DVDVR Message Board

2017 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am sure there will be several stories like this over the coming weeks but...

Goodyear will be sponsoring the Cavs

That sponsorship is going to blow up! (I'll get my coat...)

Can't complain about the result. Jumped 2 spots thanks to Hinkie. Another year wait for the Lakers pick but at least next year it is unprotected so no more drama. Just need the Lakers to stay bad enough to give us a shot at Luka Doncic.

I don't think we will know the answer until we see how the upcoming series plays out. Whether they feel like they should make a trade for a star. Some tough choices upcoming with who to pay. Having some relatively cheap, high upside, rookies might have more appeal if they decide to pay Thomas and Bradley. 

There really is a special place in hell for Billy King. He's an even bigger idiot than the guy from the Leafs who gave up the #2 that became Scott Niedelmyer for Tom Kurvers.

Well Markelle Fultz would certainly help the Bulls point guard problem. But then that would mean we'd have a "Don't Have Jimmy Buttler any more" problem.

Well,  Celtics might get swept but #1 pick in the back pocket will dry those tears.  I'm not sure what Ainge will do but there's a lot of options.  I think Fultz has a real chance to be special. If they decide to draft him and use 3 guards (IT, Bradley, Fultz)  I'm all for it.  Smart already plays with Thomas on the court. It's fine.  Celts also have enough room to sign a max player.  

They could draft Fultz and sign Hayward. They could trade Fultz (and something) for a Butler or Paul George.  There's also Anthony Davis rumors swirling around but I don't see that happening. 

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

For the record, if you need proof BSG is a moron:

I did not need more proof of that, no.

But to offer a very mild defense of him, did we know on draft night that the picks were unprotected?  I seem to recall that detail not coming out until a day or two later.

Dig deeply enough in the archives and I probably said something along the same lines. The level to which Brooklyn imploded shortly after that trade had to go far beyond even Boston's expectations. 

So the All-NBA teams were announced today.  The usual suspects all made it.  The most interesting thing is Gordon Hayward & Paul George did not.  So, thanks to the newest CBA, they are not eligible for Super Max deals (which would have allowed their current team to offer them an additional year and an additional $75M).  

So, Paul's as good as gone to the Lakers. And I'm guessing there's going to be a humongous bidding war for Hayward.  (Since he's white, I'm expecting him to end up in Boston.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So the All-NBA teams were announced today.  The usual suspects all made it.  The most interesting thing is Gordon Hayward & Paul George did not.  So, thanks to the newest CBA, they are not eligible for Super Max deals (which would have allowed their current team to offer them an additional year and an additional $75M).  

So, Paul's as good as gone to the Lakers. And I'm guessing there's going to be a humongous bidding war for Hayward.  (Since he's white, I'm expecting him to end up in Boston.)

So how are the All NBA teams picked? I've never heard of awards affecting contracts in a way that is centrally mandated, for example from a CBA. Seems like there's potential for... Shall we say unseemlyness?

9 minutes ago, DangerMark said:

So how are the All NBA teams picked? I've never heard of awards affecting contracts in a way that is centrally mandated, for example from a CBA. Seems like there's potential for... Shall we say unseemlyness?

Writers from around the league vote on three teams of five players based on the typical basketball positions, ie each team has point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, and center. Take into account this rule is built off the Rose rule where being an All-Star starter (voted on by the fans) and or MVP (voted on by the writers) could effect contracts.

I don't want to bring politics into here, but they're not US politics, so fuck it. Fuck Erdogan and anyone who supports his regime in any way. Enes Kanter's lucky he's not in some prison being beaten somewhere. What the hell, Turkey?

• Like 2

On 5/20/2017 at 4:21 AM, DangerMark said:

I see. Thanks for the info. Looked up the Rose Rule and such. Goddamn, this stuff gets complicated. 

The situation still strikes me as odd, though, especially as it includes fan votes in a central contract issue. 

Agreed. In the current game, rewards centers for basically being half decent/useful, as there's maybe 5 in the league who pull their weight, and punishes maybe 10-12 guards for being in the league the same time as unprecedented stats being put up by Curry, Westbrook and Harden.

Like Rudy Gobert deserves it more than Paul George...