DVDVR Message Board

Greatest Horror of All Time - where to begin?

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just thought about this one too: Polanski's Repulsion totally deserves to make the list. 

It will be somewhere on my ballot.

I know we've formally defined "horror" for the purposes of this poll as whatever the iMDB / RT tag is, but Repulsion will still be one of those movies that is subjective to everyone's personal definition of what constitutes "horror."

I would not argue with anyone that insisted that the only prima facea horror film in Polanski's "Apartment Trilogy" was Rosemary's Baby and that The Tenant and Repulsion were more in the realm of psychological thrillers.

Martin, Night and Dawn are all in my top five. I'm guessing Romero's upcoming film about zombies racing cars is not going to rank for me.

In the Two Evil Eyes segment of Document of the Dead, he was playing with a yo-yo as a nicotine substitute. A shame he didn't stick with it. In an interview a few years ago, he was chain-smoking the entire time.

21 hours ago, J.T. said:

I know we've formally defined "horror" for the purposes of this poll as whatever the iMDB / RT tag is, but Repulsion will still be one of those movies that is subjective to everyone's personal definition of what constitutes "horror."

Sort of like Mulholland Drive...the man behind Winkie's alone should give it serious consideration...

Innocent Blood and the Badham Dracula are horribly underrated on there. And I STILL have to see Planet of the Vampires. 

Goddammit. The Last Man on Earth. Fright Night (OG). Lifeforce. LET THE RIGHT ONE IN?! Even The Lost Boys is a contender. THE LIST is getting far more complicated than I thought.

6 minutes ago, jiraffejustin said:

Forgive me if this has already been brought up, but are short films eligible? I don't know if I have any I actually want to vote for, but there's a few I want to check out. 

I guess you could but honestly you would really have to promote one or two to ensure others were voting for it so it would get any traction

Screenrant presents the 15 Worst Horror Movies of All Time.

It hurts my heart a little to see Deadly Friend and Empire of the Ants on the list.  Not exactly Oscar winners, but there are certainly more worthless horror movies out there.

My nostalgia for Empire of the Ants may have something to do with the fact that I was like seven when it came out and my folks took me to an actual drive in movie to see it.  It was on a double bill with Kingdom of the Spiders.  Good times.

The Cabin Fever they are referring to is the shitty 2016 re-image, not the one that is probably the only Eli Roth movie worth owning. 

Yes, I am not very fond of the Hostel movies... or at least I am not very fond of how Eli Roth honestly believes that they are the most significant horror movies made in the 20th century..

And urgh.  One Missed Call.  Were there any American conversions of J-Horror standouts other than The Ring that were actually decent movies?

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:07 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Innocent Blood and the Badham Dracula are horribly underrated on there. And I STILL have to see Planet of the Vampires. 

Goddammit. The Last Man on Earth. Fright Night (OG). Lifeforce. LET THE RIGHT ONE IN?! Even The Lost Boys is a contender. THE LIST is getting far more complicated than I thought.

NEAR DARK, MOTHER FUCKERS~!

Also, Afflicted is very much underloved.

• Like 1

There are a lot of shitty lists for Best Werewolf Movies out there so here are my picks:

1. An American Werewolf In London
  2. The Howling
  3. Dog Soldiers
  4. Ginger Snaps
  5. Werewolf Of London
  6. The Wolf Man (1941)
  7. Wer
  8. Silver Bullet
  9. Curse of the Werewolf (a tedious film made awesome by the fucking make-up)
  10. Bad Moon

Honorable Mentions:  The Company of Wolves for the third best werewolf transformation scene in all of Werewolf moviedom history.

14 hours ago, J.T. said:

Taste of Cinema's 15 Best Horror Anthology List is fairly close to my own.

I'd probably have dumped V/H/S 2 off of the list and replaced it with Southbound.

Dead of Night deserves a spot at the top just for the end of the ventriloquist segment. I saw it in a theater a couple of years ago and that bit really shook up the audience.

I seem to be completely alone in hating Trick 'r Treat.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, Curt McGirt said:

No Wolfen?

Curse is made by the makeup AND an awesome Oliver Reed performance. 

I need to watch Wolfen again, because it has been a while since I've seen it and I need to re-evaluate it.

On 7/21/2017 at 8:54 AM, J.T. said:

Screenrant presents the 15 Worst Horror Movies of All Time.

