DVDVR Message Board

WWE Mae Young Classic - Summer 2017

ChesterCopperpot

I think Japan will have more than two, since Japan has the largest number of women wrestlers that are trained of all foreign countries with ~150 at least semi-active women wrestlers. If it was only 16 wrestlers, two from Japan would make sense so more countries could be represented but no way are they getting up to 32 without more wrestlers from Japan. But I don't think WWE is going to announce any foreigners until they ensure all the visa-related issues are done and the contracts are signed, they wouldn't want to risk any last minute changes that they can control. They probably felt a bit burned by Kota Ibushi not signing so I think they will be more careful this time around in general.

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I think Japan will have more than two, since Japan has the largest number of women wrestlers that are trained of all foreign countries with ~150 at least semi-active women wrestlers. If it was only 16 wrestlers, two from Japan would make sense so more countries could be represented but no way are they getting up to 32 without more wrestlers from Japan. But I don't think WWE is going to announce any foreigners until they ensure all the visa-related issues are done and the contracts are signed, they wouldn't want to risk any last minute changes that they can control. They probably felt a bit burned by Kota Ibushi not signing so I think they will be more careful this time around in general.

The situation with Ibushi & ZSJ was a bit different since it was more a case of wanting one of them to likely be the winner of the whole thing and CW champ. With this we don't know of any title coming into play, and perspective winners have already been signed. Honestly, I can see Japan getting maybe 3 wrestlers in like the CWC but no more than that. Americans will have the the most representation with some of them and probably some Canadians being pushed as representing other countries to stretch out how international it is. I guess we see a decent amount of Europeans since they spoke with quite few back in January I want to say.

The CWC had 9 from the US, 4 from Japan, 2 from Mexico, 2 from England, and 1 from Canada. I guess we'll see similar numbers from the women's tourney.

My guess for JR's partner would be Nigel or Graves.

There were 4 Americans who they pushed as representing other countries despite being Americans. 2 Canadians got the same treatment. There were 3 from Japan.

I'm hoping for Graves as the other announcer. Honestly, I wish it was him and Philips.

I've been watching a lot of stuff lately, and I don't see any women who are in the same league as the top women from Japan(Io, Hojo, Satomura etc). 3 seems like a low number for Japan to me. I guess they have a few names up their sleeve.

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

You could use Dark Angel, since she occasionally did commentary in cmll and might have worked against some of the international wrestlers.

Was she any good on commentary? And she worked Shimmer and Stardom a decent bit. She should know both Kairi and Io. Her last match before becoming a trainer was actually against Io.

2 minutes ago, JCM said:

I've been watching a lot of stuff lately, and I don't see any women who are in the same league as the top women from Japan(Io, Hojo, Satomura etc). 3 seems like a low number for Japan to me. I guess they have a few names up their sleeve.

With the International flavor they want while also wanting people who speak good English I just wouldn't expect many Japanese women. I expect Hojo and maybe one or two more. I'm kind of hoping one of them is a vet like Satomura or even Aja.

They're going to want a woman on the commentary team without question. The only one with experience I can think of that I would classify as good is Veda Scott. There was a report a while ago that she was backstage at a TV taping, so they know who she is at least.

9 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

They're going to want a woman on the commentary team without question. The only one with experience I can think of that I would classify as good is Veda Scott. There was a report a while ago that she was backstage at a TV taping, so they know who she is at least.

Portia Perez > Veda Scott

6 hours ago, Cleavy said:

Portia Perez > Veda Scott

Strongly disagree. Portia works in Shimmer, but that is so dependent on knowing all her history. That wouldn't work at all in an environment where her hating half the contestants and cheering on her friends has no background.

Veda can do that, but she can also do a professional broadcast journalist role. She did an excellent job calling the Beyond show on mania weekend, and that was with having had teeth kicked out.

16 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, I hope that this is just one of those things that is disproved and we can find other things to complain about how they're mishandling Hojo's push. 

They're not going to let her do her signature taunt because it's Cena's will be Dave's next story.

12 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Strongly disagree. Portia works in Shimmer, but that is so dependent on knowing all her history. That wouldn't work at all in an environment where her hating half the contestants and cheering on her friends has no background.

Veda can do that, but she can also do a professional broadcast journalist role. She did an excellent job calling the Beyond show on mania weekend, and that was with having had teeth kicked out.

I'm thinking Veda will be in the tournament itself, and go to at least the semi-finals. Any commentary she does will be putting on a headset mid-match to taunt her opponent.