DVDVR Message Board

WWE Mae Young Classic - Summer 2017

ChesterCopperpot

36 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

That was me, in this thread, a few posts above yours ;)

Although to be fair she could've been kayefabing me, as the last time I saw a show in that same exact building, Chris Hero was insisting the NXT rumors we're just that - and then debuted at tapings the next week.

I read it on twitter too, maybe someone was just stealing what you said from this thread ;)

• Like 1

I wonder if they're going to have qualifying matches in other promotions or was that different because WWE's got a relationship only with certain promotions like Progress.  If they were to bring in outside talent it'd be neat to see a women's promotion get involved with this.

If they were going to do any other Qualifying matches - they would need to basically be run this weekend

They acknowledge SHIMMER to some degree but the last SHIMMER show was Mania weekend and their next shows are July 8 and 9

They should have done it with some of the UK folks but it is too late for that

I think they just did it to fill some time and get some of the PC girls noticed

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:01 PM, Eivion said:

I would have been more surprised if she wasn't in. I recall Nikki training with her and crediting her submission finish to her training with Shayna.

I am happy that Shayna is using her MMA skills to make women's wrestling look more shooty and that her new job is keeping her from having her nose broken by Cris Cyborg every six months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

1) Piper Niven is a horrible gimmick name for the obvious monster heel of this thing.

2) They could've at least made her last name Piper and teased a fake connection to Hot Rod since she is actual Scottish and he was kayfabe Scottish.

1 hour ago, JCM said:

Why can't they just leave Hojo's name alone? There have been several men that kept their non WWE names, but to my knowledge no woman has been allowed to keep their full name.

I'd imagine that Stardom owns the name and it's cheaper for WWE just to give her a new name that they can own. 

Plus, what percentage of wwe viewers would know she had a name change? At least when its an American indy worker, theres probably a good number who may have watched or seen them in ROH or a local indy? 

Or in the old days, making Mike Rotundo (who had already been a wwf tag champion) into IRS ? 

8 hours ago, nofuture said:

Looks like they're putting up the 2 qualifier matches up on Youtube.

Well that was...kinda awkward. I might have preferred Aliyah advancing, but I imagine they wanted Belair to get more exposure in the MYC. That spear finish though. No thank you. She should have pinned her with that Air Raid Crash (Belair Raid Crash) face buster deal even though it was kinda botchy. 

21 minutes ago, quackhell said:

Well that was...kinda awkward. I might have preferred Aliyah advancing, but I imagine they wanted Belair to get more exposure in the MYC. That spear finish though. No thank you. She should have pinned her with that Air Raid Crash (Belair Raid Crash) face buster deal even though it was kinda botchy. 

Aaliyah has to be close to getting cut at this stage. She's been there for years and she's still lucky to make TV to be squashed. At least with Bianca there's upside.

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I thought Bianca was impressive there.  The hair whip attack lit the crowd on fire. 

Certainly a lot to like. Good size and athletic ability, not afraid of contact, and she looks very confident in there. Both of the last points are something you see a lot of young female wrestlers struggle with, and even some experienced ones.

• Like 2

That Bianca/Aliyah match was decent. Bianca feels like she is ready for NXT. That said, that also made me feel sorry for Aliyah. She was better by a decent bit and probably should have been given the nod. Her losing this kind of says how WWE sees her. I kind of wonder if she will still be around by the end of the year because right now it feels like they are using this tournament to essentially put over the next roster for NXT's women.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Jazzy Alpha Female is in this? She fought in RIZIN 3 months ago and lost to KING Reina by armbar in the first round. Was hoping she would've stuck around and eventually got the fight with Gabi Garcia they teased at their NYE event.