DVDVR Message Board

WWE Mae Young Classic - Summer 2017

ChesterCopperpot

NXT tickets haven't been going that fast. In fact, there are still tickets on sale for the June tapings. However, since this is a special tourney, They will probably sell out pretty fast. Plus I'm not sure if they are selling them after NXT tomorrow or not.

Per WON

An interesting name who was asked to be in the women’s tournament is Viper. The reason it’s interesting is because she was on the World of Sport tapings and WWE up to the point hasn’t had interest in signing those any of those wrestlers because of their existing ITV contracts. Not sure if Viper’s situation was different or they’re going with the idea they can’t be held to those contracts since ITV has nothing going on, or if this is a sign that the project is dead. Those close to the situation say the ITV thing is still alive and ITV is considering several options to work with, with Impact being one of the options, but nothing is going to happen any time soon

Jim Ross confirmed he will be the lead announcer for the women’s tournament shows. Rumor has it that the team will be Ross and Lita

Jesus, are we talking about the same Viper that mashed Alexis Rose into the ring a few months ago?  She will be the monster heel of this tournament, then.

I have heard Viper described as, "What you would get if Adelle went on the Broadus Clay diet," but at least she knows her gimmick and works accordingly.

14 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Jesus, are we talking about the same Viper that mashed Alexis Rose into the ring a few months ago?  She will be the monster heel of this tournament, then.

I have heard Viper described as, "What you would get if Adelle went on the Broadus Clay diet," but at least she knows her gimmick and works accordingly.

I have no problem with a big heel in women's wrestling, it's a classic that still works. When it comes to Viper, she just works so fucking slow.

If they are taking ICW talents for this tournament, Kay Lee Ray is needed.

Also, the proposed announce team of Jim Ross and Lita sounds like the most horrific announce duo I have ever heard of, and I watched the end of Stampede with Bulldog Bob Brown and the guy who was clearly worse than Ed Whalen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Viper is solid at what she does. If she was in the tournament, I could see her crushing someone in the first round and then losing in the second round to someone they wanted to push further.

Yeah, Viper's first round opponent would have to be someone that is cool with being smashed to pieces for the sake of the tournament.

2 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

I have no problem with a big heel in women's wrestling, it's a classic that still works. When it comes to Viper, she just works so fucking slow.

I think that's just a monster heel being deliberate and methodical.

Her pace is perfectly fine in this match and the set-up and finish spots are acceptably brutal.

It helps that Little Miss Roxxy sells the take it home spots like absolute death. 

You can almost see her soul exit her body during the pinfall.

Out of curiosity, is there a female lead play-by-play announcer in pro wrestling?  

JR is great, though I think a lead female voice would make this incredibly unique. 

I seriously cannot remember even the last part-time female commentator in WWE or WCW.  Mike McGuirk did a few MSG shows when she first came in waaaay back in the day, but past that, no idea.  (And she was terrible, but the stories she told were great - for the longest time, I had no idea she was Leroy McGuirk's daughter.)

Lita's basically just going to do little tidbits on color anyway while Ross takes 99% of the audio with PBP, so it shouldn't be a big deal for Lita to do it.

Figured Viper would be in. She was one of the ones brought into whatever camp they did during the UK tour from earlier in the year. She had good title matches against Io & Kairi last year and another against Toni Storm earlier this year. I hope she does well if she is in.

Why are they screwing up the commentary for this so bad? I don't think JR was a good choice in the first place, but to then add Lita is just moronic. They should have used Renee, Regal, &/or Graves. Or maybe use one of the indy women who commentate and likely know who most of the wrestlers involved are.

• Like 1

Lita can have the Percy Watson role of saying one line per match in a 3 person booth. I like what I've seen from Viper in Stardom, and a tourney like this needs some unique talent.

8 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Out of curiosity, is there a female lead play-by-play announcer in pro wrestling?  

JR is great, though I think a lead female voice would make this incredibly unique. 

Here is the job for which I would hire Veda Scott.

13 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I seriously cannot remember even the last part-time female commentator in WWE or WCW.  Mike McGuirk did a few MSG shows when she first came in waaaay back in the day, but past that, no idea.  (And she was terrible, but the stories she told were great - for the longest time, I had no idea she was Leroy McGuirk's daughter.)

As mentioned before - they had Renee Young doing NXT for a bit before changing their minds and deciding to do the Desk Anchor thing with her

Or are you not counting NXT as WWE?

Veda has been totally passable when she's done commentary in ROH and she was usually in character while doing that.  She'd be a fine choice.  Doesn't Steve Corino work in NXT now?  He should try and get Allison Danger a position in the booth as I recall her being good on commentary in a few different promotions.

43 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Veda has been totally passable when she's done commentary in ROH and she was usually in character while doing that.  She'd be a fine choice.  Doesn't Steve Corino work in NXT now?  He should try and get Allison Danger a position in the booth as I recall her being good on commentary in a few different promotions.

Danger is awful. Veda is a much better choice.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

And what other people said on earlier pages.   If the WWE book does not allow Kairi Hojo to use her flying elbow finisher, I will be pissed.

Seeing that both Eric Young and Patrick Clark did top rope elbows recently, I doubt it's true.

32 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Seeing that both Eric Young and Patrick Clark did top rope elbows recently, I doubt it's true.

I am also inclined not to believe it since it is her huge elbow spot that probably put her on someone's radar in the WWE.

Why would you bring her here and not capitalize on that?

If it were me, I'd would not want her to use it regularly out of concern for her health and to protect my investment. 

Her schedule will be a lot heavier in the States and she can't constantly take that hip bump without eventually paying the physical toll for it

She has that nasty sliding forearm smash and the bridging cross-legged Boston Crab she can use for regular matches and she can break out the mega-elbow for big event finishes.

21 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I am also inclined not to believe it since it is her huge elbow spot that probably put her on someone's radar in the WWE.

Actually supposedly it was Simon Inoki who talked to Nakamura who put her on their radar.

21 minutes ago, J.T. said:

If it were me, I'd want her not to use it regularly out of fear for her health and to protect my investment. 

Her schedule will be a lot heavier in the States and she can't constantly take that hip bump without eventually paying the physical toll for it

She has that nasty sliding forearm smash and the bridging cross-legged Boston Crab she can use for regular matches and she can break out the mega-elbow for big event finishes.

This is actually what I suspect was likely asked of her. Less her not using it so much as focusing on a finisher that put less stress on her body.

No idea how the Sliding D stopped being a big move for her. There was even training footage with Masato Tanaka teaching her how to make it more powerful before she won the tag belts with Nanae in 2014. That bridging Boston Crab isn't reliable  Not sure if its a height issue or something else, but she has always had trouble fully applying it.