DVDVR Message Board

WWE Mae Young Classic - Summer 2017

ChesterCopperpot

Still find it odd that we are a week away and still only half the wrestlers are announced. I realize since it doesn't air until August they aren't in a big rush since it really only matters this early to the live audience, but since they have announced some I don't know why they won't announce the rest. I would hope they know by now which 32 wrestlers they are using, unless they decided to make it a surprise this time.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:28 PM, RIPPA said:

Elle Bowz

Hiji Takai (elbow high) or Takai Hiji (high elbow).

Just need to decide which word would be her kayfabe surname.

If they have Piper Niven coming down to the ring wearing a kilt, I'm going to be pissed.

Scottish women wear tartan skirts; they do not fucking wear kilts.

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I believe Rippa said earlier in the thread they are doing a bracket show similar to the CWC so maybe we get some surprises there. 

The bracket show is right after Summerslam ends - so if you don't read the spoilers you will be surprised because the tapings are in a week so all 32 will be out then.

So, I'll be honest. I do not know anything about the American women's indie scene other than Hania the Huntress and the red head from ROH. I feel like Joshi is the best representation of women's wrestler so I am more familiar with that. So anyone aside from Kairi Sane that I should look out for?

I feel like the announcement show after SS is a tone-def decision. 90% or more of the people who might watch this show will already long since know who is in it. Also the JR-Lita thing has epic train wreck written all over it. I'd say the ceiling on that is "annoying".

Other than that, this is a great idea by WWE and a great opportunity for a lot of wrestlers.

On 7/7/2017 at 9:18 PM, DreamBroken said:

Really dug the Bianca/Aliyah match. Thought Bianca looked awesome and showed a lot of potential. Fun sort of kickoff to the tournament.

I thought it was a good match too. I worry about Aliyah though. If anyone should have been in this, I thought it would be her. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

Also the JR-Lita thing has epic train wreck written all over it. I'd say the ceiling on that is "annoying".

The saving grace for that is the show is not live so they'll be able to fix any awkwardness in post production.

Doing the announcement show after Summerslam makes total sense because in theory you'll have the biggest audience watching the Network at the time and you need to advertise it.

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I posted this in the other thread but Jordynne Grace being used an extra on Great Balls of Fire makes me feel like she is in the MY

Grace will be in the area since SHINE has her booked for the new NOVA title tournament this weekend.

That means she probably isn't in it as the Shine taping dates are July 14 and July 16

The Mae Young taping dates are July 13 and 14 so I guess someone could work the 13 and lose in the first or 2nd round and then work SHINE but I have a feeling the WWE isn't going to do that

If she was in it she'd just be first round fodder anyway since she is still pretty low on the women's wrestling pecking order. I could see them doing it, judging by their idea to have a 'reveal' a month later they don't seem to take into account that fans are a bit smarter than they give credit for.

There was a decent bit of chatter on Twitter last night about the competitors being asked to wear more conservative attire, along with the predictive responses that it was dampening this tournament's sex appeal and blaming Stephanie for it being more corporate than HHH's vanity projects.  :rolleyes:  I even saw someone questioning whether they would be able to wrestle as well if more of them was covered up.

In other news, it seems Madusa is going to be involved in this in some capacity.