DVDVR Message Board

2017 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

Also pretty cool that anonymous Boston execs felt the need to shit on IT anonymously to Chris Broussard as they traded him away.  I hope he drops 100 on them on opening night.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Also pretty cool that anonymous Boston execs felt the need to shit on IT anonymously to Chris Broussard as they traded him away.  I hope he drops 100 on them on opening night.

Isn't that like rule one of being an exec of a Boston pro sports team?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

There is video of Celtics fans burning IT's jersey because apparently it's his fault he got traded.

I don't care even if it was only one dude - people are the fucking worst

The people burning the shirts are fucking idiots. He came back and played the day after his SISTER DIED.   He may have been a Celtic and now a Cavalier, but what IT is a Warrior. 

6 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I would also say it is 85% likely Chris Broussard is making this up.

• Like 3

Everyone seems to love IT most people I've talked to are saddened by this trade and I am too.. but there's always a few idiots out there.

That said, I think we are underestimating how much Kyrie wants to light up LeBron too. This very much had to do with Kyrie not wanting to sit through another LeBron decision sideshow. 

So Nerlens turns down 17.5 per year because he wanted Max, then takes 4mil Qualifying offer? He's either a fuckhead or he's brilliant. I'm hoping it's because he finally realized he's not a max guy yet, and wants to play a year healthy and become a max guy.

Rockets owner Leslie Alexander has agreed to sell the team to Houston billionaire Tilman Fertitta for $2.2 billion, a record NBA franchise sales price, a league told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The sale of the Rockets was first reported Tuesday by KRIV-Fox 26 Sports in Houston. The Rockets sale would eclipse the record of Steve Ballmer's $2 billion purchase of the LA Clippers in 2014.

They're fiddling with the draft odds a bit. 

I am sure I posted this before but I have a way to fix the NBA draft if they will only listen!

My idea:

There is a one-week tournament held at the end of the regular season. It is single elimination. They can hold it Vegas or alternate sites every year. There are eight teams in the tournament. They are the eight teams seeded 5-6-7-8 in the playoffs. And the winning team gets the number one draft pick. 

Here are my reasons why:

1) Tanking is dumb. So is, in general, the whole "a great player like Anthony Davis ends up on a shitty franchise" trend. 

2) We want to give an incentive to winning. Now there is so much more of a reason to get into the playoffs, even if it's to get swept by Golden State or Cleveland.

3) There are so many teams in the 5-6-7-8 range that are one player away. Portland has a great backcourt but they're sort of stuck now in the 6-9 range. Memphis the past few years were a pretty beloved team just one great shooter away from doing some real damage. These are all really well-run teams that are just a player short. We should reward them.

ADDED CONSIDERATIONS:

1) Aha! Yes, there is a chance you can jockey to get from the 4 to a 5-6-7-8 seed. So in order to prevent that, all of the higher seeds get FULL HOME COURT ADVANTAGE. Yes. They would host all five games in the first round. Would you want to give up home court just to enter into a single elimination tournament? I wouldn't. In addition, the higher seeded teams also get the benefit of some added rest. 

2) What happens if you are a 5-6-7-8 but you traded your pick? The team you traded your pick for gets to enter the tournament in your place. (And imagine if there's some sort of swap involved? Say Miami had OKC's pick this year. They could decide to play in this year's draft tournament or wait it out for a year. Or what if you're Boston? You're a 2 seed but own, like, Indiana's pick. Do you compete in this thing but risk an injury? Do you trade out your place in the tournament to the highest bidder? NBA Twitter would be the best.)

3) This is only for the top pick. After that, it's a lottery with some adjusted odds. The best you can do is the 2 pick. Then the playoff teams out of the lottery get what they'd lock into under current draft rules.

Everyone would watch the hell out of this, too. 

The reason that idea is completely absurd is this: the entire point of a draft is that it is supposed to give the worst teams first crack at talent so that they can get better  (This is also why lotteries are ridiculous). Your scenario is essentially a draft version of the reverse Robin Hood from Atlas Shrugged.

Wait so yours saying HAVE more basketball when people are already complaining about teams sitting players to get them 'rested' before the playoffs? Also owners would never go for a system where they make the playoffs (thous having to pay the players and coaches) but get no money from it. while 8 others teams get all the money.

3) There are so many teams in the 5-6-7-8 range that are one player away. Portland has a great backcourt but they're sort of stuck now in the 6-9 range. Memphis the past few years were a pretty beloved team just one great shooter away from doing some real damage. These are all really well-run teams that are just a player short. We should reward them.

If there so well run why arn't they using there assets like draft picks and players to get that one missing player? Why haven't they used free agency or the draft to get that player?

Dwayne Wade is not so cryptically saying the Bulls are trying to buy out his contract.  

He wants to play next season, the suitors (and get your shocked faces ready...): Cleveland (where he'd start) and Miami.