DVDVR Message Board

2017 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

• 2 weeks later...

The Cleveland Cavaliers and the Boston Celtics are nearing a deal on a trade centered on All-Star guard Kyrie Irving, league sources tell ESPN.

An agreement hasn't been finalized but Boston and Cleveland are discussing a deal centered around Irving for point guard Isaiah Thomas, forward Jae Crowder and a future first-round draft pick, league sources said.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20421382/sources-cleveland-cavaliers-boston-celtics-close-deal-involving-kyrie-irving-isaiah-thomas

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Ainge fucked up.  No reason to include the Nets pick.  Cavs couldn't have got better than IT, Crowder and Zizic. 

IT essential isn't worth all that much in the big picture. I think you had to include the pick. No one will want to pay him next year, he is coming off a hip injury and is a still midget. Great regular season player, but you're not going anywhere in the playoffs with a 5'8'' dude as your go to guy.  Defenses will still pick on Kyrie, but not nearly as much as they picked on IT.

Crowder has a great contract, but they couldn't give him minutes.

They gave up a lot, but if Kyrie really wants to be the guy.... you have two years to convince him to be your guy.  I really wish that Horford deal was one year shorter. I think Butler would come join Kyrie in two years if the money was there.

Great trade for both teams, really. I think Ainge saw an opening with Bron potentially going out West next year and went for it.  Cle can rebuild with the pick and Boston can control the East for a few years.

Also, I'm seeing a lot of "IT to Kyrie is a lateral move" talking points out there.  That's just an absurd thing to say for so many reasons.

Cleveland vs GS will be interesting this year.  Crowder could be huge for them in that series from a match up perspective.

Well, all those times I said "In Bill We Trust" I guess this is "In Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens We Trust". But Wow. Just plain WOW. I like upgrading to Kyrie, an additional year at non-max contract money (two if he hangs around, but I doubt it), but three players AND the nets pick? I dunno.

Woj says the Celtics are pretty sure they can resign him. That will be the key, a two year rental is not going to make up for all that we're giving up)

It's a big gamble. If the Nets picks ends up going #1 then that's going to be a tough pill to swallow. Also,  as others have pointed out this could be a 2-year rental. 

On the other hand,  IT is coming off an injury and due max money after this season.   Kyrie is younger and better and cheaper. 

IF they can get Kyrie to commit,  you got Kyrie/Hayward/Tatum/Brown that's...  pretty good.  East will be wide open too.  I think this will be Cleveland's last stand for sure. 

5 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

On one hand - keeps the East very interesting. That's going to be an awesome matchup to watch.

On the other, disappointed it pretty much makes it impossible for Wade to come across now. Wonder if it's also an admission from the Cavs they expect Lebron to go next year?

Pfft, none of this keeps the East interesting.  Maybe Boston only loses in 6 now.  The LeBron era is coming to a close but it ain't happening this year.  Barring injury, Cleveland will take most of the season off and will still make the Finals.  The East is so fucking weak.  Cleveland stripping what little challenge they have just makes it worse.  Kyrie for Isaiah and a draft seems fair...but Crowder and Zizic for...nothing?  I would love to play Monopoly with these guys.

3 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

Can anyone help me with this...but isn't there a clause that to be eligible for the Super Max deal (ie the one thats like 200+ million) you cant have been traded?

You have to either be playing for the team that drafted you, or have been traded on your rookie contract.  If you got extended then traded you're not eligible.

6 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

So Boston just f'ed Thomas over for what he had been looking for. Lol

Actually I don't think he was eligible in the first place since he was sign-and-traded from the Kings to the Suns, so he technically signed an extension before he was traded.  He also would have had to to make an all-NBA team or win MVP next year to be eligible.

7 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Actually I don't think he was eligible in the first place since he was sign-and-traded from the Kings to the Suns, so he technically signed an extension before he was traded.  He also would have had to to make an all-NBA team or win MVP next year to be eligible.

oh the NBA CBA is hard to fallow

4 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

oh the NBA CBA is hard to fallow

Ayup, and the DPE is probably one of the more straightforward things in it.  Once you start getting into cap holds and repeater taxes my eyes start to glaze over.

There is video of Celtics fans burning IT's jersey because apparently it's his fault he got traded.

I don't care even if it was only one dude - people are the fucking worst

• Like 1

That's my favorite thing about this trade.  The fans and media members who get indignant about players loyalty now, i.e. KD and Lebron moves, just need to look at this trade.  Isaiah Thomas was out there playing a day or two after his sister died for the Celtics, and I think he was even recruiting to Hayward at some point.  Yesterday: shipped out.  Don't give me the "it was how they did it" BS too.  Haha.

I get being upset about your favorite player moving on to another team, and I'll even listen to the competitive balance shift complaint or two, but the loyalty argument always sounds hollow to me.

IT is loved in Boston last time I was up there were jerseys everywhere he was starting to receive Paul Pierce type of adoration from most fans but there are also a lot of idiots out there too. IT in no way wanted to leave Boston. He finally had a home. Anyone giving him shit is an idiot.