DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 33 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

59 minutes ago, quackhell said:

Yep for YEARS now. That dude hasn't cared for a loooooooong time.

I was thinking "not anymore than every other match he's had recently"

You need evidence that Styles is a miracle worker, it's that he got decent matches from Ambrose.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Cena proposing to Nikki after retiring Undertaker would've been quite the sight.

"Not only have I retired Undertaker, I've also retired....my fear of commitment!"

• Like 15

Couldn't sleep so I plowed through a lot of this show. Quick notes:

I was surprised that Nia Jax would be the glue that held the women's four-way together. As soon as she got eliminated the match fell apart in a hurry and didn't recover.

The boss should know better when it comes to taking his matches home: Rollins/HHH would've been a better story if it was 7-10 minutes shorter. The point of Triple H's character at this point in his career is to take these struggling young guys and mold them into the superstars that carry the WWE forward. This match didn't teach Seth how to be a Main Eventer: it suggested to him to continue to get his stupid shit in, regardless if it makes sense or not. The dueling Pedigrees were nonsense.

Everyone talks about guys like Kofi or Jeff or Shelton doing crazy stuff off ladders...but over the past several years, who is routinely the guy on the receiving end of that nonsense? Sheamus, who didn't shy away from any ladders despite his face having been caved in a week previous. That's a tough fella.

The Miz played the Orlando crowd like a damn fiddle. Kudos to John Cena, not only for letting The Miz run his mouth for weeks...but for basically letting Miz kick his ass the entire match. The YesKicks were a surreal WrestleMania moment, to be sure.

I hated the entire Orton/Wyatt story but was hoping they would have a good match. It was solid, but I think its position on the show really hurt it. After 3.5 hours of the main show (meaning at least 5 hours of sitting there, in the heat, with an obstructed view and a million lights blinding everyone), I think the fans just refused to invest in the story they attempted. Also it seems the only person Bray's weird magic creeped out was JBL on commentary, as Randy basically no-sold all of it. Bummer.

• Like 1

To be fair, Orton/Wyatt works if Orton doesn't say "Hey, I heard in a booking meeting about a year ago that you're winning the WWE Title at Fastlane so imma pretend we are friends and win the Royal Rumble and then say I don't want a title shot but really I do because this company forgot how to book Royal Rumble winners during a brand split. LOLZ."

But that opens about seven cans of worms in regards to how they came to the matches they actually had at WrestleMania and who was champion going in...and hey, they're a billion-dollar company and I book shows once a month that make a grand CANADIAN each time...so like, 87 bucks US each month. Fuck me and my dumb opinion.

• Like 3

Re: Ambrose. I think people forget that he was on top last Summer, going over Reigns and Rollins and doing just fine. The Ziggler match was by no means terrible. Yeah he's not particularly motivated to go above and beyond when it's not worth his while, but I'm not particularly convinced that's some major crime. He was super fucking hot coming out of The Shield, and they went with the other two. He'd probably rather work heel anyway, maybe he'll get the chance to do so this year - having Ambrose return to RAW and decide he just can't let go of his beef with Rollins (despite Rollins now actually being contrite) should be the place his storyline arc goes, but there's a good chance they'll keep him in the spot he's in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Orton / Bray works if the last crazy image projected was snakes, and Wyatt is so shocked he eats the RKO. Orton out mind gaming Bray is an interesting story. What they did was not.

It might've worked if Orton had bothered to sell the videos by being freaked out or something. The ref bailed out of the ring like his ass was on fire each time and Orton didn't do anything. It would've worked better if the video plays when Orton starts setting up for the punt and he gets freaked out and stops in his tracks.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, CSC said:

So yea ... I haven't read 15 pages of stuff in this thread - but after 7 fucking hours of a wrestling show (especially for the poor bastards outside that entire time) they could bring out reincarnated Eddy Guerrero and Randy Savage and I think I would still be like "hope this doesn't go over like 10 minutes so this thing will just be over."

Isn't that the matchup Sasha and Bayley have been striving to pull of?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

Did Jim Ross on commentary make yall nostalgic or not?

It made me 100% sure that it was Taker's last match before Ross even put on the headset. Before I was at 99ish.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, quackhell said:

Yep for YEARS now. That dude hasn't cared for a loooooooong time.

Go back and watch the elimination chamber match. 

When he's wrestling a balding ex football player  In a nothing feud ,different story.

Damn, this is a long thread to read through.  I'm going to try and not echo what many have said, but here goes:

Watching this at a local bar is the way to go for WM.  Have a few beers and not think too much about the actual matches sounds right for this show.  Seeing the patrons lose their ever-loving minds over the Hardys was one helluva experience you can't get at home.  Heck, I think after expecting New Day when the theme hit my soul temporarily left my body.  And being in Baltimore we were over-the-moon ecstatic to see him not only wear Maryland gear but win.  Say what you will about Mojo but for this one reason he's A-OK with me.  Thankfully he's been smart enough to get crab cakes shipped to him.

