DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Live's shake it up, 11th April 2017.

The Natural

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is Becky going to overlook that Charlotte already turned on her once or has the Submission Soro...umm Team PCB been scrubbed out of existence?

The only person that should be that gullible is Sting.

We Irish are a jolly, forgiving sort, but we ain't that stupid.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is Becky going to overlook that Charlotte already turned on her once or has the Submission Soro...umm Team PCB been scrubbed out of existence?

Women have worse continuity than the men. You have everyone turn on Bayley in NXT then they are all sob sisters when Bayley wins the title. No explanation, they are all good buddies. Which does not even go into the social media stuff. 

• Like 2

I don't think we should hold it against Nakamura for mailing it in on smaller NJPW tour shows. A ton of guys mail it in on those shows.  This is why Omega and Naito are two of my favorites to watch because while they DO go at about 50% on the smaller shows they still go out there and entertain.  Their little comedy bits in 8-man tags are great for these ten minute matches. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think we should hold it against Nakamura for mailing it in on smaller NJPW tour shows. A ton of guys mail it in on those shows.  This is why Omega and Naito are two of my favorites to watch because while they DO go at about 50% on the smaller shows they still go out there and entertain.  Their little comedy bits in 8-man tags are great for these ten minute matches. 

There's a huge difference between house show Omega/Naito and what Nakamura would do. The former two do more shtick, doubly so Kenny, and are still clearly applying themselves with creative spots. Nakamura would just go through the motions and save himself for big matches. You can not kill yourself in front of 500-1000 people (great idea really!) but do it in an entertaining way.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

Actually I could see Charlotte being the Luger to Becky's Sting where it's obvious Charlotte's a true heel but she's best friends with Becky so Becky will just overlook Charlotte's heel tendencies since Charlotte is always good to Becky.

Didn't they sort of do this before they broke up?

Ya'know, this talk of "mailing it in" got me thinking, I've watched thousands of hours of wrestling from tiny little live indy shows to lucha, Japan, the UK and of course WWE and there is only one performer that I can think of that I never saw go less than 100% no matter how small the crowd, that said, a lot of his matches were repetitive, paint-by-the-number exercises in putting over a variety of opponents, but whether the crowd was 500 or 15,000 he always gave 100%. Any guesses as to who I'm talking about? 

SPOILER WARNING:

Image result for ric flair

That's correct, of the hundreds of wrestlers I've watched this is the only one who always gave the crowd everything that they came to see. And he's not even in my top-five of favorites to watch. Just sayin' the "mailing it in" is called "survival" by most.

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

There's a huge difference between house show Omega/Naito and what Nakamura would do. The former two do more shtick, doubly so Kenny, and are still clearly applying themselves with creative spots. Nakamura would just go through the motions and save himself for big matches. You can not kill yourself in front of 500-1000 people (great idea really!) but do it in an entertaining way.

But that's what I'm saying. Most of the guys in NJPW are not doing what Naito/Omega do.  Tanahashi mails it in all the time, for example. That's why I said we shouldn't get on Nak too much becasue only a few guys are giving it their all in those situations. 

• Like 1

C'mon folks, there are only a handful of guys in the world that can pull off the shticks that Naito and Omega do regularly, that's why they're two of the best in the world right now.

• Like 1

They should present/book the ladies as if they were NBA stars. Super-friendly and complimentary of one another out of the ring, but hyper-competitive shit talkers desperate to be champ when in the ring with one another.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

They should present/book the ladies as if they were NBA stars. Super-friendly and complimentary of one another out of the ring, but hyper-competitive shit talkers desperate to be champ when in the ring with one another.

I would certainly take that over the way WWE has presented women the past decade plus... The "all women are crazy and jealous" approach.

I can just picture Vince in the creative meetings:

Spoiler

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

I would certainly take that over the way WWE has presented women the past decade plus... The "all women are crazy and jealous" approach.

I can just picture Vince in the creative meetings:

Hide contents

"And then we'll have her leave a bag of flaming dogshit on the champ's front porch!!! BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

36 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Exactly half as much of a scrub out as Vince's Exploding Limo. It allows for this:

I love Aiden English returning to his singing gimmick.  Once, Bray officially moves on and the Orton feud is dead, I'd like to see English take on Rowan and try to train him how to be a man of culture and the theater.

