DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Begins Again on 10/4/2017

Dolfan in NYC

7 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Could be worse: you could be an Avs fan (you know, the team that was even worse than my 2015 Sabres who basically tried to be as bad as possible). The saving grace is that the draft this year is pretty much shit and there is no real franchise altering talent available like the past few years.

They won the cup in their first year. To quote the Big Bad Booty Daddy, they don't get my sympy at all. There is such a huge chasm between the top 2 and everybody else, so of course we drop from #2 to #5, the lowest possible pick. I understand with the new rules that 4th was likeliest, but it's still pretty crushing just the same. Oh well, this team is going to be the shits for a long time, so we just got to make good use of the picks we get in the next ~5 years. No more Virtanens plz. Also, no more Lindenning while we're at it.

Mittelstadt sounds like the guy we'll go with. At least he's skilled and fast. Glass is the other name but he sounds like Horvat 2.0. I'm so done with the responsible 2 way guys with pedestrian skill.

The Hurricanes sign Scott Darling who looks to be (on paper and with a small NHL sample size) capable of playing goaltender in the NHL at a league average level, as opposed to the tandem that we currently have. 

I'm excited, which of course means the team is doomed. 

• Like 1

I'm going to hide after I post this, and judging from today's events you should too.  

The Rangers & Sabres will play outdoors 1/1/2018 at Citi Field.

On 5/9/2017 at 11:10 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm going to hide after I post this, and judging from today's events you should too.  

The Rangers & Sabres will play outdoors 1/1/2018 at Citi Field.

It should be pointed out that Buffalo will be the "home" team

Basically because if the Rangers are the home team - it breaks some sort of tax exemption James Dolan gets for playing in MSG

• 3 weeks later...

Frankly, I'm just waiting to see them try this in Tampa or Miami. The ungodly amount of compressors needed would make the carbon footprint of a NASCAR race seem like a electric car convention.

31 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Frankly, I'm just waiting to see them try this in Tampa or Miami. The ungodly amount of compressors needed would make the carbon footprint of a NASCAR race seem like a electric car convention.

It wont happen until one of them is playing n Quebec City. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

It wont happen until one of them is playing n Quebec City. 

So you're saying QC is getting one of these along with the Islanders? 

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Burke is saber-rattling about leaving Calgary if he doesn't get a shiny new arena.  Roughly for free. 

http://deadspin.com/brian-burke-to-calgary-nice-hockey-team-you-got-here-1795921392

The Austin Flames does have a nice ring to it. 

3 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

You'll never guess which team's media that is in love with shot blocking and losing possession thinks the team should go after him.

Isn't that still like 99% of the markets?

The Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports that the Blue Jackets could pay a serious price to keep Vegas from taking a key player who they won’t be able to protect:

The Jackets are believed to be trading this year’s first-round draft pick (No. 24 overall) and a prospect (not Pierre-Luc Dubois or Sonny Milano) to Vegas for assurances that the Golden Knights will select either left wing Matt Calvert, center William Karlsson or defenseman Ryan Murray.

Vegas’ acquisition of the contract of injured veteran forward David Clarkson ($5.25 million salary cap hit) may also be part of the deal.

Portzline reports that the Blue Jackets would pay such a premium to make sure that the Golden Knights look past either a young player (Josh Anderson or Joonas Korpisalo) or an experienced blueliner such as Jack Johnson or David Savard.

Goaltender Mike Smith was acquired by the Calgary Flames in a trade with the Arizona Coyotes on Saturday for goaltender Chad Johnson, college defenseman Brandon Hickey and a conditional third-round draft pick.

Smith, 35, was 19-26-9 with a 2.92 goals-against average and .914 save percentage in 55 starts with the Coyotes this season. He has two years remaining on a six-year, $34 million contract (average annual value $5.67 million), according to CapFriendly.com.

An anonymous GM told Pierre Lebrun that Vegas apparently is going to wind up with 3 first round picks post-expansion draft. If so, I'd have to say that is likely to be pretty good work by George McPhee. Like, I'm pretty willing to bet one of the guys involved in that we're going to say "a team gave up a first to keep HIM?"