DVDVR Message Board

El Satanico, MS-1 y Masakre vs. Rayo de Jalisco Jr., La Fiera y Tony Salazar (3/20/87)

Phil Schneider

• 1 month later...

Real good heated trios.  Opening rudo mugging was really good, Satanico smashing Salazar with big shoulder blocks was cool; the beginning of the second fall it got real good though, they took it to Jalisco and went after Fiera's leg.  Jalisco's big comeback was awesome and the crowd went nuts for it and he took out all three Infernales both in the ring and on the outside.  Good competitive third fall.

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell from the start this is gonna be better with the whole crowd chanting what sounds like "PERROS" at los Infernales while they laugh in pride and mockery. They even sign like two autographs, amazingly! Tony Salazar does some of the most ridiculous selling of turnbuckle bumps, running all the way across the ring and falling on his face. We're back to Fiera selling the leg again and get a bizarre triple sub to end him, before torturing him on the ropes in exquisitely evil fashion. I have no idea how Rayo gets his hair sticking out his mask and is bit so viciously with no juice. No idea how segunda caida ends; I'm guessing count-out. Tercera is fast and furious and Fiera gives the international "fuck you" high-sign before an enziguri, hell yeah! Then suddenly Infernales win. That could have used blood from Rayo and a couple more minutes (and dives) at the end. Still, better than the last two.

Watching this set has given me a better appreciation for some guys I always knew were great (Satanico, La Fiera, Sangre Chicana), introduced me to guys I've never heard of (As Charro), and turned some vaguely familiar names into names I want to seek out (Mocho Cota) but through all of this Rayo De Jalisco Jr. is someone whose stock has risen albeit in very quiet fashion. Sure, I already had a soft spot for him because he has a cool mask, fun dance moves, and Cien Caras vs Rayo De Jalisco Jr. is just as fun as wrestling gets but I still never thought of him as being this great. He's not the most amazing wrestler on the set but he really brings it in these trios matches. He has great timing when rudos stooge for his schtick, great selling when taking a beating, and produces some really hot comebacks like the one in this match. The rest of the tecnico team features La Fiera is great working the same leg injury as the 2/27 trios match and Tony Salazar who I was initially high on but has become really hit and miss in his last few appearances on this set.

Which of course brings us to Los Infernales. They are easily one of the best, if not the best heel team in wrestling history. When they are mauling an opponent it is so brutal and so consistent that you can't help but wonder if it will ever let up. This is a tremendous showcase for them. That said, I'm still not sure how I feel about Masakre yet. I thought I remember somebody (Kris?) saying that the Masakre iteration of the team is their best version and Masakre has yet to really impress me. He's good and regardless of what he does he has two all time great rudos working with him so he could really fucking coast and this'd still be great. As great as it is this doesn't feel like quite the classic that some other Infernales matches have been and I don't think it's any better than the first Bucaneros trios match.

• 7 months later...

This was another one of those trios matches where the technicos are going to get beat on during the first fall, so they are annoyingly ineffective when they do anything.  When they go in the ring to try to save a partner, they just kind of stand there until they get attacked and beat down by a rudo.  Salazar's selling is pretty silly throughout the match.  Fiera does a nice job of bellowing when his leg keeps getting targeted.  It was pretty nasty to see his leg tangled up over the top rope during the second fall.  MS-1 gnawing away at Rayo was pretty effective too.  The match got better when Rayo hulked up, and the third fall was pretty exciting.  Salazar redeems himself partly with some out-of-control spinning backbreakers in the third fall.  The finish surprised me, so that's a point in this match's favor.  However, the first fall was kind of annoying due to the technicos' efforts, so I don't think this match will finish two high above the mid-point for me.

• 4 months later...

I liked parts of this, but I keep waiting for one of these trios on Disc 6 to really break out of the pack and it hasn't happened yet.

I always like Rayo having his mask ripped with his hair coming out of it. Rayo's comeback was fun and Salazar looked pretty good at times but nothing really sets this apart from the standard trios match. La Fiera looked like he gained a lot of weight since we last saw him and maybe is slowed down a step.