DVDVR Message Board

WWE Mae Young Classic - Summer 2017

ChesterCopperpot

The indies ain't going anywhere. WWE is buying up a shitload of talent but for every Cedric Alexander or Drew Gulak they sign,  a Matt Riddle or Keith Lee emerges and then people are released or ask out of their contract (like Cody and others, the Hardy Boyz for years)) and they are fed back into the loop. 

About Mexico and Japan:  Will the people accept a WWE promotion?   I would think a longtime fan of New Japan or CMLL would rather watch and support their promotion. This has nothing to do with anything but I always laugh when I see the video game hardware charts and in Japan PlayStation will sell thousands of units a month and Xbox is sitting way down on the list with a grand total of like 134 or some shit.  Maybe that has nothing to do with wrestling I just can't imagine them not watching NJPW.

18 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Meltzer mentioned a little while back that WWE has made it known that they won't give a look to women who do hardcore matches or wrestle men.  As always, that could change and probably will.

Not sure if this was ever true, but even if it was they backed away from it quickly. As someone mentioned, they signed Kimber Lee who had one of the more infamous intergender matches of the past few years, and most of their other signees also frequently wrestle men.

Haven't heard anything aboout WWE offering Mayu, but they're after Toni Storm who is basically #4 in Stardom at the moment.

Doesn't WWE do very well in ratings on Mexican TV? Like twice or more the viewers of CMLL and AAA? Or was that only when they had Mysterio? 

Japan will be harder to crack but they could do it over time. 

Not sure if I missed it in the thread, but LuFisto just mentioned on Twitter that she's had no contact from the WWE to be involved in this tournament. Unfortunate, but the "no hardcore" and "no wrestling men" rule would definitely DQ her...but then again, that would DQ pretty much any woman on the Western Canadian indie scene, as Nicole Matthews is the reigning ECCW Champion and rarely fights women outside of her Shimmer dates. Bummer.

I just learned that Chelsea Green (Laurel Van Ness in TNA) is dating Zack Ryder; maybe they sign her just to send  her to the show he isn't on? Team her with Emma for shits and giggles?

20 hours ago, Beech27 said:

We're a long, long way out, but I wonder if the women's show will be separated from the Raw/Smackdown divisions, and if not, will the women become brand-exclusive? (Presumably, the cruisers would head to Smackdown full-time, to line the tapings up, if that were to occur.)

Regardless, I'm excited for this. A little horrified to see how Sasha someday decides to bump on Shirai's germans, and perpetually anxious about cheering on the expansion of an already dominant business, but... (And as stated, women do have less lucrative options. I'll be worried when WWE announces a Mexico and/or Japan tournament/show.)

Surely this has to be an NXT thing and not a main roster thing? Unless they're planning a mass promotion, Raw and Smackdown has something like 6 women each, and the logistics of the taping schedule would be very tricky. Either the Raw women would need to stay on the road an extra day or the Smackdown women would miss the monday houseshow, and there are problems with international TV deals which might mean 5+ hour tapings.

In NXT on the other hand they're going to have a huge bounty of talent soon:

Asuka
Ember Moon
Peyton Royce
Billie Kay
Aliyah
Liv Morgan
Nikki Cross
Kimber Lee
Heidi Lovelace
Mandy Rose
Daria Berenato
Bianca Blair
Macey Estrella
Sarah Bridges
Danielle Kamela
Andrea (Rosie Lottalove)
Taynara Melo
Victoria Gonzalez
Zhao Xia
Julie Ho

+ these are reporting to Orlando soon
Evie
Kairi Hojo
Nixon Newell
Demi Bennett
Isabel Lahela

From the Observer this week it sounded like they were planning on signing a significant number of tournament contestants as well. Just for arguments sake let's add:

Io Shirai

Mia Yim

Rachael Ellering

Toni Storm

Deonna Purazzo

Kay Lee Ray

Shanna

Tessa Blanchard

I make that 8 who are currently on TV semi-regularly, 15 or so who should pretty much be ready to go, and another 5+ that aren't too far away. That's far too many for a one hour show where they'd at most get two matches. Add to that that the tapings would be far easier than for the main roster (tapings every other week, or two days of taping once a month?), it just makes far more sense.

49 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Please don't even tease that. Green was so terrible in Stardom last year.

