DVDVR Message Board

UFC 210: Cormier vs. Johnson II (4/8/2017) - Buffalo, NY (KeyBank Center)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_210_Cormier_vs._Johnson_2_Poster.jpg

UFC 210: Cormier vs. Johnson II 
April 8, 2017
Buffalo, NY (KeyBank Center)

UFC Light Heavyweight Championship: Daniel Cormier © (205vs. Anthony Johnson (203.8) (second defense) - Cormier, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (3:37)
Chris Weidman (185.8) vs. Gegard Mousasi (185.8) - Mousasi, TKO (doctor stoppage), R2 (3:13)
Cynthia Calvillo (115.6) vs. Pearl Gonzalez (116) - Calvillo, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (3:45)
Thiago Alves (170.6) vs. Patrick Côté (170) - Alves, DEC (unanimous)
Will Brooks (155.4) vs. Charles Oliveira (152.8) - Oliveira, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:30)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Myles Jury (145) vs. Mike De La Torre (146) - Jury, TKO (punches and elbows), R1 (3:30)
Kamaru Usman (170.2) vs. Sean Strickland (170) - Usman, DEC (unanimous)
Charles Rosa (145.2) vs. Shane Burgos (146) - Burgos, TKO (referee stoppage), R3 (1:59)
Patrick Cummins (205.4) vs. Jan Błachowicz (204.2) - Cummins, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Gregor Gillespie (154.8) vs. Andrew Holbrook (156) - Gillespie, KO (punches), R1 (0:21)
Josh Emmett (155.6) vs. Desmond Green (154.2) - Green, DEC (split)
Katlyn Chookagian (134.8) vs. Irene Aldana (135.6) - Chookagian, DEC (split)
Jenel Lausa (124.8) vs. Magomed Bibulatov (126) - Bibulatov, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Gregor Gillespie
Performance of the Night: Charles Oliveira
Fight of the Night: Charles Rosa vs. Shane Burgos

Attendance: 17,110
Gate: $2 million
Buyrate: 300,000

Cancelled Bouts:
None

• Like 1

BTW It feels weird writing second defense beside a man who has been champ for almost two years, but it still feels like I'm getting use to it and should expect to do it more in the future.

We made it to fight week, at least.

• Like 2

Poor Rumble.  DC is a horrible match up for him. 

Cormier's wrestling is just too good and he will probably just smother AJ's striking attempts with takedowns unless Rumble connects with an early bomb to the jawbone.

If this thing goes past the middle of R2, Johnson will probably lose.

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Poor Rumble.  DC is a horrible match up for him. 

Cormier's wrestling is just too good and he will probably just smother AJ's striking attempts with takedowns unless Rumble connects with an early bomb to the jawbone.

If this thing goes past the middle of R2, Johnson will probably lose.

I think the caveats people should take into consideration for the rematch is that 

1. Rumble has had two more years to prepare for someone who knew he would likely fight again and with Neil Melanson who has helped him make strides in training. They're probably not readily apparent because he's still knocking dudes clean out, but he seems way more confident going into fights and stopping takedowns. I would say the Bader fight is a good example.

2. In that two years, we don't know how much wear and tear Cormier has took on. He has had a really tough fight with Gustafsson, an injury, a strange fight with Anderson that he clearly won but didn't look all that impressive for someone fighting that version of Anderson, and another injury since that first fight.

3. Rumble has had a full camp to prepare for DC as opposed to training one month and a week for Jon Jones and then three weeks for Daniel Cormier. That matters a lot.

If any of those things slide in Rumble's favor during the fight, it makes it that much easier to land that blow or two that puts Cormier away.

I think the trepidation folks should have with Rumble moreso than the cardio is the current status of his new camp. It's still mostly the same coaches, and they've won more than they have lost so far. I'm assuming it's a vastly better situation than what would've been had they fought at UFC 206, when Blackzilians was in full implosion. However, if you look at Vicente Luque's last fight (vs. Leon Edwards, who is a quality welterweight FWIW), it very much looked like a man who trained at 2 or 3 different camps as was indicated on the commentary. For all the improvements Luque made, he tooks some steps backwards. He look like the guy from the ATT vs. Blackzilians TUF season who was a good grappler but couldn't put together the rest of it. How much did Rumble control his camp as opposed to his coaches controlling his camp? That's my worry.

• Like 1

Apparently, Cormier missed weight the first time (w/ the towel) and made weight on a reweigh like 90 seconds later at the early weigh-in. Then, Rumble came in at 203.8 with like 20 seconds left to weigh in.

I'll update and add the weights later.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Apparently, Cormier missed weight the first time (w/ the towel) and made weight on a reweigh like 90 seconds later at the early weigh-in. Then, Rumble came in at 203.8 with like 20 seconds left to weigh in.

I'll update and add the weights later.

Never underestimate the value of being able to barf on command.

When I saw the first weigh-in result, I thought, "holy shit, I knew I shouldn't have said anything."

Any word on if either guy had a particularly rough cut? DC missing the first time makes me think he did. AJ walking in at 203 makes me think everything went smoothly.

That is very strange.  Female MMA fighters are probably far more likely than the average woman to get breast implants, based purely on the fact that they have such low body fat.  That is probably something they should have very prominently in the rules.