DVDVR Message Board

WWE Mae Young Classic - Summer 2017

ChesterCopperpot

Not really:

Taynara Melo, Victoria González (may have some indie experience?), Julia Ho, Zhao Xia, & Danielle Kamela are basically completely inexperienced

Bianca Blair & Lacey Evans have at least made it to the NXT traveling squad on occasion, but still don't have many matches

Sarah Logan, Kimber Lee & Mary Kate have significant indie experience.

Not that I could really find anything, but her debut was supposedly 2014.

Also I though Newel & Evie had already reported to the PC? Also as far as PC women go you left out Mandy Rose & Sonya Deville who aren't quite regulars on NXT, but have been doing live shows for at least a year now.

40 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Not that I could really find anything, but her debut was supposedly 2014.

Also I though Newel & Evie had already reported to the PC? Also as far as PC women go you left out Mandy Rose & Sonya Deville who aren't quite regulars on NXT, but have been doing live shows for at least a year now.

Just listed the ones in PWInsider's article. Nixon and Evie might have been left out as everyone has assumed they're in for ages.

3 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Yes, I know, but I figured since he is involved in Texas indies she might have worked a little.

It seems like she didn't wrestle until going to PC.

Story seems to be that when she was done playing volleyball, she expressed interest in wrestling and he got her in touch with WWE folks

Oh and Lacey Evans worked the indies before signing with the WWE (She worked American Premier Wrestling)

The CWC had Ho Ho Lun and Kenneth Johnson - so it's not like all 32 folks were amazing

Plus - technically the entire tournament will be PC folks since the WWE learned from their mistakes and everyone will be under contract before being in the tournament

Obviously nobody was expecting 32 killers, but having 5 complete rookies in 16 first round matches is risky to say the least. There is always going to be skeptics about a women's tournament, and if the first round sucks there are going to be a lot of people who write off the entire tournament. 

I thought from the start that to get to 32 wrestlers, they were going to have to have rookies/inexperienced people as there probably aren't 32 experienced female wrestlers from enough different countries and not under contract with another promotion. I mean you could find a bunch in the US, UK, and Japan but they wouldn't have a tournament with only wrestlers from those three countries. So they are bound to use less experienced people as first round fodder, and attach a country to them they can somehow justify so it still looks global.

I don't think its too big of a deal since they needed wrestlers to lose short-ish matches in the first round anyway. Since it is taped, they can edit out any awkward spots so they don't look like complete rookies. Also since they are already at the PC, they could literally plot the matches out move by move to practice them, so it will be at least watchable. Like how they did with Bayley to make her look good ;)

56 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh and Lacey Evans worked the indies before signing with the WWE (She worked American Premier Wrestling)

The CWC had Ho Ho Lun and Kenneth Johnson - so it's not like all 32 folks were amazing

Plus - technically the entire tournament will be PC folks since the WWE learned from their mistakes and everyone will be under contract before being in the tournament

Do you think everyone will be under contract? I assume the wrestlers they decided to push (and obviously whoever wins) will be under contract, but some of the opening round losing wrestlers I imagined would just be in for the payday. I didn't think WWE was going to suddenly sign 25+ women, that would be crazy.

Yes - I think everyone will be under contract which is why I think they are going to use so many folks they already have at the PC

It honestly is probably cheaper for them to use PC fodder in the first round that signing folks to work for two days.

It won't be 25, or anywhere near really. There's 10 in PWInsider's list, and you can add Nixon, Hojo and Evie for sure. Probably Demi Bennett and Mandy Rose as well. Maybe even some of the lower level NXT girls.

I don't really see any problem getting 32 girls with at least some experience. Let's try a quick list:

Hojo

Nixon Newell

Evie

Kimber Lee

Mandy Rose

Bianca Blair

Sarah Logan

Shanna

Jinny

Viper

Kellyanne

Nicole Matthews

Madison Eagles

Candice LeRae

Mia Yim

Nicole Savoy (think she's working the Shimmer tapings the week before this)

Tessa Blanchard

Rachael Ellering

Kay Lee Ray

Shazza McKenzie

Jordynne Grace

Mercedes Martinez

Sonya Strong

Britt Baker

Shayna Baszler

Kiera Hogan

Aja Perera

Santana Garrett

Thea Trinidad

Asley Vox

Delmi Exo

Tasha Steelz

That's leaving off people like Lufisto, Veda Scott, Leva Bates, Marti Belle, and with only one Japanese girl. I'm sure I've forgotten a few really obvious names as well.