Are you sure you're not confusing her with Chelsea Diamond? Chelsea Green was supposed to do a tour, but did like 1 show before she travelled to India to do a show for Khali where she broke her collarbone. Green is a Lance Storm trainee and is fairly decent. Good mouthy heel and not bad in the ring for her experience level. She is also Laurel Van Ness in Impact Wrestling.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Are you sure you're not confusing her with Chelsea Diamond? Chelsea Green was supposed to do a tour, but did like 1 show before she travelled to India to do a show for Khali where she broke her collarbone. Green is a Lance Storm trainee and is fairly decent. Good mouthy heel and not bad in the ring for her experience level. She is also Laurel Van Ness in Impact Wrestling.

Diamond had one of the best matches in Hojo's current White belt reign. On the average she isn't particularly good, but she managed. Green worked the tag tournament with Santana (who also sucked) and managed to have Hojo's worst match in her title reign. I don't have them mixed up. Its likely a style and adaption problem if she is normally decent. Santana & Blanchard have the same problem.

They didn't sign Chelsea Green after Tough Enough, so I'd be a little surprised if they signed her now.

If they plan to have the tournament participants signed to contracts, that may lead to us seeing more NXT/Performance Center talent than in the CWC.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Diamond had one of the best matches in Hojo's current White belt reign. On the average she isn't particularly good, but she managed. Green worked the tag tournament with Santana (who also sucked) and managed to have Hojo's worst match in her title reign. I don't have them mixed up. Its likely a style and adaption problem if she is normally decent. Santana & Blanchard have the same problem.

You definitely have a higher opinion of Chelsea Diamond then I do. Her selling and such is OK, but her offense is just so terrible. Chelsea Green is better at character stuff than in-ring, but I'd still rate her far higher than CD.

Alternating yearly tournaments with the cruiserweights would be okay but I really don't see the need for a separate show for just the women.  What are they going to do with them that they can't already do with them on the other three shows they're featured on?  Feud over Alicia Fox?  How does Nikki Cross pronounce "fox"?  That's the determining factor in how viable WWE YakDown Live (to tape) would be for me.

34 minutes ago, BEN! said:

Alternating yearly tournaments with the cruiserweights would be okay but I really don't see the need for a separate show for just the women.  What are they going to do with them that they can't already do with them on the other three shows they're featured on?  Feud over Alicia Fox?  How does Nikki Cross pronounce "fox"?  That's the determining factor in how viable WWE YakDown Live (to tape) would be for me.

29fa343714a5adf7a652f466a2c4307adc562424

• Like 6

On 08/04/2017 at 7:46 AM, BEN! said:

Is Stevie Ray doing the commentary/hosting?

36 minutes ago, Cleavy said:

Is Stevie Ray doing the commentary/hosting?

Doubtful, but I'd like to think that if someone gets some, Stevie Ray Vaughn for theme music, that person will get a babyface pop before hitting the ring.

Following up on a few things

- Yes, Green was signed by TNA after Tough Enough. She was brought in after that one girl quit and immediately became the favorite because she had by far the most wrestling experience and was head and shoulders past the other women (not that was a high bar). But of course she didn't even make the finals.

- I wondered if Emma and Zack had broken up since they stopped appearing in each other's social media but between the injuries to both and being on opposite shows probably did no one any favors

- Rachel Ellering tweeted that she is looking for July and August bookings so she at least isn't signed by anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

From PWInsider:

During yesterday's conference call to discuss the first quarter earnings of 2017, WWE's Michelle Wilson noted that the current plans for the announced WWE Network women's tournament, a 32 competitor event, would take place in the third quarter of the year.

PWInsider.com has confirmed that the plan is to begin filming episodes of the tournament in July, likely at Full Sail University in Florida (although the idea of filming it elsewhere has not been ruled out), with the series being added to the Network via VOD. The current plan is to not release the episodes as a weekly episodic series but to release sets of episodes at once.

The tournament would be similar to the Cruiserweight Classic with a big focus being on different international competitors. We are told there are talents already going through the traditional background checks that take place before WWE offers deals as well.

The current plan is to hold the finals of the tournament as a live WWE Network special on Tuesday 8/29. With the live special, the current plan is for 8-10 "episodes" total.