Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
ChesterCopperpot

WWE Mae Young Classic - Summer 2017

Recommended Posts

I think Japan will have more than two, since Japan has the largest number of women wrestlers that are trained of all foreign countries with ~150 at least semi-active women wrestlers. If it was only 16 wrestlers, two from Japan would make sense so more countries could be represented but no way are they getting up to 32 without more wrestlers from Japan. But I don't think WWE is going to announce any foreigners until they ensure all the visa-related issues are done and the contracts are signed, they wouldn't want to risk any last minute changes that they can control. They probably felt a bit burned by Kota Ibushi not signing so I think they will be more careful this time around in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Jim Ross confirmed that he will be calling the women's tournament

I hope they have someone decent lined up for the colour commentator slot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I think Japan will have more than two, since Japan has the largest number of women wrestlers that are trained of all foreign countries with ~150 at least semi-active women wrestlers. If it was only 16 wrestlers, two from Japan would make sense so more countries could be represented but no way are they getting up to 32 without more wrestlers from Japan. But I don't think WWE is going to announce any foreigners until they ensure all the visa-related issues are done and the contracts are signed, they wouldn't want to risk any last minute changes that they can control. They probably felt a bit burned by Kota Ibushi not signing so I think they will be more careful this time around in general.

The situation with Ibushi & ZSJ was a bit different since it was more a case of wanting one of them to likely be the winner of the whole thing and CW champ. With this we don't know of any title coming into play, and perspective winners have already been signed. Honestly, I can see Japan getting maybe 3 wrestlers in like the CWC but no more than that. Americans will have the the most representation with some of them and probably some Canadians being pushed as representing other countries to stretch out how international it is. I guess we see a decent amount of Europeans since they spoke with quite few back in January I want to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CWC had 9 from the US, 4 from Japan, 2 from Mexico, 2 from England, and 1 from Canada. I guess we'll see similar numbers from the women's tourney.

My guess for JR's partner would be Nigel or Graves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were 4 Americans who they pushed as representing other countries despite being Americans. 2 Canadians got the same treatment. There were 3 from Japan.

I'm hoping for Graves as the other announcer. Honestly, I wish it was him and Philips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could use Dark Angel, since she occasionally did commentary in cmll and might have worked against some of the international wrestlers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I've been watching a lot of stuff lately, and I don't see any women who are in the same league as the top women from Japan(Io, Hojo, Satomura etc). 3 seems like a low number for Japan to me. I guess they have a few names up their sleeve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

You could use Dark Angel, since she occasionally did commentary in cmll and might have worked against some of the international wrestlers.

Was she any good on commentary? And she worked Shimmer and Stardom a decent bit. She should know both Kairi and Io. Her last match before becoming a trainer was actually against Io.

2 minutes ago, JCM said:

 I've been watching a lot of stuff lately, and I don't see any women who are in the same league as the top women from Japan(Io, Hojo, Satomura etc). 3 seems like a low number for Japan to me. I guess they have a few names up their sleeve.

With the International flavor they want while also wanting people who speak good English I just wouldn't expect many Japanese women. I expect Hojo and maybe one or two more. I'm kind of hoping one of them is a vet like Satomura or even Aja.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since she was speaking Spanish, I don't know how good she was on commentary. I thought her last match was at the anniversary show vs princess sugheit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, she worked one last Stardom tour afterward. Final match was against Io for the white belt. Its a really good performance from Stock. I suggest checking it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has Del Ray ever done commentary? I was out of the indie loop when she was making her mark so I'm woefully under-informed on her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Has Del Ray ever done commentary? I was out of the indie loop when she was making her mark so I'm woefully under-informed on her.

I know she called the Main event of SHINE 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think JR's partner in the booth would fall to someone like Lita. 

However, Molly Holly or Medusa would be fantastic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lita is a bit of a mushmouth and doesn't add a whole lot of insight if we're going from her pre-show appearances.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're going to want a woman on the commentary team without question. The only one with experience I can think of that I would classify as good is Veda Scott. There was a report a while ago that she was backstage at a TV taping, so they know who she is at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess Eric Young didn't get the no top rope elbows memo because he just hit one at Takeover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I hope that this is just one of those things that is disproved and we can find other things to complain about how they're mishandling Hojo's push. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

They're going to want a woman on the commentary team without question. The only one with experience I can think of that I would classify as good is Veda Scott. There was a report a while ago that she was backstage at a TV taping, so they know who she is at least.

Portia Perez > Veda Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cleavy said:

Portia Perez > Veda Scott

Strongly disagree. Portia works in Shimmer, but that is so dependent on knowing all her history. That wouldn't work at all in an environment where her hating half the contestants and cheering on her friends has no background.

Veda can do that, but she can also do a professional broadcast journalist role. She did an excellent job calling the Beyond show on mania weekend, and that was with having had teeth kicked out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, I hope that this is just one of those things that is disproved and we can find other things to complain about how they're mishandling Hojo's push. 

They're not going to let her do her signature taunt because it's Cena's will be Dave's next story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Strongly disagree. Portia works in Shimmer, but that is so dependent on knowing all her history. That wouldn't work at all in an environment where her hating half the contestants and cheering on her friends has no background.

Veda can do that, but she can also do a professional broadcast journalist role. She did an excellent job calling the Beyond show on mania weekend, and that was with having had teeth kicked out.

I'm thinking Veda will be in the tournament itself, and go to at least the semi-finals. Any commentary she does will be putting on a headset mid-match to taunt her opponent.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Portia did call one match in PWG on the show she was on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just look at all the gaijin women wrestling in Stardom and I'm sure at least half of them will show up in the tourney. Toni Storm, Havok...god forbid Rebel, but I can see it happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't foresee Toni Storm showing up with how Stardom is currently pushing her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...