement to get drafted.

Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour have all passed on signing projected high lottery pick, Lonzo Ball. 

This is apparently because his father/agent (Red Flag!), LaVar, has told them he wants them to instantly give his son an entire brand and wants to be "Co-branded" rather than signed. They also were presented with shoe prototypes, created by Lonzo's father to make as his first shoe. 

Last week, Nike consultant George Raveling, at SportsBusiness Journal's World Congress of Sports, called LaVar "the worst thing to happen to basketball in the last hundred years."

I wonder if L'Coq Sportif has any interest in making basketball shoes. 

I can't wait for the BBB for Starbury line of shoes.

Lonzo seems like a good enough dude despite all this, I hope he has the sense to sideline his dad as soon as possible.

• Like 2

You think Luke Walton is looking at Kerr being out again, and reports that he might not be able to keep coaching, and starts thinking "why the fuck did I take this Lakers job?"