DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 33 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Hooker said:

I would like to talk about Lesnar / Goldberg from a narrative perspective.

At Survivor Series, Goldberg shocked an overconfident Lesnar.  At that point, it could be a fluke. Then, in the Rumble, Goldberg shocked him again.  At this point, the story is going fine. A flaw has been exposed in a dominate force and it can no longer be considered a fluke. However, at in this match, Lesnar changed nothing. He wrestled the same match he always does, absorbed all the same punishment as before without having any answer for it, and just overcame it. The character learned nothing and didn't have to grow at all. It is an incredibly pointless and nihilistic story. It's the story of someone failing their driving test twice and then, doing no studying and changing nothing about how they approach it, take the test a third time and manage to pass it. Who could care?

I don't think Lesnar was beaten in the first match because of the damage he received. It was more that he was overconfident and caught by surprise. It was a flash KO.  This time Brock trained harder and took the match and his opponent seriously.

Aries/Neville was a great opener, glad they got a good amount of time. The battle royal was very oddly put together with Strowman getting dumped and coming off very much like just another guy, reminded me of Brock in Rumble 2016 he's just out and that's it. Couldn't believe Titus ONeil of everyone eliminated Harper. Liked that it was at least unpredictable as far as the winner. Surprised Ambrose/Corbin got put on the preshow but it was decent.

I loved Styles/Shane. Was surprised it went on first but thought it was awesome and definitely delivered. The springboard 450 into Shane's triangle choke was my favorite. Owens/Jericho was pretty good. Thought the Raw women's 4 way sucked and was super rushed, very disappointed by the end thinking Charlotte would get it back here. Hardys return was awesome and a huge highlight, great to see.

Disappointed by the mixed tag considering the build but figured it would mostly go that way. Hoped to see a little more Maryse ring time. Hated that HHH lost to injured Seth but thought it was at least a solid way of doing it and a mostly good match overall. Orton/Wyatt was disappointingly short, especially for the WWE title match. Lesnar/Goldberg on the other hand was an awesome little 4-5 minute brawl with the obvious outcome of course but a fun way getting there. Goldberg showed up tonight taking 10 germans and delivering the great spear thru the rail. Wish this wasn't the end of his run but it was fun.

Almost wished the SDL women stayed on the preshow since they ended up with just 5 minutes. Felt like it should've been Naomi's first title win here, though I hoped Alexa would retain to continue the chase. They often make Alexa look weaker than necessary in the booking. Main event went mostly as expected, hate to see Taker lose at Mania and sad to see the end of the legend but a cool a sendoff in the end. Overall thought the show was mostly good.

4 hours ago, piranesi said:

It is amazing how much time they wasted trying to build up sympathy for Seth Rollins. He is someone that it is literally impossible to feel bad for.  HHH could have cut his kneecap off, filled the empty part with salt and then sewn it back on and I would have been like "Yeah, but it's fucking Seth Rollins."

See here's the thing. You wanna turn a chickenshit heel face, you have to establish a line he won't cross, then have another heel cross it. Rollins basically turned face because he's upset that the heel authority figures won't give him unfair advantages any more. 

For that matter, why is Bray a heel? Because he's charismatic and spooky and the crowd loves him and he wins the World Title cleanly and...seriously, him being a heel is an informed attribute...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

For that matter, why is Bray a heel? Because he's charismatic and spooky and the crowd loves him and he wins the World Title cleanly and...seriously, him being a heel is an informed attribute...

It speaks volumes that the WWE has no idea how to sell a Jim Jones-esque Guyana Cherry Flavor-Aid serving doomsday prophet as a villain.

I blame Randy Orton.

Fuck Randy Orton.

Bray drops the belt in his title defense to the fucking Viper.

The "What kind of swamp cult leader doesn't know how to handle a snake?" joke writes itself.

• Like 11

Well, I see why they had the first half of the show how they did. They knew they had booked themselves into a corner with the second half with their usual confused storytelling.

AJ/Shane was better than it should have been. But we know it would be because of AJ. I got a good laugh at the ref having to get himself patched up. How's it feel to have stop the flow of a match so you can get patched up. Not so fun now is it.

Owens/Jericho was as good as we all thought it would be. It's a shame it wasn't for the Universal championship. Owens needed a title match like that so badly during his run.

The Women's 4 way was good. It really served no purpose of having Nia Jax in the match, but the triple powerbomb was pretty damn cool. I don't know why it came down to Bayley/Charlotte when Bayley/Sasha would have been a bit more interesting, but none the less it was a good match and hopefully did a little bit to redeem Bayley.

I was shocked The Hardy's came back. I figured they would come back on Monday night. Back to Back ladder matches. That must be fun. I almost feel sorry for Enzo and Cass. I have a feeling they are going to be that team that just will never get the tag titles no matter how much the crowd loves their stupid catch phrase. But man, 70,000 people doing the DELETE motion was so awesome. TNA probably shot the office television if they could afford one.

The whole Cena/Nikki vs. Miz/Maryse thing was sad to watch and that's where the show took a nose dive. Miz/Maryse could have used that win. They could have than did all that fake proposal crap afterwards and still gotten all the publicity they wanted. We the fans are happy and they are happy for their corporate/mainstream needs. If this was Nikki's last match, good riddance. This is why Brie was always the better Bella.

Triple H/Rollins was all right but God did it go on forever. For a non-sanctioned match it sure did seemed sanctioned (rope breaks, ect). It should have been a street fight 10 minutes tops. Rollins has no sympathy and now he beat Triple H and you know "it's only the beginning...uhhhh".

Orton/Wyatt was a match that should have been good but for what ever reason it wasn't. Orton went back into Blandy Orton mode I guess. This match could have used Harper badly. Orton is champion again...meeeehhhhhh. So, don't care. At least Bray as champion was interesting.

