DVDVR Message Board

Rayo de Jalisco Jr., Atlantis y Alfonso Dantes vs. MS-1, El Satanico y El Dandy (3/27/87)

Phil Schneider

• 1 month later...

Satanico wildly headbutting Dantes' hand while having him in an arm wrench was so cool, then suddenly MS1 comes along to grab the other hand and start comically biting on it.  Thus ends a so-so first fall but the second fall really picks up and is pretty damn awesome: the crowd is wild for the technico comeback, Atlantis and Dandy work a really cool sequence and during the ending Dantes steamrolls through MS1 with a big shoulder block on the outside.  Third fall is short but sweet featuring El Dandy getting huge air off a backdrop, a big top rope dive by Jalisco and Dantes taking out MS1 with big shoulder blocks and a cool surfboard that he sends him flying off of after he quits.  Fun stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

We get an intro by Enrique Llanes with Gory Guerrero and a bunch of other old-timers and it warms my heart. Satanico later gets introduced as "el rudo el numero uno en Mexico". Awesome. 

It's funny how smaller El Dandy looks to his partners and opponents. He still fights over his head. Pretty standard (and boring) rudo domination caida until MS-1 gets vampiric on Dantes' hand which is hilarious. We cut to a full-on tecnico rally and SHIT IS ON. Dantes tries off his boxing skills then Atlantis and Dandy have an exchange where Dandy bumps all over before hitting a hellish (for lucha) chop before eating the floor. This is how you do a great tecnico fall, with them cleaning house in revenge with a bunch of perfectly timed big moves. We get a 30 second final fall with some really great finishers to send the crowd home happy and I understand why this was done, but I could have done with this going broadway with a better opening caida. Still, a standout on this disc.

• 9 months later...

I liked this better than the previous match on 3/20/87.  I also liked the technico rampage to start the second fall, especially Rayo punching MS-1 throughout ringside.  Dandy's bumps during this fall are incredible, especially off the monkey-flip and soon after when he goes over the top rope to splat on the floor.  Dantes had some great punches on Satanico as well during the second fall.  I thought the performances of Dandy and Dantes stood out and made this match enjoyable.

• 2 months later...

This had some fun moments like the opening double team armwork on Jalisco, that triple team submission that the rudos did on Dantes at the end of the first fall, Satanico having a fit outside the ring and then going for a handshake moments later only for Dantes to punch him in the face, MS-1 cutting off Atlantis' dive with a dropkick, but the clipping hurt this and the ending felt really abrupt.