DVDVR Message Board

2017 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

I have spent the past few weekends going to sleazy summer basketball events.

I think I love off-brand summer basketball more than the NBA or NCAA. Obviously the basketball itself isn't great. But my friend agreed with me. The polish of having "made it" gets revealed in summer hoops. The scab gets ripped off of a sport and you see the puss come out. That's what I want to see.

TONIGHT I went to Big3, which is Ice Cube's 3 on 3 league. (I'll allow the other DVDVR member to reveal his identity if he wishes to do so.) It's a really great money grab. This is a 3 on 3 halfcourt league that has some big names involved -- like AI, who is the "player coach" of one of the teams. AI in Philly always is a special occasion. Well, he arrived in street clothes. It was pretty clear he wasn't playing. He made some remarks and I bounced.

The rest of the thing was pretty lame. It was cool seeing Mahmoud Abdul-Raouf ball. But pretty much everyone else was either a guy who has been out of the league for like 2-3 years (Stephen Jackson, Rashard Lewis) or  guys like Ricky Davis and Larry Hughes or guys I completely forgot were basketball players (Kareem Rush). A guy sitting near me said it felt like he was getting to watch the 2004 Washington Wizards all over again for the very first time. 

In between games and during timeouts, there was some really ridiculous hype man while a parade of people tried to make a 4-point shot for anywhere between $200-$500 in cash. That was funny. This one lady made a shot and Coach Gary Payton acted like he was stealing her money. That was alright. 

I mean, I love this sort of thing. It felt maybe like if you were going to one of those ECW reunion shows? And you go and you're like... oh... why am I watching Danny Doring in the main event? 

Then last weekend I went to the beloved THE BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT. This is the $2 million winner-take-all thing they do every summer. The talent level in this thing is pretty good. There are a lot of fun college alumni teams and a lot of weird questions like "Why do the members of the 2012 Ft. Wayne Mad Ants still talk to each other?" and "The Morris Twins are really coaching the hell out of this game?" The Syracuse/Iona game (even though I think the Iona team only had like 4 dudes who actually went to Iona) was siiiick. I couldn't stay for the whole game but caught the end at home on ESPN3. If it was a NCAA Tournament Game, we'd still be talking about it. 

My favorite thing that happened live this year: The aforementioned Morris Twins are from Philly. They put together something called Team FOE that I believe is an AAU-type team. Their team always has guys who played high D-1 and are from the Philly area -- like Malik Wayans, Marcus Kennedy and then some guys I guess they know from Kansas like Mario Little. They have this big following that pops up since there are so many hometown guys. 

They were playing a team called Sideline Cancer that, if they win, will donate the proceeds to pancreatic cancer research. It's mostly D-3 guys but a few anonymous D-1 players. 

Sideline Cancer was up 6-7 points in the second half. They had this one player who was hot. I don't know if someone from the stands started in on him or what, but he started shit-talking the Philly fans SO much. A guy on a charity team. He kept grabbing his nuts and saying no one in the gym could guard him and etc. It was great. Of course, he went into business for himself and shot his team out of the game.

Summer hoops is sososososososo great.

• Like 1

TBT also experimented with something in the preliminary round called "The Elam Ending." It's a way to make the end of games actually exciting and not free throw shooting contests. 

How it works: The score freezes with 3 minutes left at the end of the second half. And there's a seven point "target" placed on the leading team's score that whoever wins has to reach. So if the game is 65-60, it's whoever gets to 72 first. 

I didn't go to those games. But my friends who went say they never want to go back to watching regular basketball. They said it was really nuts and they witnessed a 25 point comeback. People were RAVING about it.

39 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Sounds like a cool concept - wonder if 7 points/3 minutes is right balance though? 

I think that's the tricky part. The guy who put it together is a math teacher/Mensa member from Ohio. He ran a lot of numbers and the like before he came up with the formula. But I definitely want to see it. EVERY game ends with a basket! 

• Like 1

Considering his celebrity status, he can probably cobble a bid together. His estimated net worth is 120 million. That is not all from basketball, not even close.

Edit: His career salary added up to $93,390,336, which he certainly made less than half of by a large margin.

As part of the new Nike jersey deal - teams no longer wearing home and away jerseys

Every team will have 4 options available to them - Home team picks a jersey and then the Away team has to contrast

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

As part of the new Nike jersey deal - teams no longer wearing home and away jerseys

Every team will have 4 options available to them - Home team picks a jersey and then the Away team has to contrast

Why don't they just make 82 jerseys for each team so you have a different one for each fucking game? #conningthemarks

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

4 jerseys sucks but I like the idea of teams having primary colour jerseys unless there's a clash. 

Eh. I don't mind alternate unis.  I do wish they'd just call two of them "home" and "away".  "Association" and "Icon" is a needless, meaningless change and will be hard to remember.

There will actually be five uniforms for each team.  Fifth design is going to be a throwback jersey.

38 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Eh. I don't mind alternate unis.  I do wish they'd just call two of them "home" and "away".  "Association" and "Icon" is a needless, meaningless change and will be hard to remember.

There will actually be five uniforms for each team.  Fifth design is going to be a throwback jersey.

If I understand right, only a few teams are going to have throwbacks this year