DVDVR Message Board

2017 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

Diekembe is reportedly trying to put together a group to buy the Rockets.

Apparently the owner has also listed three multi-million dollar houses for sale fairly recently, which makes for speculation about a cash flow problem.

Or he's just looking to cash in

Derrick Rose is close to signing a one-year deal with the Cavs for the vet minimum.  But because of the luxury tax he'll end up costing the Cavs a little over $14M.

Sooo, good luck with that.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Derrick Rose is close to signing a one-year deal with the Cavs for the vet minimum.  But because of the luxury tax he'll end up costing the Cavs a little over $14M.

Sooo, good luck with that.

The secret is that the luxury tax doesn't matter at all.  The super rich person paying it can write it off as a business expense and not really lose that much real life money.  The team may be able to claim a loss, but in reality the price of NBA teams always go up, so it doesn't really matter.

9 hours ago, Ryan said:

His estimated net worth was 1.5 billion in 2016, so who knows, maybe he just wants out of Houston.

Yes, but strangely that doesn't seem to prevent having cash flow issues.

Especially since Forbes valued the team at over a billion.

22 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20108213/golden-state-warriors-become-1st-nba-team-charge-personal-seat-licenses-new-arena The Warriors are bringing PSL's to the NBA. Yet another reason to hate them. . . .

Read a lil into this and it's unlike the one Niners did. It's basically a 30 year loan, guaranteed return by end of; this also means you won't be able to cash in if the value goes up (which it will... we're talking about SF here).

It's kinda like Paypal in a way :D

• Like 1

The founders of DraftExpress, Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz, are joining ESPN and shutting down the site.  They do really good work, so while I'm sorry their stuff will (presumably) be disappearing behind the Insider paywall I hope that they're getting real paid.

If it was like a normal corporate thing they'd keep them on for awhile, hire some "assistants" to be trained by them, fire their asses, keep the name and use the low paid slave wagers to continue the job. I hope they maintain rights to the name and don't give up too much to get paid.

Woah what?

I get the off-season wasn't great, but... They are still the overwhelming favorite in the East. And he has no leverage whatsoever, given that he's locked up through 2019-20.

10 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Kyrie Irving has reportedly requested a trade from the Cavs.  

So fuck it, go ahead and sign Derrick Rose.

They should trade him to the Knicks as punishment! The place where careers go to die since 2001.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sabremike said:

They should trade him to the Knicks as punishment! The place where careers go to die since 1946.

FTFY.  I don't remember where I heard it, but there was an interview with both Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain, and the one thing that made both of seem like the best of friends was them talking shit about how fucking horrible the Knicks were.  That team was good for about 5 years in the 1970s and during the Ewing era, and has a flaming pile of dog shit for every other second of their existence.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sabremike said:

They should trade him to the Knicks as punishment! The place where careers go to die since 2001.

"Hey Lebron, remember how you wanted to play with Melo?  Well I have good news and bad news..."

EDIT: Hahahaha:

• Like 1

New York: Why?

Miami: Why?

San Antonio: Okay, that makes sense.

Minnesota: That will eventually make sense.

He might as well just ask to be traded to Brooklyn while we're at it.

I think Miami makes sense, they have some good young players and seem to be on the upswing in a shitty East.  Kyrie for Dragic and either Bam or Winslow + picks works money-wise.

I'd be really interested to see Kyrie on this Minnesota team, but it's tough to make the money work without giving up a lot, or somehow convincing Cleveland to take on Dieng.  Plus I don't know how hard they're really trying to win games this year.

ESPN's story is saying that Kyrie told Dan Gilbert that he no longer wants to play behind Lebron James and wants to go somewhere he is "the focal point"