I think the Shining Stars might be better off on SD, because they referred to them as Primo and Epico and not as the Shining Stars, so hopefully they drop that gimmick because it doesn't really make sense.  They were heels because they wanted people to come visit their homeland?!  They should basically package them as the Guerreros, have them lie and cheat and sneak out cheap victories.

• Like 1

Happy Smackdown Live fan here! Rare to see Smackdown getting the best of RAW in the draft.

RAW favourites: Samoa Joe, Cesaro, Sasha Banks, Roman Reigns, the Revival, Chris Jericho, Sheamus, Bayley, the Miz, Maryse and Alexa Bliss.

Smackdown: AJ Styles, John Cena, Kevin Owens, Luke Harper, Shinsuke Nakamura, Sami Zayn, Charlotte, Becky Lynch, Rusev and Naomi.

Three months into the returned brand split I created a topic for your reactions to it, which is the better TV show and which brand would you rather see at a house show?

I said SD Live is the better show and I'd choose to see RAW house show. Now I'd probably say a Smackdown Live event though it's disappointing to miss out on Joe, Cesaro, Banks and the Revival.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Miz/Nak would have more heat in the buildup, but the match itself would just be a less good version of Nak/Roode.

So only a borderline classic instead of the so far MOTY? I'd take it.

• Like 3

Oh Son of a bitch...i just realized they screwed us out of Nak vs. Miz. Those miserable bastards. Strong Style vs. Miz's safe style/him ripping off Daniel Bryan would have been amazing for a PPV.

I'm honestly shocked they didn't send Enzo/Cass to Smackdown. That really seemed like a no brainer. Those two are so caught up in the shuffle especially with The Hardy's back. They would have benefited going to Smackdown. But hey, I guess Primo/Epico won the coin toss.

• Like 1

SDL didn't really get anyone I care much for except Charlotte to a degree who at least gets away from her Raw losing streak. I'll be missing Alexa, Miz/Maryse, and Ambrose quick. Shane's intro of Tamina may have been my favorite part of the show and Nakamura/Ziggler has me interested. Oh and the Alpha/Usos match was awesome again, love that pairing, some really great near falls.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

SDL didn't really get anyone I care much for except Charlotte to a degree who at least gets away from her Raw losing streak. I'll be missing Alexa, Miz/Maryse, and Ambrose quick. Shane's intro of Tamina may have been my favorite part of the show and Nakamura/Ziggler has me interested. Oh and the Alpha/Usos match was awesome again, love that pairing, some really great near falls.

Alexa Bliss and Miz be my most missed.

• Like 1

I honestly don't see Alexa as a big loss. She can talk, but she still hasn't improved enough in the ring. I can see the Raw crew helping her more there, and I still see her getting a decent bit of mic time even if we won't get anything as wonderful as Bryan constantly needling her.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

A Reigns/Lesnar and Styles/Nakamura double main for WM34 would be legit. 

Could they do it for Summerslam maybe? Same as the Punk/Lesnar and Cena/Bryan double they pulled a few years back.

4 hours ago, caley said:

I love Aiden English returning to his singing gimmick.  Once, Bray officially moves on and the Orton feud is dead, I'd like to see English take on Rowan and try to train him how to be a man of culture and the theater.

Ohh I want this, I want this so bad.

I greatly look forward to Nakamura/Styles and Nakamura/Owens programs. Also they really should revisit Nakamura/Zayn at least for a one off.

Speaking of Zayn...can he just use his fucking gorgeous Blue Thunder as his finish or at least secondary finish. It's too good to be his "only gets a 2 count" move.

Charlotte needed a new territory desperately since they hot shotted the hell out of ever match-up/title change on RAW to an insane degree. Hopefully once she wins the Smackdown title they will give her a long reign and either Becky or Naomi can have a chase that is properly built and payed off.

Rusev being split from Lana seems like another nail in the coffin. There is a part of me that would love for him to ask for his release and tear up the indies and Japan, but I figure he will just be a body in the midcard muck again.

I am very much on the Big E singles push bandwagon.

• Like 3