DVDVR Message Board

WWE Mae Young Classic - Summer 2017

ChesterCopperpot

4 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Tape 205 BEFORE Smackdown airs. Should have always been the solution.

That was the issue for most of WWECW's existence. 

I think they should just do taping at Full Sail when NXT is not using it. 

It can't be taped before Smackdown because then it wouldn't be 205 LIVE. They'd have to lower the weight limit by 1 pound so they could tape the show early and call it "204 Before"

• Like 6

From Meltzer

The plan for the women’s tournament is to tape everything but the finals on 7/13 and 7/14. Everyone involved will be brought to Orlando for one week, so they can get ready for the tapings. At this point they will not be releasing the shows weekly like the Cruiserweight Classic. Instead, they are doing it Netflix style or their television series style, releasing 16 matches, which is likely 5-6 shows, all on 8/20. The rest of the matches taped, which will be 14 matches, probably another five shows, would be released in September, again as a binge thing to watch. The finals are still set for 9/12, which will air live on the network, likely from the Smackdown tapings that night in Las Vegas. ..

I have this bad feeling if they're going to do the finals during Smackdown tapings they're going out to a dead crowd.  I'm hoping that's not the case, but I wish they'd have kept it in Full Sail.  If anything maybe airing it before Smackdown might help that.

It will probably be 16 matches the first day and 14 the 2nd

And I have a strong suspicion the first round is going to have 10 minute time limits so they could crank that out in basically 2 hours

I just can't see WWE being that stripped down and focused. They love big entrances, random pauses for reasons the crowd doesn't know about, etc. I was kidding about them not letting us leave of course but I think it would be a long experience. Especially if one wrestler has to wrestle three times in one night, they'd have to space it out a bit so their performance doesn't take a dip.

You are thinking in terms of regular WWE

These tapings are much more efficient - there is very little downtime between things and they definitely don't use elaborate entrances

One way around it is do like 4 2nd Round matches on Day 1 and then magically the 4 winners are the ones who end up in the Final Four

21 minutes ago, JCM said:

So they're giving people 3 weeks to watch the entire tourney before the finals air. That's expecting people to watch about 10 shows in 3 weeks which is pushing it imo.

They expect people to watch 7 hours of programming every week (9 if you count NXT and 205Live)

That number is technically 13 on PPV weeks (and that is twice a month)

They are already pushing it

And for those like me who don't binge watch on top of the other WWE content I'm not getting to all this until after the finals.  It's a first world problem, but I wish this was spaced out more so we wouldn't have to do this.  Even starting a tad early and putting out two episodes a week would have worked better.

All of these are experiments for them though

They are going to keep doing various formats do see which one works the best (at least in their mind)

I mean this is their third tournament and it is the third different viewing format they have used

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

That's a lot of damn matches to tape in two days, I'm not sure how they are going to pull that off. Both events start at 6:30 PM, how long do they plan on having us trapped there to film 30 matches.

SHIMMER tapings have around 24 matches both days even more if you include Sparkle matches.

2 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Last year the Dusty Classic was just a few matches on NXT, and no external teams.

They did matches for it on the house shows and broadcasted them. I think we got the semis in L.A.

5 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

SHIMMER tapings have around 24 matches both days even more if you include Sparkle matches.

True, but I am pretty sure they start in the afternoon and split it in the middle with a long intermission. Its certainly do-able, I am just surprised they aren't starting until 6:30 PM.