Goldberg/Brock was the match they should have had at Survivor Series. That was so damn awesome. I look forward to the Ozzy Man Review of the match. NAH FUCK YOU...NAH FUCK YOU...

The women's match was what it was. Glad that Naomi won. I see no reason why she couldn't have held onto the title this whole time. The WWE is really weird about their stupid defense and stuff. Good lord, Mickie James was smoking hot though.

Undertaker/Roman is what it was. They made the right choice to end the show with it. I'm sad to see Taker go out like this. I really hate that Roman is the one to have ended him. Them trying to redo Flair/Michaels at the end with Roman getting all teary and being all "I can't put you down...please don't get back up" and Taker having to be "would you be a man and spear me" was ehh, but man every time Taker kept kicking out I was like YES. The WWE needs to do an old western with him. I'd watch the hell out him doing his version of The Shootist. If this was it, symbolically leaving everything in the ring was a fitting end.

• Like 4

liked the Wyatt/Orton angle and I think WWE handles Orton better as a face but I don't understand why Wyatt didn't go over here. I saw it coming yeah, but Wyatt did well in his role as top Heel. A lot of us thought he was damaged good after the Cena feud years ago and then Taker. If they weren't going to put Bray over, then why not keep AJ as Champ and he face Orton until they were ready to invest in him fully. Harper got over as heck too but the didn't pick up steam with it.

I agree with a lot of what's been said here. WHY WHY WHY did Orton win here? The guy has the charisma of a glass of 1% milk and yet he keeps getting the ball over guys that can out work and out talk him. I LOATHE his gimmick, his matches, and his...oh fuck I probably hate his car too. Poor Bray...again...

I didn't HATE Triple H vs. Rollins but it was far too long. Hunter still does decent work for a dude his age. He's in great shape and knows how to get the crowd into the match. Rollins wasn't great here. Rollins really hasn't been great a lot post-Shield. It was what it was.

I will, however, part with the "Roman was awful" crowd. Seriously, what did y'all expect of him. You saw what Taker brought. He's been done for two years. Roman had a hostile crowd (as always) a sack of bones to work with, AND was in the main event of the biggest show of the year. It was a bullshit position to be in and I don't know that AJ Style could have done much better with what was left of the Undertaker.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hooker said:

I would like to talk about Lesnar / Goldberg from a narrative perspective.

At Survivor Series, Goldberg shocked an overconfident Lesnar.  At that point, it could be a fluke. Then, in the Rumble, Goldberg shocked him again.  At this point, the story is going fine. A flaw has been exposed in a dominate force and it can no longer be considered a fluke. However, at in this match, Lesnar changed nothing. He wrestled the same match he always does, absorbed all the same punishment as before without having any answer for it, and just overcame it. The character learned nothing and didn't have to grow at all. It is an incredibly pointless and nihilistic story. It's the story of someone failing their driving test twice and then, doing no studying and changing nothing about how they approach it, take the test a third time and manage to pass it. Who could care?

He did learn though. He went after Goldberg first this time. When he got speared, he rolled out of the ring instead of allowing Goldberg to follow up with the jackhammer. Then he leapfrogged the spear at the end and capitalized. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Becky Lynch wins best WrestleMania XXXII entrance as wasn't it Leeloo from The Fifth Element?

Somebody on Twitter said she was supposed to be the main character for Horizon Zero Dawn. I haven't played that, but when I googled it, it looks spot on. 

• Like 2

Okay - I am sure some stuff was already mentioned but God its gonna take forever to get through

But Meltzer believes this was the longest televised wrestling show ever in the US

• Like 1

The match order was perfect for me as everything I was remotely interested in was done by 9:30 pm.

I fell asleep during the HHH/Rollins match woke up to hear them introduce Pitbull and went to bed.

What I did watch I was entertained by (okay maybe it was like 80/20) so there is that.

Also - the internet was trying to get over the Ambrose was being punished for being drunk at the HOF.

I don't buy it because there would be no reason to not put the belt on Corbin if that was the case.

Haven't read the whole thread yet.  Thought the show was ok, maybe on the low side of ok.  Everything was in a very narrow range in terms of match quality, nothing super great and nothing super terrible.  Can't complain about any of the people booked to win, other than maybe Orton.  Without writing a whole long thing, I'm not mad about Reigns like some of you, but there's still a disconnect going on with the way he was booked here. There was very little wasted time (given that I knew the Pitbull performance was coming) and it didn't feel like an overly long show to me, even though it actually was.

For some reason the thing that stands out to me is when Naomi submitted Alexa, it looked like there was this forearm sitting on the mat that had a hand on both ends.  Kind of like if Thing from the Addams Family had been a conjoined twin.

7 hours ago, caley said:

Interestingly (Or maybe only interesting to me!), for all the upset at the booking of the old guys and part-timers stealing the spotlight, in almost all of the matches, age-wise, the younger competitor/team won.

-Neville is 8 years younger than Aries
-Mojo Rawley was one of the younger guys in the Battle Royal
-Ambrose is a year younger than Corbin
-Styles is 8 years younger than McMahon
-Kevin Owens is 14 years younger than Jericho
-Bayley is 2 years younger than the average age of her opponents
-Rollins is 17 years younger than Triple H
-Lesnar is 11 years younger than Goldberg
-Naomi is 2 years younger than the average age of her opponents
-Reigns is 21 years younger than Undertaker

The ones where the older wrestlers won:
-The Hardyz were 8 years older than the average age of the teams they beat
-Cena/Bella's average age is 2 years older than that of Miz/Maryse
-Orton is 8 years older than Bray Wyatt

You have to remember in wrestling, its not your age, it is how long you have been on TV.