DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 33 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

People hate people for all sorts of stupid reasons

I mean the dude who was INFURIATED at Meltzer for spoiling that Cena was proposing to Nikki is still making me laugh

46 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Enjoying thinking the Today Show is going to let AJ Styles on with that hair cut.

Uh dude AJ Styles hair should be landing him shampoo commercials and endorsements from Paul Mitchell. You are crazy if you think the women and men on the Today show wouldn't lose their shit over it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Uh dude AJ Styles hair should be landing him shampoo commercials and endorsements from Paul Mitchell. You are crazy if you think the women and men on the Today show wouldn't lose their shit over it.

Oh yeah, people were going nuts for it last night on twitter, the way it was blowing around in that wind. 

People LOVE AJ's hair. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

A.J.'s dislike of THE GAY COMMUNITY should keep him out of the endorsement business.

So Roman retiring the Undertaker just makes me wonder ... why can't he be the next Undertaker? As in, '90s Taker was kept far away from the title picture but still had programs people reacted to fighting the freak of the week. Roman would still get the excitement from his contingent, he'd still sell merch, and you wouldn't have ridiculous crowd reactions in your main events.

I think Cena/Taker was the original plan, because they were building up Dean & Renee for Miz & Maryse at first. I think it was Roman/Brock, then Goldberg was inserted and shuffled the deck.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This was the part that was most striking to me about the final match. Once Reigns kicked out of the tombstone, every single person in the crowd knew what was going to happen. So, the vicious boos and "bullshit" chants eventually just became... silence. (Especially after the botched tombstone reversal.)

Goddamnit guys... The motherfucking UNDERTAKER just got retired by the company's ace.

It wasn't shocking, it wasn't a huge moment, it just happened. And the crowd reacted that way. This is a bad sign.  

Roman's not the guy. He'll never be the guy. He could have been the guy, but Vince decided to artificially make him the guy instead of seeing if it would happen on it's own. As mindless as we the fans might be, we hate being told YOU WILL CHEER FOR THIS PERSON and Roman is epitome of the corporate poster child for YOU WILL CHEER FOR THIS PERSON. He has the smile, the look, the everything they want. But he doesn't connect with us on that organic level. Everything about him comes off as machined and that is the problem and until the WWE realizes that, he will never be the guy.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jstout said:

The crowd HATED HATED HATED Rollins-HHH until the end, when they managed to get sucked back into the match. The Stephanie table bump was cute, the match was really well-done and I managed to shake off my sincere "meh" for Rollins enough to really like the match.

I was at the show and nobody seemed to hate the match. It was quiet during stretches because the match was really long and HHH working the knee by grabbing hold isn't going to get people going after being outside in 85 degree heat for 5+ hours. Plus, honestly, Seth wasn't that liked. He had a few chants but most of the response to him was either lukewarm or would die after 20 guys tried to get a chant going. I'd describe the reactions as boredom/apathy until the end when the Pedigree reversals and so forth got the crowd excited again.

1 hour ago, jstout said:

Reigns-Taker was more of a "what happens with the sideshow?" match than a traditional main event. Would Orlando fans boo shit out of Reigns? (Not really, they didn't really seem to care much one way or the other, which is a bad sign for WWE.) Would Reigns snap and go full-blown heel (kept waiting and waiting for this, never really happened, with a little bit of  a tease during the chairshots)?

Oh, Roman got the shit booed out of him. Maybe they muted the crowd or something because he got easily the most hate of anybody on the show. There were a few small smatterings of Roman supporters but they'd immediately get drowned out by people chanting "Roman sucks" or otherwise hurling insults at him. I was at Mania 28 in Miami and I'd say Cena had more support that day than Roman had last night. The only reason it quieted down is it became very very apparent they were doing Flair-HBK where Taker can't win but is just too stubborn to stay down so we just wanted the match to end so we could salute Undertaker and head home. I don't know how it came across on TV or if maybe the ringside rows were different but around the Zombie Sit-up Collapse, it seemed like everybody knew he was losing.

A problem with Roman's booking is it always has more than a vague feeling of being recycled bits from other wrestlers' careers (you could say this for all three Shield guys, with the most oblique being Seth/Hunter of course.) There's some Batista, some Cena, some Austin, Hogan, etc. It's normal because nothing under the sun is new and wrestling booking is largely the same as it used to be despite Vince's protests that he reinvented the wheel. But if you're already predisposed to not like the guy it's going to have the feeling of being artificial and forced. When they're clearly paralleling Flair/HBK and HBK/Taker toward the end of the match last night, it's not a narrative choice to people that hate Roman, it's Vince trying to feed Roman off of other wrestlers' legacies. It has more to do with perception and that weird lifelong fan animosity that WWE is mired in.

It was really an excellent piece of business when you also factor in JBL as a commentator still hanging on to the last piece of mythical faith. And then...nothing. 

And I know he's not the most popular person this week, but that was a hell of a job by JBL putting over the last stand that never happened. 

• Like 1