Edit: Looking at the list I see I forgot to put Demi Bennett on it. Samantha Heights is another one. Also Deonna Purazzo.

36 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

It won't be 25, or anywhere near really. There's 10 in PWInsider's list, and you can add Nixon, Hojo and Evie for sure. Probably Demi Bennett and Mandy Rose as well. Maybe even some of the lower level NXT girls.

I don't really see any problem getting 32 girls with at least some experience.

The issue is the number of countries. The CWC had 18 countries represented. If they aren't going to sell this tournament as a 'global' one like the CWC then of course there are 32, since the US and UK alone have that many. But if they want to have 15+ countries it will be a bit more tricky, or they will have to embellish a bit on what country some wrestlers represent.

They will embellish almost for certain. They did so during the CWC. I mentioned earlier that 4-5 Americans and 2-3 Canadians were representing other countries.

On the other hand I think RIPPA is almost certainly wrong about nearly everyone involved having a contract. Unless they plan to start a women's show they realistically wouldn't want that many. It would also go somewhat against them looking and talking to so many people for months now about the tournament. The CWC mistake was just not having contracted the guys they actually wnated to win it in Ibushi & ZSJ. Otherwise it went exactly how they planned with them cherry picking from who made a big splash or impressed them.

The signed 21 guys from the CWC with 2 known offers that were turned down and Sean Maluta who has worked for them a ton and is in that "friend of the WWE category"

That is 3/4 of the tournament - I wouldn't exactly call that cherry picking

I mean I understand your point and yes maybe less than a half a dozen aren't signed but the point is that I thinking the ratio is going to be very similar again

From Meltzer around March in the WON

A number of women set for the tournament are getting contract offers, so the idea seems to be to sign at least the key people they are looking at pushing as the winners up ahead of time so the cruiserweight situation doesn’t repeat itself. Even though it seems kind of weird because women are a key part of NXT, Raw and Smackdown, but the working idea is to come out of the tournament with a one hour weekly show for the network, like 205 Live. The only way I can see that is to drop Main Event on Monday and tape the women’s show before Raw. It’s a different dynamic because for women, the indies aren’t as lucrative and there aren’t the options like for Ibushi where there’s no need to sign a full-time deal, so the odds of one of the top women they want to push turning down a contract offer are a lot lower. I was told that the field is about 90 percent booked right now.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The only way I can see that is to drop Main Event on Monday and tape the women’s show before Raw.

Oh God no.

The way things are looking this tourney is in trouble if Io isn't in along with about 3 or 4 other top notch Japanese women.

I hope that is just an "idea" and not what they actually do, I don't think having a separate women's show wouldn't be a good idea. It didn't work with 205 Live, but imagine if they had to spread the women over four different rosters. Besides the general oddness (would NXT or the women's show be the feeder to RAW/SD? Or both? Would it have its own title?), since the best women will likely be called up I just don't see fans generally being interested in a WWE-version of a weekly women's show with the 3rd or 4th best women's roster within their own promotion. Plus it would give the writers another show to have to book when they already struggle with storylines as it is.

Just now, Norwegian Rudo said:

I've said it before, the only way a women's show makes sense logically and logistically, s to split NXT into separate men's and women's shows. Taping alongside a main roster show is a recipe for disaster. 

Yea but that would piss off some fans to no end, imagine the reaction if they made NXT "men only". So there is no way they'd do that.

I hope they don't make the 205 live mistake again. If they add Hojo, Io, and one or two more really good talents to NXT's current women's roster they could have another golden age for that division. I wouldn't mind NXT expanding to 90 minute episodes to get more people on tv, but I don't think a jump to two hours is a good idea.

If they want to do another specialty show they need to figure out a better way than the 205live method. I'd like them take the live off of 205 and tape that and the women's show together in small venues, do one or two tapings a month in smaller places that the bigger indies run.  

• Like 2