DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is All Shook Up - 4/10/2017

Rev Ray

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Gregg, Roman beat up an old man and put him out to pasture. He indeed DESERVED this.

Consigned, and really what's the difference between the beginning of the Austin/Hart feud and Braun/Roman? (The mechanics of it, obviously not the once in a lifetime talent involved.) Wasn't it just Austin beating the shit out of Hart and the crowd eating it up until the double-turn? 

• Like 2

1) Roman won a fair match. There was no cheating. Nothing at all of the sort.

2) Bret was a whiny crybaby. And he also after the match with Austin continued to lay the boots on an already defeated man. 

What did Roman do other than pay respect to a man he had to beat?

He is simply "not cool" in the eyes of people who want to root for an anti-hero. 

I'm guessing that Gregg was very frustrated every week that Austin was cheered during Austin's ascent to the top of the company. Tell me, is this someone we cheer, or someone we boo?

Just now, Craig H said:

I'm guessing that Gregg was very frustrated every week that Austin was cheered during Austin's ascent to the top of the company. Tell me, is this someone we cheer, or someone we boo?

It is not 1997. It is a different era for most of us. I liked ECW 20 years ago. I was fine with women being assaulted in-ring 20 years ago. I grew out of it and evolved. So have most people aside from wrestling fans who want to root for a bad guy because of how wrestling was 20 years ago.

Like, what did Roman deserve from a kayfabe POV?

3 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Like, what did Roman deserve from a kayfabe POV?

Kayfabe has nothing to do with it; that's how wrestling fans have changed. They're booing the guy, his presentation, booking, etc., and cheering the fact that someone is going over him. (Not saying that's how it should be; but that's how it is, for sure.)

• Like 4

Just now, Beech27 said:

Kayfabe has nothing to do with it; that's how wrestling fans have changed. They're booing the guy, his presentation, booking, etc., and cheering the fact that someone is going over him. (Not saying that's how it should be; but that's how it is, for sure.)

Oh, I realize that. And I think it is so utterly stupid. It's like watching a movie and getting pissed Jon Hamm got "booked" over Kyle Chandler or something. 

I would need to go back and watch it to double check - but Alvarez and Meltzer were sorta of giving Mahal credit for looking like he fucked up and expressing remorse

10 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

And where the audience loses all ground is that they had the man responsible for the supposedly bad booking/push in front of them last week--and proceeded to treat him like a deity. The four-second 'Roman Sucks' chant meant nothing because as soon as Vince no-sold them, they proceeded to applaud the old man again.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Oh, I realize that. And I think it is so utterly stupid. It's like watching a movie and getting pissed Jon Hamm got "booked" over Kyle Chandler or something. 

Maybe a little; but movies have never promoted themselves on the basis of having--and responding to--a live test audience. If WWE fans are overwhelmingly entitled, it's at least in part because WWE has told us to be, directly and not. There's a larger post to be written (by someone who understands these worlds more than me) about the increasingly active role fandom plays--or attempts to--in directing scripted TV drama, comic books, video games, and other traditionally "nerd culture" stalwarts, and how that audience increasingly intersects with WWE. 

3 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

And where the audience loses all ground is that they had the man responsible for the supposedly bad booking/push in front of them last week--and proceeded to treat him like a deity. The four-second 'Roman Sucks' chant meant nothing because as soon as Vince no-sold them, they proceeded to applaud the old man again.

They also followed it with a "Fire Roman" chant, though the hypocrisy is noted. 

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I would need to go back and watch it to double check - but Alvarez and Meltzer were sorta of giving Mahal credit for looking like he fucked up and expressing remorse

He picked Balor up and went right to the next spot. The smart thing to do would've been step back and have the ref take a look at him before continuing the match with a guy you just knocked loopy.

38 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

Maybe a little; but movies have never promoted themselves on the basis of having--and responding to--a live test audience.

That's not necessarily true.  Big-budget movies do screenings all the time to test audiences.  They then make whatever necessary changes depending on how the audience reacts to it.  It's not WWE by any means, but they still respond to feedback before unleashing their film to the world.

But what is true is Braun is a beast and a half.  There was a progression in violence capped off with lifting the ambulance.  It was absolutely wonderful.

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

It is not 1997.

No, but the WWE is proceeding like its 2007 and Super Cena all over again. People are cheering Braun because he's a bad ass and it is something different. But the thing is, they don't care. They could have changed this course several years ago but as long as you don't cancel your network, it's full steam ahead. That promo from before WM was dripping with heelishness and it was aimed at a very specific set of fans to get a very specific reaction. 

They troll the smarks and then the smarks take the bait. I really don't see it getting any better, either. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

If you want to go that route Rocky IV was booked terribly.  Rocky overcomes the odds against the unstoppable Russian, okay I can live with that. What I cannot live with is mid fight a Russian audience during the COLD WAR decides to cheer on an American. Honestly, I think those cheers were piped in. Had to be.

• Like 4

Movies aren't made to encourage audience participation. Yet, lots of movies have heroes that you don't root for because of poor writing, directing or acting. There's lots of actors who just aren't good in the hero role for no tangible reason. Their movies wind up flopping and we never see them in those roles again.

• Like 3

As great as the Braun segment was, it would've played even better if they did the sit-down interview part early in the show and let it unfold throughout the night. Make it look like the EMTs are really taking their time to care for Roman, then BRAUN out of nowhere!

• Like 1

I still wanted Braun to do a running shoulder block on the second ambulance as it was leaving.

Or at the very least, Braun could have taken a cue from Graves and trash talked Roman with something like, "NO WAY PUNK!"

I miss Graves' Pantera song and album references, but I digress. I think that was the one thing missing from the beatdown. I wish Braun were talking shit the whole time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I'm imagining Alverez complaining that John Huston booked everyone like "geeks" for getting so would up over something that wasn't even the real Maltese falcon. 

• Like 1

I was expecting Braun to run over the second ambulance in a monster truck.

The difference between him and the other monsters of the week is that Braun actually has more going for him than size and intensity.  He actually seems to "get" wrestling and be capable of doing more than just power moves, plus he knows how to cut a promo.  Naturally his staying power is predicated on how well he's booked, and as we all know there isn't a great track record on that.

I'm trying to think of a kayfabe reason Angle wouldn't trade Stroman to Smackdown tonight considering Stroman went berserk last night and savagely beat one of the company's main attractions, tried to murder the man, destroyed an ambulance, and generally seemed  sadistic and out of control.

Thinking....

Still thinking......

If I was Angle, I'd be getting Stroman off my show quick as possible.