As for the main show without thinking too much about sloppy MMA holds and such AJ/Shane was pretty damn awesome.  While the way Bayley got to WM was curious with the booking her winning felt so, so right.  Same goes for Naomi's win.  The Hardys deserve a basket of green beans for having tag gold from three companies in the first few months.  At this point WWE should just pay TNA whatever money so they can shut the fuck up and let the Hardys become broken.  And knowing what'd happen with the Cena/Nikki match I hated every single bit of it.  Miz/Maryse deserved better than this shit.

I started to lose energy and patience when HHH/Rollins came on.  If living out one's fantasy means we get Steph looking like she did I'm on board with whatever wacky entrance HHH does (I'm a simple man)  But the match itself dragged and exhaustion led to me wanting to fall asleep.  Once I saw the first image pop up for Orton/Wyatt I just went home, didn't need to force myself awake through that noise.  I'm glad I missed the bulk of it and have no intention of watching that.  While I did see the SD Women's match I fell asleep during most of 'Taker/Reigns.  And reading about the match I'm glad I did.  It's bad enough seeing 'Taker hobble around the past few years, knowing his last match went like it did saddens me.  Actually watching it would be much worse.  But I did see the retirement with his gear in the ring.  He should have retired long ago, but have tons admiration for the HOF career he's had.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Zartan said:

When he's wrestling a balding ex football player  In a nothing feud ,different story.

He definitely picks his moments. He was busting ass when Cena was off and he was given the ball for a few months. 

I've mentioned it before, but going back to his interview on Talk is Jericho a good while ago, and you can hear the dissatisfaction he has with WWE in his voice and even sometimes in his answers. He said he had yet to deliver a promo that he was happy with because there's always something fake and scripted about even his best ones that spoils it for him.

Did anyone else scream at the TV, "Turn it into a Dragon Sleeper!" during the Tombstone botch? I know they did the best they could with it, but the collective oof noise from 75,000 people broke my heart. 

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

It might've worked if Orton had bothered to sell the videos by being freaked out or something. The ref bailed out of the ring like his ass was on fire each time and Orton didn't do anything. It would've worked better if the video plays when Orton starts setting up for the punt and he gets freaked out and stops in his tracks.

I thought for sure that's where it was heading, with one final projection that Orton uses to get in to Wyatt's head and then the RKO. As it was, there was a final projection by Bray, Orton and Bray did nothing to sell that, 2 minutes later there was a random "RKO Outta Nowhere" and the match is done.

2 hours ago, Zartan said:

I thought he looked terrible in the Elimination Chamber. Everything he does is soft and weak and doesn't look legit. I am not asking for strong style stiff, but man he is just lazy. His diving light shove through the ropes, his careful bumping, bracing his head on back suplexes etc...for a lunatic he sure is awfully cautious. Also dogging it in a bad program just makes it very awful. Corbin was willing to try and make something of it and Dean gave him nothing. Ambrose being Ambrose indeed. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Couldn't sleep so I plowed through a lot of this show. Quick notes:

I was surprised that Nia Jax would be the glue that held the women's four-way together. As soon as she got eliminated the match fell apart in a hurry and didn't recover.

The boss should know better when it comes to taking his matches home: Rollins/HHH would've been a better story if it was 7-10 minutes shorter. The point of Triple H's character at this point in his career is to take these struggling young guys and mold them into the superstars that carry the WWE forward. This match didn't teach Seth how to be a Main Eventer: it suggested to him to continue to get his stupid shit in, regardless if it makes sense or not. The dueling Pedigrees were nonsense.

Everyone talks about guys like Kofi or Jeff or Shelton doing crazy stuff off ladders...but over the past several years, who is routinely the guy on the receiving end of that nonsense? Sheamus, who didn't shy away from any ladders despite his face having been caved in a week previous. That's a tough fella.

The Miz played the Orlando crowd like a damn fiddle. Kudos to John Cena, not only for letting The Miz run his mouth for weeks...but for basically letting Miz kick his ass the entire match. The YesKicks were a surreal WrestleMania moment, to be sure.

I hated the entire Orton/Wyatt story but was hoping they would have a good match. It was solid, but I think its position on the show really hurt it. After 3.5 hours of the main show (meaning at least 5 hours of sitting there, in the heat, with an obstructed view and a million lights blinding everyone), I think the fans just refused to invest in the story they attempted. Also it seems the only person Bray's weird magic creeped out was JBL on commentary, as Randy basically no-sold all of it. Bummer.

Seamus might be the best heavy I've seen in ladder matches. He was a wreck in the aftermath against Reigns.