DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2017 - APRIL

Dolfan in NYC

Every reporter that has read Garaunteed Rate Field off a teleprompter today has gotten confused and unsure of what they're saying. It's like when you get an email and the sender is the name of someone you know but the subject line is "Hot Housewives in Your Area Now!"

Did my heart good to see Bumgarner put in all that excellent work yesterday and get a ND because the $60MM closer that was supposed to be the answer for SFG blows his first shot.

Meanwhile, Kershaw goes out today and does what he typically does. 7 IP, 2 H, 2R (1 ER), 0 BB and 8 K. And he went 1-2, drew a BB and scored twice.

Bats were fucking loud today, Pederson with the big blast, Grandal HRs from both sides, and everyone in the starting lineup tallies a hit. Great start to new year.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I heard on twitter Kershaw makes more than the Padres line-up he faced. :(

Most likely, Clayton is making $33MM this year and the Pads started today with a whole lot of MLB minimum salaries on field .Wil Myers is likely the highest paid Padre this year at $4.5MM, but they are only responsible for 3 million of it. SD's payroll for the year is just shy of $70MM, and an article on Fangraphs from a couple of weeks ago had them with about 55% of those dollars as being paid to players not on their roster.

In yesterday's San Diego Union-Tribune:

In a glaring representation of their rebuild, the Padres’ opening-day payroll is roughly $68.5 million, $31.5 million of which will go to players no longer on the team.

So Kershaw is making more money than the entire payroll of guys still in SD, not just the starting 9 today.

Edited by grilledcheese

Was nice to see the Phils get a game one win. Cesar knocking a lead off homer is hopefully a great omen for the year. Lineup looked great. Got a bit sketchy at the end but I was glad they could pin the Reds for the 3-count to seal the deal. 

Headed to a night of appreciation for Bartolo at Citi tonight. When they show the home run in the video tribute I'm going to lose it and become a sobbing mess.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Roy Sievers - the first AL Rookie of the Year and one of the best Senators of the original version - passed away at the age of 90

A member of the 300-HR club, back when 300 career taters meant something.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yankees prospect Clint Frazier apparently asked the Yankees to unretire #7 for him.  

That went about as well as you would expect. 

Well that's already been proved false

but

bc9f2494ccb166fb6df9f274d9f3c452c21a2a0e

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yankees prospect Clint Frazier apparently asked the Yankees to unretire #7 for him.  

That went about as well as you would expect. 

What I don't understand is who fed Waldman that story and why did she not feel the need to check on it being accurate? Or was she just goofing on the hosts of whatever radio show she was on and it got blown way out of proportion?

18 hours ago, EdA said:

Hey!  Remember the whackiness when the Marlins were maybe going to be bought by a Trump-in-law?

Even better!  Groups lead by Derek Jeter and Jeb Bush are ALLEGEDLY contenders to buy the Marlins.

Poor-poor Marlins.

Well, a) The Bushes are actually rich, and have run a baseball team successfully before,  b) Jeter would bring some necessary star power to a city obsessed with celebrity, c) anyone but Loria,  and most importantly, d) Shut up. 

2uehUnr.gif