DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Begins Again on 10/4/2017

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I remember when Griffin Reinhart was supposed to be a future top pairing guy. Shit happens.

I remember when multiple Hockey Men said the Oilers should trade down, not take Yakupov, and take Reinhart.

Well, they were half right. How Filip Forsberg fell out of the top 10 in that draft class I will never understand.

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

My God, Garth Snow is so dumb.

He kept all his tradeable assets  (Which is the key) for the cost of a midrange first in a crap draft. He did as good as Garth Snow could reasonably have been expected to do.

I'm not sure how I feel about the trade by the Jets. It may not be a good draft this year, but giving up the 13th pick and a third to save Dano and Enstrom seems steep. Should have let them take Toby.

5 hours ago, elizium said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the trade by the Jets. It may not be a good draft this year, but giving up the 13th pick and a third to save Dano and Enstrom seems steep. Should have let them take Toby.

Toby did them a massive solid by waiving his no-trade clause to let them protect more forwards. No way he waives the no-trade clause without knowing he was staying.

As much as I like to complain about Toby, the Jets options at left-side defense suck, unless you think running Josh Morrisey out there for 45 minutes a game is an actual idea (it's not).

7 hours ago, Dewar said:

Toby did them a massive solid by waiving his no-trade clause to let them protect more forwards. No way he waives the no-trade clause without knowing he was staying.

As much as I like to complain about Toby, the Jets options at left-side defense suck, unless you think running Josh Morrisey out there for 45 minutes a game is an actual idea (it's not).

Damn your logic.

I'm going to miss Thorburn, strictly for my buddy Jay's constant arguments that he's great because all the goals he scores are "big goals". When you only score 4 times a year, they better be big fucking goals.

30 minutes ago, elizium said:

Damn your logic.

I'm going to miss Thorburn, strictly for my buddy Jay's constant arguments that he's great because all the goals he scores are "big goals". When you only score 4 times a year, they better be big fucking goals.

I think Scoreburn ends up back here, either coaching with the Moose or doing something in the organization.

My attachment to Thorburn was during the Jets first season, he rented out my friend's house. My father and his wife lived up the road, and the Thorburns would say hello to everyone in the neighbourhood, and after a particularly bad Winnipeg snowfall, they took the snowblower around and helped people clear their driveways. Class act off the ice, even though on the ice he was usually in charge of fighting.

Frolik moved in to my friends place the following season. I was told how hot his model from the Czech Republic girlfriend was, and how much she hated the cold weather. She must have been thrilled when he signed as a free agent in Calgary. :D

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Eberle to the Islanders for Dylan Strome

Ryan Strome. He was lighting it up in the AHL a few years back and put up 50 points in his first full season. Hasn't repeated that success yet but it could turn out really well. Even if he just turns out to be a 45-50 point player, that's what Eberle's been the past few years. Good move for Edmonton.

Eberle will always have the World Juniors but he's just so bad without the puck and pretty slow that moving him even for a lesser player was the right thing to do.

Eberle's worst ever offensive year is better than Strome's best. Offensively these are not even comparable players.

Having said that, as a salary dump I guess it's fine. It's pretty obvious the Oilers are looking to free agency/trade to find one more winger. Justin Williams is a rumor of the day. Also, if James Neal is basically a rent-a-player in Vegas who will play rent-a-player again at the deadline, it seems pretty fucking obvious Edmonton would be interested in him too. This is basically how the cap NHL works. Try and move out one guy, figure out how to bring in 2 (Strome and ???)

I wish Jordan nothing but the best. Always conduced himself very well with the media here even when they were trying to lynch him for some things real, some things imaginary. It's been obvious he's being traded for weeks so honestly, I had very little reaction to this on the whole despite him being a guy I like a lot. Should be fun seeing him and Tavares on the power play.

I am still not sure exactly what role Strome fills in terms of line, but there's plenty of time to work that out.

Forward Artemi Panarin was traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets by the Chicago Blackhawks for forward Brandon Saad.

Panarin, 25, finished second on the Blackhawks in goals (31) and points (74) this season, and was named a Second-Team All-Star. He won the Calder Trophy as the League's top rookie in 2015-16, when he had 77 points (30 goals, 47 assists) in 82 games.

Panarin, who was undrafted, signed a two-year $7 million contract with Chicago in 2015, according to CapFriendly.com. In December, he signed a two-year, $12 million contract that runs through the 2018-19 season.

Chicago also traded forward Tyler Motte and a sixth-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft to Columbus and received goalie Anton Forsberg and a fifth-round pick in the 2018 draft.

The Arizona Coyotes have acquired center Derek Stepan and goalie Antti Raanta from the New York Rangers for defenseman Anthony DeAngelo and the seventh overall pick in this year's draft.

Pretty good week for Blues management.

- Everyone calls them idiots for keeping Reaves over Perron. Perron gets taken in draft, some people who don't pay attention assume the Blues got hosed.

- Blues take what I would say was a pretty ideal pick of Thomas at 20.

- Blues pull in Brayden Schenn for a late first, and in the process unload Jori Lehteras awful contract for a future first. Schenn is a much better version of Perron.

- Blues trade Reaves, who everyone said the Blues were dumb to protect over Perron, to move up 20 picks in the draft to take Kostin, who might be the best international prospect in the draft, and get a guy who could be a 4th line center this year to boot.

Basically, the Blues got better now, cleared up some cap room to give Paryako a long term extension, and still should have enough money to target a big target in free agency. I'm not overally fond of Blurs management, but they ruled this week.

• Like 1

I'll be honest I put 0 work into knowing the draft class this year, unlike basically all of the last decade. Oilers pick is, get this, a small guy that's really quick. But, the people who know him in junior hockey say he's not afraid to challenge bigger guys at all, so that's good. He also tore up the fitness tests at the combine for whatever that is worth. He seems like a pretty interesting player from what little I've learned tonight.