DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Begins Again on 10/4/2017

Dolfan in NYC

9 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

Selanne and Kariya were HOF level talents. Andreychuk and Recchi? They've got numbers but neither really stands out to me as ever being among the best players in the league.

I agree on Andreychuck but Recchi definitely was among the best early in his career. Plus, 1500 points is tough to ignore. 

Jeremy Jacobs may be an even bigger scumbag than Karmanos and think of the magnitude of that statement coming from me. But I guess every vile long term owner gets in like old man Wirtz. If Charles Wang held onto the Isles for another decade I bet he would've got in too.

Looks like the Canucks are doing some smart quality bargain basement shopping to fill out the roster during this rebuild. Sam Gagner, Michael Del Zotto, Anders Nilsson and possibly Alexander Burmistrov as a reclamation project.

The sudden shift towards doing the right things really makes me think that a lot of the previous moves were ownership driven.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

Looks like the Canucks are doing some smart quality bargain basement shopping to fill out the roster during this rebuild. Sam Gagner, Michael Del Zotto, Anders Nilsson and possibly Alexander Burmistrov as a reclamation project.

The sudden shift towards doing the right things really makes me think that a lot of the previous moves were ownership driven.

Yeah, a good draft followed by a possible good free agency period. I don't know this team! They could still bring back Ryan "Shitbum" Miller tho.

Edit: Going off Benning's comments in the press, though, there's no way he wasn't a big part of the dumb decisions the past two years. Even this past month, it sounds like he talked himself out of the ability to move down and still get Pettersson.

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, a good draft followed by a possible good free agency period. I don't know this team! They could still bring back Ryan "Shitbum" Miller tho.

Edit: Going off Benning's comments in the press, though, there's no way he wasn't a big part of the dumb decisions the past two years. Even this past month, it sounds like he talked himself out of the ability to move down and still get Pettersson.

Yeah, maybe, he's not exactly the most eloquent speaker. Someone there has a clue, though. Maybe Linden is finally getting the hang of things?

I don't know if that lot can go from singing the praises of Shawn Thornton and "meat and potatoes" 24/7 to going so skill heavy without a new voice in the room. I guess it's possible that they learned from their failures and seeing that toughness only works if it's insulating highly skilled, smaller players or there's a combination of skill and size. I don't know. This just seems like such a radical departure from what we were getting the first 2 years. I'm not complaining about it, just skeptical it's down to Linden and/or Benning.

Firing that charlatan Weisbrod was a... wise move (yeaaaaaah!). His history was pathetic and he spouted nonsense whenever he was quoted too. Addition by subtraction. Did they shuffle the deck in regards to the scouting department yet? I can't find any news stories about that. 

Jagr can't get a call because he doesn't have SPEED SPEED SPEED. Never mind that he gets lots of points, that's not important. SPEED SPEED SPEED is. Why not just sign fucking Apolo Ohno? Seriously I think when you apply for a job in hockey they give you an IQ test and if you fail you get a job.

I am very pleased so far with what GM Ron Francis is doing in Carolina.  He had three goals this off season: 

1.  Fix the goaltending situation: In Scott Darling, Out Eddie Lack.  RIP Lacko Tacos

2. Get a third paring defense man since it was beyond horrid last year:  Out Ron Hainsey, In Trevor van Riemsdyk.  Congrats Ron on the Cup!

3. Acquire a top 6 level forward:  Welcome back Justin Williams.  Carolina went without a captain last year and he'd be a perfect choice before it's time to give it to Jaccob Slavin.  Why?  He's already won a cup here in Raleigh and from twitter: Justin Williams on signing with the Hurricanes: "Carolina hasn't made the playoffs since 2009. That's a long time. We're done losing."

The only thing left that is a definite need is #1 center.  I wouldn't be against it being Matt Duchene from the Avs, but I don't think we're a trade match and I don't think he's the guy who puts you over the top.  There is talk that it might be Sebastian Aho down the line but currently he's not up for the job just yet.  With the defense set of Slavin, Pesce, Faulk, Hanifin, Fleury, and van Riemsdyk, the blue line is set for awhile.  I, and the few Canes fans left, desperately wanted playoffs last year.  Barring significant injury this year, there is no reason why Carolina can not earn a wild card spot this year.

Marleau to Toronto for 3 years at $6.25m per.

San Jose ought to have around $12 million in space after signing Thornton I think but a good chunk of spots to fill. 

Caps are doing.... things

Evgeny Kuznetsov got an 8 year extension with an average value of $7.8 million

So because they overpaid there they then traded Marcus Johansson to the Devils for two worthless draft picks