DVDVR Message Board

WWE Mae Young Classic - Summer 2017

ChesterCopperpot

I agree about Hojo not needing to do the diving elbow every match. Saving it for top level competition puts her opponents over as well. I could see the sliding elbow or the tree of woe double stomp ending some matches. She has an awesome top rope cross body to the floor that would probably look good as an in ring move.

19 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I don't recall her diving to the outside much. The last tome I can remember her doing so was the Ambrose elbow drop to Viper.

She hit one against Jungle from Stardom of Champions 2017 show.

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

As mentioned before - they had Renee Young doing NXT for a bit before changing their minds and deciding to do the Desk Anchor thing with her

Or are you not counting NXT as WWE?

a) I forgot about it 
b) I didn't see it mentioned
c) you later

• Like 2

The put tickets on-sale after the NXT Tapings for the people in the building and someone noted

Seating for the Mae Young Classic will be set up like a regular NXT show. It is NOT the same layout as the Cruiserweight Classic.

4 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Guess we've got the first entry as today's Observer says Viper is in.

Hopefully her first round opponent will be someone that bumps big and dies on cue.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer also reiterated that Io won't be in the tournament (at least for now) because she is finishing up Japan dates

That kind of works out for the best. That way you can introduce a bunch of fresh talent (Nixon, Hojo, Evie etc.) over the summer, and give Io a big build up for later in the year. Maybe debut her Summerslam weekend?

I wonder if they would debut Io at Takeover Brooklyn if she isn't in the MYC? It's a pretty big blow to the tourney if she's not in it. It would be like taking Ibushi out of the CWC.

It won't happen and I get why, but I'd be down with the winner of the MYC facing Shirai at Takeover.  Whoever wins faces Asuka for the title next.  You can either have Shirai win and do the match or have the opponent win via fuckery by Asuka to extend the chase.  Either way would work for me.

The one good thing about Io not being in the tournament is that it gives the opportunity for someone else to get the spotlight and adds a bit of unpredictability.  Io's good enough to get over on her own without the tournament.

1 hour ago, JCM said:

I wonder if they would debut Io at Takeover Brooklyn if she isn't in the MYC? It's a pretty big blow to the tourney if she's not in it. It would be like taking Ibushi out of the CWC.

Io doesn't need the CWC to make a big splash, and I have some trouble seeing her get as much out of people as Ibushi did. It will also make the tournament far less predictable. I actually think its a good thing she won't be in.

Hojo is the opponent I want to see Asuka work the most as I want them to let Asuka show her more heelish vicious side. I think it's a perfect match up for both of them to get their characters across. I'm excited abut the prospect of another NXT women's division golden age. They've signed a lot of great talent in the last 6 months. The MYC is what I'm looking forward to the most this year in WWE as the CWC was the best thing WWE did in 2016.

• Like 1

If Asuka is still around by the time Io comes in then they are in trouble. Also it would be kind of weird for them to not play up the angle of Asuka and Io being good friends if they were there at the same time.

I'm glad that Io probably isn't in it as I don't think she needs it. I mean we still don't know the other 30 people so its too soon to say if the field has high end wrestlers or not, but Io will be a star either way. I am not sure if Kairi is going to win either so it will make the tournament a bit more unpredictable as I am sure if Io was in the tournament that she was winning it.

It will only be somewhat obvious if we know who is signed beforehand to a long term deal. They won't have someone win it that isn't sticking around. But as long as that all doesn't leak out it should be a pleasant surprise.