DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 33 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

Meltzer said that the Hardys came to the stadium well after the show started.

Like supposedly they had them go to the hotel and be like "Yeah - still recovering from last night. Going to rest now" (since fans were still stalking the lobby) and then went straight to the stadium when they were "in their rooms"

• Like 2

Neville/Aries was really good and I think they have a better match in them too. Neville putting a thumb in his eye was a great payoff for the match and all of AA's commentary on 205Live. 

The Battle Royal was fine, as a Pats fan I love seeing Gronk on the football field but I don't really care about him off of it. Would have rather seen, Braun, Sami, Dain, Mark Henry or Big Show (a fitting way to go out if this is his last WM) than Mojo. And how the hell was Mahal the last guy eliminated there are other heels they could have plugged in there but I'm guessing they wanted it Raw vs SDL and didn't want Braun to go out to one guy.

Corbin/Dean was mediocre at best. Dean was off badly, just telegraphing shit and lazily waiting for spots, the stair spot was particularly bad with Dean just standing there not really selling anything, just waiting to get out the way like he needed to while Corbin was trying to actually work a match and get something out of it.Corbin should of won and I hope they do put the title on him Tuesday just because of Dean's performance.

AJ/Shane was a perfectly fun brawly match but was still a waste of AJ. Some cool spots, didn't go too long and Shane didn't do anything super stupid ( i legit wondered if was going to do a dive off the stage)

KO/Jericho was probably the best match Jericho has left in him at this point, it was fine and we'd probably all love it if it was a Raw main event but on PPV and Mania in particular it was just quite good.

Women's 4way was interesting, it wasn't bad it wasn't really good either kinda in the middle. I really liked that no one used their finishers to eliminate an opponent though helps keep things going and really is something that should happen more often.

Ladder match was probably my MOTN based on pure enjoyment of watching. Hardy's were a surprise I did bite on the New Day tease and thought they were going in. Sucks for Enzo and Cass since I had figured they were getting the win here since they got called up, maybe they get the win in Brooklyn they should have gotten in NXT two years ago. Also the spot where Cesaro's leg went through the rungs when the ladder was pushed over was scary glad he was able to get back in and seemed alright. The Sheamus/Cesaro entrance was nice too guess they're staying a team for a while. 

HHH/Rollins was terrible but somehow not the worst thing on the card. The high point of the match was HHH not being able to resist the lure of the sledgehammer once he saw it. 

Orton/Wyatt was one of the worst matches in Mania history and I never want to see it again. No flow to it, silly "mind games", abrupt finish, Randy Orton so many things bad about it.

Goldberg/Lesnar was fun not something I'll probably never re-watch it but it was probably Lesnar's best match in a couple of years at least even if it was just suplex,s spears and finishers.

Taker/Reigns was sad and overly long as well. Sad that is the match Taker goes out on but him leaving his stuff in the ring was cool and seeing him break character to kiss McCool really solidified that this was it for him. 

A better show than last year on reflection but still not a show I will likely ever want to revisit. HHH/Rollins and Orton/Wyatt could both make the list for worst Mania matches ever and if you remove Taker's retirement stuff the main event is a contender for the list also. 

The whole thing was way to f'n long though, just ridiculously long. I figured they were going to bump the SDL Women's match sometime between 10-11pm (which bummed me out because I wanted to see them get their Mania match cause they've helped SDL be a good-great show) so when they went to it after the Lesnar match I was shocked and disheartened that the show was going to be longer. The ramp did not need to be that long it was stupid. Pitbull should have been on the preshow or part of the opening. IT also sucks that Samoa Joe and Balor didn't get on the show at all.

I wanted a twist on Cena/Nikki and thought it was too predictable, but I accept what Meltzer said: "A twist would have been too Russo."

You got an oddly sweet moment instead. 

But I will always secretly suspect Cena telling Nikki to "Fuck off" in the middle of the ring because he's tired of her pressuring him into marriage would have been utterly hilarious. 

It's Roman so that some 9-year old on the playground can tell his friends that his parents didn't let him stay up 4 hours past his bed time, but Roman retired the undertaker!

Mojo won the battle royale so espn can plug that gronk was on the show.

Cena proposed so that I can come home to my wife telling she learned all about the engagement from mentions on E! News. 

Just if anyone wants to know these sorts of things

"Official" Match times (ie: Jason Powell's match times which is what is now on Wiki) 

• CWC Title - 15:40
  • Andre - 14:07
  • IC Title - 10:55
  • AJ/Shane - 20:09
  • US Title - 16:20
  • Raw Women - 12:08
  • Ladder Match - 11:05
  • Mixed Tag - 9:40
  • HHH/Rollins - 25:30 
  • Bray/Orton - 10:30
  • Brock/Goldberg - 4;45
  • SDL Women - 5:35
  • Taker/Reigns - 23:00

These do not include entrances - so HHH/Rollins was over 30 minutes

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Not so much here, but I think a lot of people thinking "why Roman?" are forgetting how close Taker is with the Samoans, especially Rikishi and Yoko

The only reason this match happened was because Vince McMahon wanted it to happen due to long-term booking plans involving Roman Reigns.

