DVDVR Message Board

WWE Mae Young Classic - Summer 2017

ChesterCopperpot

32 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

If they were doing a proper live special to end this, rather than sticking the final on after a Smackdown taping, I wouldn't have been surprised to see Shayna making the semis (at least) in hopes of getting Ronda Rousey to appear.

As is I could see her getting a couple of wins.

If she was in it, I think she'd have to, so it would more just be if they already decided on the semi results and are now just filling in the rest of the bracket, or if they still haven't finalized who is reaching the end of it.

I still find it odd they haven't decided on 32 wrestlers yet just a few weeks before the tournament, doesn't seem like a great idea if it is true, but if they already have most of it booked and are just looking for 1st Round fodder to fill in the gaps then its not a big deal.

From the same article on WWE.com that has the announce team

WWE Network will also stream an exclusive special entitled, Mae Young Classic: Bracketology immediately following SummerSlam, on Sunday, Aug. 20 at 11 p.m. ET.

So at worst - that is when we will know the full field

Also - here is the updated schedule of when they are releasing episodes

WWE has announced that the first-ever Mae Young Classic women’s tournament will stream exclusively on WWE Network, starting Monday, Aug. 28, with the first four episodes available on demand. Episodes five through eight will be available on demand on Monday, Sept. 4. The final match will stream live from Las Vegas on Tuesday, Sept. 12 at 10 p.m. ET.

I despise their shitty announce team choices. FFS they just got Mauro back, and Graves is right there as well. Some of the decisions being made for this tournament make it feel half-assed. I don't see why they didn't just mimic the CWC which was more or less set up perfectly.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It should be Daniel Bryan and his protégé, Sara Del Ray.

Sara should be in the actual tournament. 

Or fighting Asuka as part of the finale broadcast.

• Like 1

Obviously the budgeting is pretty tighter here than it was for the CWC.  They probably want to make the tournament more cost effective so just like 205 Live, it's a lot cheaper for them to piggyback the show off the Smackdown taping than it is to do their own live taping.

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This company doesn't learn.

It's amazing how they can produce a RAW like tonight where pretty much everything was great (outside of the Balls but it will get them mainstream coverage) and produce NXT,  CWC,  the UK tournament etc..   but then have miserable television for weeks on end, PPVs with illogical booking,  205 Live in front of a dead audience and the MYC which sounds like it could be a train wreck. 

Same company.  How. 

4 hours ago, zev said:

Sara should be in the actual tournament. 

Or fighting Asuka as part of the finale broadcast.

Even if they don't add Sara to the tournament, why not add her to the desk or as a field reporter? I wish WWE would add a correspondent/ringside reporter to "throw down" to, like the way ESPN/NBC/CBS do with their on-field reporters during games.

I don't know why they don't do this. I think it'd be cool during matches, that had longer times, when during a rest, they could throw to an analyst who has a closer perspective.

It would add a nice effect to the broadcast, with a periodical chime-in during a big match or whatever. This is WWE we're talking about though, which is in the entertainment business. So, there goes the sports reporter aspect. 

Oh well. 

Isn't that was Renne/charly/Dasha/Mike Rome are for?  WWE has enough announcers calling matches, they don't need another one at ringside.

Based on the qualifying matches and seeing who has been announced so far, this tournament has trainwreck written all over it. I'm not expecting anyone that isn't signed to make the finals so I hope it's something like Sonya/Hojo/Kimber/Lacey semi-finals. I think they learned from the ZSJ/Ibushi incident from the CWC. At least I would hope they would.

How much of a no-brainer is it to put the finals on a PPV (preferably Summerslam but Takeover at the least)?  Even if they want to push it as a separate brand, it still needs as much exposure as possible to reach all the potential audience members.

Having the finals on a main show is just dumbass in general. That is pretty much going to kill any of the matches dead regardless of where they are placed. The audience will have no clue who any of the people involved are. The current set up is just bad from the announce team, to the binge style release, to the placement of the finals. Its honestly like they are trying to get it to fail.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It's amazing how they can produce a RAW like tonight where pretty much everything was great (outside of the Balls but it will get them mainstream coverage) and produce NXT,  CWC,  the UK tournament etc..   but then have miserable television for weeks on end, PPVs with illogical booking,  205 Live in front of a dead audience and the MYC which sounds like it could be a train wreck. 

Same company.  How. 

Probably because the company is producing RAW, Main Event, Smackdown, 205 Live on a weekly basis and then on top of all that 2x PPVs a month, an NXT taping and on top of all that the occasional NXT Takeover, WWE UK stuff and occasional tournaments. Honestly WWE still doesn't have enough people to handle all of this and make it work on a consistent enough basis. The fact they're able to hit as much as they have is a borderline miracle.

Hojo announced she's in at the Tokyo house show today. Also apparently her new name is Kairi Sein (sp?)

Also an article from The Scottish Sun saying Viper is in, and will be using the name Piper Niven.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/1216551/curvy-scots-wrestling-star-kimberley-benson-moves-up-in-the-world-as-shes-asked-onto-special-wwe-tournament/

Also from that article it sounds like the lineup might be announced today.

On 6/26/2017 at 11:21 AM, Kevin Wilson said:

Someone mentioned on twitter that Shayna Baszler was asked if she was in it, she said they had her information but hadn't told her yet. I can see Baszler being tricky to have in it, since she is a known MMA fighter and an imposing figure, so it wouldn't make any sense to have her lose in the first round. But unless they had bigger plans for her, they may not want her to go deep into the tournament either.

That was me, in this thread, a few posts above yours ;)

Although to be fair she could've been kayefabing me, as the last time I saw a show in that same exact building, Chris Hero was insisting the NXT rumors we're just that - and then debuted at tapings the next week.

• Like 1