DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 33 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

1 minute ago, Hagan said:

Bayley got a big win and Charlotte continues to excel. We need to establish an over/under on when she closes WM. 

Charlotte has wrestled everybody multiple times.  The only legit WM main event she's getting any time soon is against Asuka.  And we get a Vader/Flair angle out of it.  But the people in charge don't have a clue how to realistically get there.  As we saw tonight.

Literally Bayley could have had one of the all time great moments tonight.  But they chose to fuck it all up by having Bayley not only already have won the title but have already ended Charlotte's winning streak (which she did last month.)  So she wins tonight and it's just a match.  That shit pisses me off.  Either as a booker you are really that stupid or you did that shit on purpose to sabotage things.

• Like 5

Was AJ/Shane the closest yet we've come to seeing someone fulfill the old idiom about carrying a broomstick to a good match?  I can't imagine there are that many rungs between Shane and an actual broomstick.

4 minutes ago, zev said:

As for Mania, the pizza I had during Corbin's title match was really good. I liked more of the card than I disliked. But let me tell you, trying to explain why "Matt Hardy has weird hair now" to some that hasn't seen TNA in over a year is quite a chore. Some people just don't appreciate AI drones and volcanoes in wresting storylines.

Very true.

My wife heard the pop for the Hardy's and was like, "Why are those guys such a big deal?" and I was like

"Uhhhh.yeah...they did some stuff...they're old guys that...people...yeah..."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Takers back has been rumored to be shot going in to this, Maybe he shoulda waited till next year and Retire in NO when he first lost at Mania. The match wasn't too bad. This mania wasn't that good I seen only the end of AJ and Shane on up. The Hardy's Surprise was good which explains the Ladder match booking, which I thought was so random at the time 

If you can come even close to what would be exiting 100 percent on your own terms, you are ahead of the game. Only Taker knows what his 100 percent is. 

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

Was AJ/Shane the closest yet we've come to seeing someone fulfill the old idiom about carrying a broomstick to a good match?  I can't imagine there are that many rungs between Shane and an actual broomstick.

More like wrestling a heavier blow up doll like from DDT that you make do ugly jujitsu to you. There's people in black outfits to make it do the flying moves. The rest is up to you.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kronos said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

When you have to explain the Delete chants when you just want to watch Sheamus brogue kick Tex Ferguson, it's a little bad, yeah.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EVA said:

He threw great punches.

Granted, I think they were probably *real* punches. But who's counting?

My biggest problem with that one was not the action, which was generally pretty good. And AJ's finishing punch was absolutely gorgeous. My problem was that I don't know what kind of story was being told. If you make Shane look nearly as good as AJ, doesn't that kind of bury AJ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Victator said:

Well anytime he has been given a chance he has been over. Even if you bury him for a year, he gets cheered when pushed. 

Your view of the Miz feud is objectively wrong, since it is on video. Dolph was over enough, they seemingly changed direction to give him the IC title, when creative was firmly up Miz's ass. 

Next you contradict yourself, you say Miz was responsible for Dolph being cheered, but then Dolph had to be turned because he was not over. So which is it?

Cena is on a different level. Why were Bryan and Dolph not allowed to take similar shots at Miz?

Well the question is, why could Miz not do this without Daniel Bryan, if he is so talented. The only times Miz has been over as a singles act, are due to Bryan.

*sigh* 

"Anytime he has been given a chance he has been over" He got a fucking Title program at Summerslam that was met with crickets. His feud with Rusev in 2015 was basically the tombstone on the grave of Rusevs push after Cena. He has consistently failed to stay over in recent years when he's been given something. If anything, in most other programs, he's taken whoever he's worked with and dragged them down with him, all the while having matches that generally consistently underwhelm.

Also, they "changed directions" by putting hte title on Ziggler? The won Miz won back before the next PPV? It was a continuation of a feud that was getting over. Dolphs win was supposed to be a big moment for him, because the point of the feud was to elevate both. But it didn't, cause the fans just were not into cheering Dolph Ziggler. It's why when he's faced anyone OTHER then Miz in his face run, he wasn't getting much heat. So, if a face is getting a lot of fan response when only facing one heel, who is most likely the reason the face is being cheered. HINT: It's probably the heel.

And Miz's entire "shoot comment" thing was built as a comeback to Bryan saying "he doesn't think Miz is a very good wrestler." The entire fucking idea was that Bryan was taking shots at Miz, and Miz returned with shots against him, fired back up. It was that segment that got Miz heated up to begin with. Bryan was getting his shots in against Miz the entire way: The thing is Miz's points were generally better, and delivered with more passion.

Also, hey, let's just forget the late 2000's, cause Miz certainly wasn't over in his run up to winning the fucking WWE Title. Nope. Completely fabricated.

• Like 1

Just now, EVA said:

Can't wait to see how they immediately set about fucking up the Hardys tomorrow night.