Here's the thing with Taker that I finally realized, though.

You're never going to be in that spot unless they're already behind you. Like, you could argue that Roman and Brock are the two guys that needed a win over Taker the least, and that they could make a Wyatt or whatever... but in hindsight, they'd never waste Taker at Wrestlemania on a "chance".

People don't like that, but it is what it is.

You realize Brock almost left WWE after WrestleMania 30, right? Imagine if he ended the Streak, and then left again and went back to the UFC or moose hunting or whatever. That's a chance.

A chance is also booking someone you position as your legit #1 babyface to beat the Undertaker, knowing full well he gets heel reactions in most cities and this is going to make it even worse. A "sure thing" regarding this outcome and Roman Reigns would be a heel turn - that's a bullseye "sure thing" because it makes sense.

• Like 1

I went to Wrestlemania this year because my friend mistook NXT Takeover with Wrestlemania when he got the tickets. I was very pissed, but I couldn't complain because it was not my money. So we went and I lost interest after Naomi Knight won the Smackdown Women's Title. I heard boos for Goldberg, but honestly I just wanted it to end. It's fucking midnight and I really did not want to see Roman and Taker. I-4 is a pain in the ass to get back home in. My friend is a huge Taker fan so fuck we had to stay because apparently Roman just had to be in the fucking main event again. So yeah, that last match was sloppy. Both Roman and Taker were botching shit and nothing seemed to flow naturally. I also hate Roman's little drop kick like it looks like he is slamming himself at times. It works when it is on the apron and shit, but when he is doing it without...it looks stupid.  I was hoping that Taker be the one person who just boots Roman when he does the superman punch, but alas. It was great seeing Taker getting the send off he deserves and at least he did it to put someone over. Sadly, it won't have any effect because no one likes Roman Reigns. 

I got bored so I was looking this up this morning

Taker finishes with a record of 23-2

Cena with his win last night is only the 2nd person to hit double digit wins (10-3)

Three people have double digit losses

Shawn Michaels (6-11)

Big Show (4-12 - including last night)

HHH (9-12 - including last night)

The Golden Truth are a combined 0-14 : Goldust (0-8) and Truth (0-6) by far have the most matches with no wins

And yesterday marked the first time Jeff Hardy won a match at Mania (1-6). For the record, Matt is 3-6

(and yes the list I found counted any multi-man match (Battle Royal, Ladder, MITB, etc..) that a person didn't win as a loss)

I thought everybody was being factitious about Roman being a sure thing. A sure thing as in him being a WWE lifer, likely. A sure thing about him being the "future" of the face of the company? I'm not sure about that one. He's not Cena.

But I don't think there was anything wrong with him going over, either.

10 minutes ago, Casey said:

You realize Brock almost left WWE after WrestleMania 30, right? Imagine if he ended the Streak, and then left again and went back to the UFC or moose hunting or whatever. That's a chance.

A chance is also booking someone you position as your legit #1 babyface to beat the Undertaker, knowing full well he gets heel reactions in most cities and this is going to make it even worse. A "sure thing" regarding this outcome and Roman Reigns would be a heel turn - that's a bullseye "sure thing" because it makes sense.

I think you mistake what I meant by chance.

Brock and Roman are already fully formed. Taker is a (big) notch in their belt, but they're not relying on one match to make them. With someone like a Wyatt, you're hoping it elevates them into the stratusphere, but it's still just a chance.

I'm not advocating one side or the other.

4 minutes ago, steve said:

Yeah, he is.

Look, Roman is fine and all but from a connection with the fans, they've invested 3 years on the guy with nearly all of the big marquee moments for younger guys going to him, and he's still not way out in front of the pack in terms of merchandise and getting mercilessly booed across the country and world with no heel turn in sight. You can quote merch numbers but do you really believe that if they had given the opportunities, time and effort to somebody who didn't come off as completely manufactured and has the personality of a wet dish cloth that you'd be seeing more separation in those merch numbers? He is good in the ring but not good enough to deserve the spot he has. He is a brutal babyface promo, though clearly shows potential as a heel on the mic. I am of the opinion that they would've already turned him if they were going to, so his being a better heel promo doesn't really matter. Maybe one day they realize he's more Randy Orton or Lex Luger than John Cena and decide to cut their losses. Maybe not. But without a heel turn I just don't see him becoming a real success.

• Like 3

There's no point in overthinking Roman's booking here.  It was a net gain of zero for him. He didn't gain or lose a following from it. Even in kayfabe the story of the match was really Taker vs the inevitable march of time.  The follow up to build the Brock match is going to be much more important. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Three people have double digit losses

Shawn Michaels (6-11)

Big Show (4-12 - including last night)

HHH (9-12 - including last night)

Kane has double-digit losses, too. He's 8-10.

It's like I'm back in 2006, and everyone's whinging about turning Cena heel because the crowd boos him and he's rammed down our throats, oblivious to the fact they will never turn him heel because he's the face of the company. Seriously, the sooner you accept Reigns and shit like this and move on the better everything will be for you. Or, y'know...

5986d8f8850dc2627900e4d941705219.jpg

• Like 5