DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2017 - APRIL

Dolfan in NYC

Not to pick nits but - W owned the Rangers from 89-94

Rangers finished

4th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, 1st (strike shortened year so whee!!!!)

I mean he did get the Ballpark at Arlington done but yeah...

But yes - anybody but Loria would be in play here

On 4/5/2017 at 3:46 PM, OSJ said:

A member of the 300-HR club, back when 300 career taters meant something.

Unless you were Babe Ruth; then, you laughed at the pitiful mortal men.

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, a) The Bushes are actually rich, and have run a baseball team successfully before,  b) Jeter would bring some necessary star power to a city obsessed with celebrity, c) anyone but Loria,  and most importantly, d) Shut up. 

2uehUnr.gif

Get this dog in the hammer throw competition stat.

• Like 2

I hope he spent several seconds trying to find it and/or get it unstuck and failing. Those are the best kinds of things.

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

Unless you were Babe Ruth; then, you laughed at the pitiful mortal men.

Funny thing is when I was in 1st grade I got my first baseball book from Scholastic, had to have been written a few years earlier, I'm guessing 1959-1961 due to some omissions. It profiled every player that had reached 3000 hits or 300 HRs, and all of them were in the HOF, the implication being that these were both "magic numbers" to get in the HOF. I remember awaiting the induction of guys like Roy Sievers and Frank Howard, finally realizing the book was wrong.

Well, hitting 300 HRs doesn't necessarily mean even then you were any good at anything else. That's not enough. Just like 600 now, Thome has to have other junk to get in. his walk rate and stuff.

• Like 1

If someone hits 600 home runs, but has 1500 career hits total and bats uh, .165 over 20 years, do they somehow get in? I say yes! 5000 strikeouts~!

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

If someone hits 600 home runs, but has 1500 career hits total and bats uh, .165 over 20 years, do they somehow get in? I say yes! 5000 strikeouts~!

Settle down, son... Nolan Ryan knows you love him.

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Well, hitting 300 HRs doesn't necessarily mean even then you were any good at anything else. That's not enough. Just like 600 now, Thome has to have other junk to get in. his walk rate and stuff.

Yeah, it was fifty years ago, shows you how much the game has evolved. Chuck Klein was a no-brainer pick for the HOF in the 1950s. He'd be laughed out of the place today.

I meant the player had 5000 strikeouts, 250 a year, but he still got his 600 homeruns! 30 a year out of his 75 hits a year. The clout that wasn't in doubt.

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

That's basically Mark Mcgwire  . . .  (who has no place in Cooperstown without a ticket)

18 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

That's basically Mark Mcgwire  . . .  (who has no place in Cooperstown without a ticket)

Latter day Dave Kingman... How the fuck does a guy like Big Mac get a job as a hitting coach? The only thing he knows about hitting is that he wasn't very good at it without a needle in his ass...

Edited by OSJ
accuracy
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, EdA said:

Other than the cute Biblical implications, hitting a HR off Domenic Mazza is not that big a deal, I could probably hit a HR off him and I'm 59 years old and haven't played since I was 48. 

On 4/6/2017 at 0:52 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, a) The Bushes are actually rich, and have run a baseball team successfully before,  b) Jeter would bring some necessary star power to a city obsessed with celebrity, c) anyone but Loria,  and most importantly, d) Shut up. 

2uehUnr.gif

I love you, Dolfan,  I do.  But the Marlins as baseball's biggest shitshow is fantastically fun.

Now, people (including said, Dreamy Captain Jetes) may be potentially be backing away from buying the Marlins because they are...well -

"No, it’s whether Jeter wants to be the person to wade into the muck and mire that is the Marlins’ financial situation, which multiple sources familiar with it deemed “toxic,” “a dumpster fire” and “worse than the Dodgers’ and Rangers’ when they went into bankruptcy.”

7 hours ago, OSJ said:

Latter day Dave Kingman... How the fuck does a guy like Big Mac get a job as a hitting coach? The only thing he knows about hitting is that he wasn't very good at it...

You can say Mac was flawed and that's fair, but to compare him to Dave Kingman is crazy. Nobody ever brought a ticket to see Dave Kingman. As tainted as it is in hindsight McGuire was a cultural phenomenon. I remember when he visited Shea and the place was a madhouse.

7 hours ago, OSJ said:

Latter day Dave Kingman... How the fuck does a guy like Big Mac get a job as a hitting coach? The only thing he knows about hitting is that he wasn't very good at it...

Sure, I don't know what anyone could learn from a player with a .394 career OBP or multiple seasons batting 300 while maintaining a career .588 Slugging Percentage either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Sure, I don't know what anyone could learn from a player with a .394 career OBP or multiple seasons batting 300 while maintaining a career .588 Slugging Percentage either.

Hush. Dude averages 50 homers every 162 games and has a career OPS+ of 163, that means he couldn't hit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

Hush. Dude averages 50 homers every 162 games and has a career OPS+ of 163, that means he couldn't hit. 

Without a needle in his ass he would have batted about .225 and hit 25-30 taters  a year. You know me, I give the benefit of the doubt to accused roiders to ridiculous extremes, but I've met the McGwire brothers and I'm a big fella and Dan makes me look average at best, Mark made Dan look like an anemic dwarf. Human beings just don't have musculature like that without a lot of help. Either forget the roid thing entirely, (which I actually have no problem with) and put the greatest player of all-time in the HOF where he belongs and then we can talk about Big Mac, or make a ruling that no one that played in the roid era can go into the HOF. The former makes sense, the latter is ridiculous, but as long as we have these silly double standards, talk of McGwire as a HOFr when Bonds isn't in is just bullshit. 

10 hours ago, sabremike said:

You can say Mac was flawed and that's fair, but to compare him to Dave Kingman is crazy. Nobody ever brought a ticket to see Dave Kingman. As tainted as it is in hindsight McGuire was a cultural phenomenon. I remember when he visited Shea and the place was a madhouse.

You are wrong sir, I specifically bought a ticket to see Dave Kingman play in the Kingdome and the S.O.B. hit a homer that never came back to earth. (Well it did when they tore the place down, ball was stuck in the ceiling behind a tile.)

• Like 2

I don't do this very often, but I'm going to admit that I'm somewhat wrong about Big Mac. I reviewed his stats (including the more advanced ones), and he was actually much better than the boom or bust I recalled. I still don't think that a guy who can attribute most of his success to freakish eye-hand coordination and muscles induced artificially is really the best person to be teaching hitting to a bunch of guys that don't have those advantages, but that's just me.

FWIW: The greatest right-handed pure hitter the game has ever seen, Rogers Hornsby, was a horrible hitting coach. Most humans lack his vision and eye-hand coordination, so expecting a normal person to learn to hit like Rogers Hornsby is futile, they just don't have the same set of tools.

Going on a road trip to Toronto, Cleveland and Pittsburgh memorial day weekend. Any tips on getting cheap tickets, ballpark food, what to do in town would be greatly appreciated.