DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 33 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

6 minutes ago, Josh Mann said:

It was really an excellent piece of business when you also factor in JBL as a commentator still hanging on to the last piece of mythical faith. And then...nothing. 

And I know he's not the most popular person this week, but that was a hell of a job by JBL putting over the last stand that never happened. 

Seriously, one of the best parts of the whole deal was the guys who who've wrestled Taker like Shawn and JBL and called his matches for decades like JR and Cole being in denial. Also, Taker towered over Roman, which really surprised me. 

1 hour ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Roman is my guy, so that's all that really matters. Everyone else can continue humming Nakamura's theme song or pretending Sasha Banks is the best wrestler on the planet or whatever it is you people not on the winning team do.

Let's say you were sitting at a blackjack table in Las Vegas or Atlantic City, you'd be rooting for the house, wouldn't you?

57 minutes ago, steve said:

I would pay for Reigns as Undertaker vs. the Sea Creature.

If there is a Chikara 10 years from now, there's a chance that match happens.

• Like 3

So yea ... I haven't read 15 pages of stuff in this thread - but after 7 fucking hours of a wrestling show (especially for the poor bastards outside that entire time) they could bring out reincarnated Eddy Guerrero and Randy Savage and I think I would still be like "hope this doesn't go over like 10 minutes so this thing will just be over."

• Like 10

5 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

WWE is that bastard step-child nobody wanted. He's now 43 and an enormous success. He has a loving and supporting wife and children. The envy of the neighborhood. He is financially set for live. From the outside, he has everything. But from the inside he'd sell out his own family for a phone call from daddy on his birthday.

So WWE was literally Vince in 88.

• Like 3

I think a crucial part of the Reigns timeline that people often forget is that his first non-Shield program against Orton flopped hard and he absolutely looked like a dude who wasn't ready for a big solo push.  That's the last thing anybody saw from him before his injury and subsequent insta-push to the Mania main event.  I think that had a great deal to do with how the perception of him was colored at that time.

But anyway, I'm glad another Wrestlemania has come and gone and we're debating the worthiness of Roman Reigns yet again.  Let's just do this forever.  Make it the new Streak.

• Like 3

I loved the entire show except Orton vs Bray.  Then again, we do Mania as a big party. We're grilling and drinking, kids are running around booing and cheering the good guys and bad guys, and friends and family who don't really watch wrestling sit down and watch . I had a blast.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I loved the entire show except Orton vs Bray.  Then again, we do Mania as a big party. We're grilling and drinking, kids are running around booing and cheering the good guys and bad guys, and friends and family who don't really watch wrestling sit down and watch . I had a blast.

Did you have good snacks?

I mentioned this on my twitter, but anyone bitching that a match got "relegated" to the pre-show...those guys are probably happy. Would Neville/Aries have gotten 15? Would Corbin/Ambrose have gotten 11? NO: they'd have been put in the same position as the Smackdown women. I'm sure those ladies are REALLY happy that social media demanded they get put on the main show. Thanks, internet!

It's gonna take me forever to watch the whole show because I'm old and have a horrible attention span, but I enjoyed the pre-show MATCHES (the talking head portions were mostly nonsensical drivel):

Neville going for Aries' eye was good stuff, and I'm glad they stayed the course with King Neville. It would've been easy to go with Aries to get his push back on track after a lengthy injury hiatus, but I think Aries will do better as "gatekeeper heel" while Neville stays on top for a while longer.

While I would've rather that Luke Harper had won the Battle Royale, I enjoy Mojo for his infectious energy. Is he any good? No...but he's fun out there. The security guard bit was great for all the wrong reasons, but I'm glad Jinder got a moment.

Corbin/Ambrose was solid. I was impressed with Corbin's improvement as a wrestler, in that he didn't panic on the flubbed Deep Six and was able to keep the match on track and moving forward, If I'm armchair booking, I would love to see Corbin and Ambrose get tired of beating each other up and join forces to beat up everyone else...not in a Sheamus/Cesaro "not really friends" gimmick, but as two angry fuckers brawling with everything that moves. Might add a new dynamic to the SDL tag division. But that's just me.

2 minutes ago, zev said:

Did you have good snacks?

Burgers, wieners, brats, beers, margaritas, homemade potato salad, homemade baked beans, cornbread, and assorted other goodies. 

Also, I got to sit by my little nephew while he cheered Cena and my 21 year old nephew who used to watch with me as he got to see his old favorites the Hardys and see Taker, who he liked as a kid, say goodbye. And their folks put aside that wrestling isn't their thing and get into it along me and my friends.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

I mentioned this on my twitter, but anyone bitching that a match got "relegated" to the pre-show...those guys are probably happy. Would Neville/Aries have gotten 15? Would Corbin/Ambrose have gotten 11? NO: they'd have been put in the same position as the Smackdown women. I'm sure those ladies are REALLY happy that social media demanded they get put on the main show. Thanks, internet!

I'm pretty sure they were happy until mid Sunday when they realized they were getting 5 minutes in a death spot before the main event.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I'm pretty sure they were happy until mid Sunday when they realized they were getting 5 minutes in a death spot before the main event.

Oh I agree...but if that's on the pre-show, who gets that doomed spot? Ambrose/Corbin?

1 hour ago, Marty Sugar said:

I'm sure those ladies are REALLY happy that social media demanded they get put on the main show. Thanks, internet!

Why wouldn't they be happy that a large chunk of fans respected their work to the point they fought for all of them to live out a dream of wrestling on a Wrestlemania card with no asterisk?

It's not like they were getting to do a 25-minute epic on the pre-show, and the out-pouring of support from the fans probably means more to them than losing a couple minutes of match time.

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, quackhell said:

Yep for YEARS now. That dude hasn't cared for a loooooooong time.

I was thinking "not anymore than every other match he's had recently"

You need evidence that Styles is a miracle worker, it's that he got decent matches from Ambrose.

• Like 2