DVDVR Message Board

WWE Mae Young Classic - Summer 2017

ChesterCopperpot

2 hours ago, nofuture said:
Real or Io's convenient excuse to show up at the MYC?

From the new WON

Io Shirai, who still doesn’t have her WWE start date, dropped her Artist of Stardom trios title on 6/17 in Yokohama and then her World of Stardom title on 6/21 at Korakuen Hall.

This was originally to be Shirai’s last match, although the public was never told and it may not be, since she’ll stay here until starting with WWE and there is some hold-ups. Shirai was scheduled for a press conference on 6/22, which is likely where she’ll publicly announce she is leaving the company.

Is Alpha Female any good? She looks like a million bucks, but I've never seen any of her work. I'll have to look her up tonight when I get home from work. Anyone have any suggestions for matches of hers to track down?

1 hour ago, caley said:

Nice to see Alpha Female involved. I wonder just how many Stardom alumni this will end up having. I'm annoyed though that it really does seem like the plan is to pad this out with PC talent which is just complete bs.

59 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Is Alpha Female any good? She looks like a million bucks, but I've never seen any of her work. I'll have to look her up tonight when I get home from work. Anyone have any suggestions for matches of hers to track down?

Never seen a great match out of her, but she was generally solid in Stardom. Her title matches Io & Nanae in 2013 are worth checking out.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Nice to see Alpha Female involved. I wonder just how many Stardom alumni this will end up having. I'm annoyed though that it really does seem like the plan is to pad this out with PC talent which is just complete bs.

Never seen a great match out of her, but she was generally solid in Stardom. Her title matches Io & Nanae in 2013 are worth checking out.

She's decent. I would say it would depend on the opponent. 

On 6/22/2017 at 11:14 AM, RIPPA said:

From the new WON

This was originally to be Shirai’s last match, although the public was never told and it may not be, since she’ll stay here until starting with WWE and there is some hold-ups. Shirai was scheduled for a press conference on 6/22, which is likely where she’ll publicly announce she is leaving the company.

That just sounds like a big 'ol "I don't know," I wonder sometimes why Dave comments on something he admittedly doesn't know the details on. I generally trust him more than most but that paragraph really says nothing. May not be? What hold-ups? And that's not what was said at the press conference. You can google translate her statement here.

I still don't think there is much of a chance she'll be in the tournament for those still hoping for that, since its less than three weeks away.

I think it might work out for the best if Shirai isn't in the MYC. It'll give other women a chance to step up and steal the show. Io is going to get over no matter when she debuts, and IMO she's the kind of talent you give a big Takeover debut to.

Okay - they did two qualifiers. Since the WWE themselves haven't announced them yet - I am going to put them in spoilers

Spoiler

- Bianca BelAir defeated Aliyah in a Mae Young Classic qualifying match

Female referee Jessika worked this match. BelAir (previously Bianca Blair) got a huge reaction instantly for smacking Aliyah with her braided hair. BelAir won with a spear.

- Vanessa Bourne defeated Jayme Hachey in a Mae Young Classic qualifying match

Bourne was formerly known as Danielle Kamela and Hachey was Jayme Jameson. This was a quick match that Bourne won to advance to the Mae Young Classic.

I think Conti was part of the girls with Almas when Thea slapped him in the face about 2 weeks ago.  Since they are outright saying she doesn't have a lot of experience, I can't see her going far.  Maybe they put Sonya Deville in and have them work a mat/shoot style match.  I think it would be odd to see WWE throwing out that style of match, let alone with women, but it seems like Sonya has a little more experience and it could play to both's strengths.

Spoiler

I understand why they put Bianca in the tournament  but I don't get how they had to sacrifice Alliyah in order to do it.   I was hoping all the regulars except the top ones like Ember and Asuka would be in the tournament.   Plus she has really gotten better in the last 6 months and in my opinion is much  better than a Liv Morgan or Billie Kay

3 hours ago, hammerva said:
  Hide contents

I understand why they put Bianca in the tournament  but I don't get how they had to sacrifice Alliyah in order to do it.   I was hoping all the regulars except the top ones like Ember and Asuka would be in the tournament.   Plus she has really gotten better in the last 6 months and in my opinion is much  better than a Liv Morgan or Billie Kay

Bianca is already better than Aliyah. Aliyah has improved but I see her getting lost in the pack even more than she already is with all the other women coming in. They should turn her heel since the crowd already hates her for eliminating Rachel Evers in the battle royal

Someone mentioned on twitter that Shayna Baszler was asked if she was in it, she said they had her information but hadn't told her yet. I can see Baszler being tricky to have in it, since she is a known MMA fighter and an imposing figure, so it wouldn't make any sense to have her lose in the first round. But unless they had bigger plans for her, they may not want her to go deep into the tournament either.

I like her a lot and think she fills a more unique role that would help the tournament, just don't know if she is a good fit for it unless they planned on signing her.

If they were doing a proper live special to end this, rather than sticking the final on after a Smackdown taping, I wouldn't have been surprised to see Shayna making the semis (at least) in hopes of getting Ronda Rousey to appear.

As is I could see her getting a couple of wins.