It hurts my heart a little to see Deadly Friend and Empire of the Ants on the list.  Not exactly Oscar winners, but there are certainly more worthless horror movies out there.

My nostalgia for Empire of the Ants may have something to do with the fact that I was like seven when it came out and my folks took me to an actual drive in movie to see it.  It was on a double bill with Kingdom of the Spiders.  Good times.

The Cabin Fever they are referring to is the shitty 2016 re-image, not the one that is probably the only Eli Roth movie worth owning. 

Yes, I am not very fond of the Hostel movies... or at least I am not very fond of how Eli Roth honestly believes that they are the most significant horror movies made in the 20th century..

And urgh.  One Missed Call.  Were there any American conversions of J-Horror standouts other than The Ring that were actually decent movies?

While I think Rotten Tomatoes is pretty good way to determine quality on a current movie (although not always), I find their older movie reviews (or lack thereof) to usually be off the mark.  Deadly Friend, while not a great horror movie, is far from bottom of the rung when it comes to the genre.

That said, I stumbled into this forum and I think has given me an excuse to pull out some horror films and go through them.  I have a ton already in mind, but look forward to rewatching and finding some new ones.  I would probably vote depending on my enjoyment of the movie rather than whether it cared me or not.  I'm generally not shaken much by scary movies anymore because I've been watching them since I was a small child and it's my favorite genre.  I don't mind comedy with my horror as sometimes it's needed.

Some locks for me (in no particular order) if I end up participating:

1. Halloween (1978)
  2. Psycho (1960)
  3. The Shining (1980)
  4. Let the Right One In (2008)
  5. A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
  6. [REC] (2007)
  7. Scream (1996)
  8. Return of the Living Dead (1985)
  9. The Lost Boys (1987)
  10. The Conjuring (2013)

There's a ton more I have in mind, but I do want to watch some of the suggestions in this thread, most notably Ghostwatch, which I've never seen and had no idea existed.  Fun times (and I'm sure several terrible movies) ahead...

On 7/21/2017 at 10:18 AM, J.T. said:

Taste of Cinema's 15 Best Horror Anthology List is fairly close to my own.

I'd probably have dumped V/H/S 2 off of the list and replaced it with Southbound.

I follow them on Facebook. A lot of their lists feel kind of pointless to me and a little click-baity. On the other hand, it's good for anyone to promote films that may be under the radar for you I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have a "For Consideration" pile of shame to work on.

• Final Prayer / The Borderlands
  • Shin Godzilla
  • We Are What We Are
  • Demon
  • Goodnight, Mommy
  • Splinter (2008)
  • Lake Mungo (Never seen it all the way through)

The fact that we didn't list a single Paul Naschy film on the werewolf top ten is a goddamn travesty. He at least deserves an asterisk! In fact I'd say Werewolf vs. the Vampire Woman is bare minimum #9 or 10 and probably higher. You've got to give credit due to a man who invented his own character and ran it through 12 FILMS.

We Are What We Are is on Chiller in an hour so I'll give it a watch. 

• Like 1

Though I didn't catch all of it due to a phone call, I highly recommend We Are What We Are. For something that could be camped up to great heights they take it deadly serious and it works. Also, you get Michael Parks, which is always a plus. Apparently it's a remake of a Mexican film so now I want to see that one too, dammit.

And, I would suggest going in cold on this one beyond what I've already written. 

• Like 1

Final Prayer / The Borderlands is one of the better found footage horror movies I've seen not named NOROI or [REC].

There is a definite Wicker Man vibe although this is more of a Pagans vs. Christians thing rather than a Pagans vs. Modern Man kinda deal.

It is a steady slow burn and the ending smashes you over the head with a brick.

I wish it had been subtitled though.  No offense to my UK fam, but rapid fire English with Scottish and Cockney accents may as well be Latin to me.

I'll try to watch Splinter over the weekend.  I promised the wifey I'd do some touch up painting this weekend and who knew that Annabelle:  Creation would actually be good so I'm checking out a matinee on early Sunday afternoon.

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Though I didn't catch all of it due to a phone call, I highly recommend We Are What We Are. For something that could be camped up to great heights they take it deadly serious and it works. Also, you get Michael Parks, which is always a plus. Apparently it's a remake of a Mexican film so now I want to see that one too, dammit.

We Are What We Are may be on Chiller On Demand so folks with Chiller may want to check this out.