Pretend that it's 2000?  I was actually kinda shocked that Matt's hair wasn't fully dyed.

Impact needs to really see how over the Hardys were tonight and realize that no matter what they do, it won't make any difference.  Broken Matt Hardy is probably the biggest thing TNA has done in years, and it didn't move the needle at all.  Hardys come back to WWE, the entire crowd loses their fucking shit.  And yeah, it's gonna be 2000s era Hardys.  Which really sucks.  

Neville/Aries was damn good and probably MOTN.

The battle royal was ok. Show and Braun going out early was kind of annoying, but I like Mojo so it was nice seeing him get a moment

Ambrose/Corbin was disappointing with a crowd that could not be bothered to give a shit. Corbin really should have won.

Shane/AJ was good fun, almost surprisingly so.

Raw Women's Title match was good though I wish they drew it out a bit more. Nia look awesome out there as a monster.

Raw Tag Titles match was fun

Cena/Nikki vs. Miz/Maryse was a match. I skipped most of the proposal though little I caught of it seemed sweet enough.

I paid little attention to HHH/Rollins. Bray/Orton was terrible. SD Women's match wasn't much though it was nice seeing Naomi win. I wish it had stayed on the pre-show where it might have gotten time.

Goldberg/Lesnar was perfect for the style they have been wrestling.

Taker/Reigns had some ok moments wit the trash talking and the ideas for setups were nice enough. Taker just didn't have enough left in him to really step up for anything worthwhile. Still I liked his retirement post match.

This was not a good show, but far from the terrible show that was last year's.

2 minutes ago, Kronos said:

He threw great punches.

My biggest problem with that one was not the action, which was generally pretty good. And AJ's finishing punch was absolutely gorgeous. My problem was that I don't know what kind of story was being told. If you make Shane look nearly as good as AJ, doesn't that kind of bury AJ?

Shane has a history though of going toe to toe with some pretty good wrestlers.  As along as he is not winning I can't see it making AJ look bad.  Shane is just a guy that when he is in a fight he is tough to beat.

• Like 1

Have we had Charlotte v Becky on ppv? Different brands now, but all it takes is a draft or a trade. 

Looks like Charlotte feuds with Jax for a bit now, based on some of the Mania action, until Asuka comes up. 

Btw, this is the first time I've liked Jax.

3 minutes ago, Kronos said:

He threw great punches.

Maybe 20 or 30 years ago it hurts him.  In 2017, it weirdly probably elevates him because he was so obviously just wrestling himself out there, and putting on a hell of a show in the process, which only enhances his rep as the best in the world.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, EVA said:

Maybe 20 or 30 years ago it hurts him.  In 2017, it weirdly probably elevates him because he was so obviously just wrestling himself out there, and putting on a hell of a show in the process, which only enhances his rep as the best in the world.

Yeah, good point.

8 minutes ago, Kronos said:

I forget 2001 exactitudes but didn't Shane get a bunch of offense on Angle at KOTR? aside from being thrown into an unbending pane of glass.. Shane isn't the worst promoters son overpush, but he's been sorta booked to be more than he really should be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Pretend that it's 2000?  I was actually kinda shocked that Matt's hair wasn't fully dyed.

Impact needs to really see how over the Hardys were tonight and realize that no matter what they do, it won't make any difference.  Broken Matt Hardy is probably the biggest thing TNA has done in years, and it didn't move the needle at all.  Hardys come back to WWE, the entire crowd loses their fucking shit.  And yeah, it's gonna be 2000s era Hardys.  Which really sucks.  

They were on twitter after the match with the belts in the broken characters.  Not saying they will allow that past tonight, but it gives me some hope at least.

Rollins-Hunter was really awful. Wasn't Rollins just limping around with the crutch on Monday? Then he comes out tonight looking spry, flying and jumping around the ring.

Of course, Hunter eventually starts working the knee, but to me the story was is Rollins even healthy coming into it? Can his knee hold up? And he looked as normal as ever for the first 10 minutes of the match.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fallacy! said:

Rollins-Hunter was really awful. Wasn't Rollins just limping around with the crutch on Monday? Then he comes out tonight looking spry, flying and jumping around the ring.

Of course, Hunter eventually starts working the knee, but to me the story was is Rollins even healthy coming into it? Can his knee hold up? And he looked as normal as ever for the first 10 minutes of the match.

those pneumonia meds really help your legs, brudda

I could have skipped the last two hours of this show and been happy.  Hell, if I'm honest, my internet connection could have cut out after Aries/Neville and I would have just shrugged and moved on with my life.  Everybody else has really touched on the highs and lows of this show, so it's not really necessary for me to.

One thought I had: if the Hardyz get clear ownership of the broken gimmick, they need to do away with the Attitude Era music.  Other than that, it was really cool to see them back.