DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Third post in a row: 

My buddy just texted me that he's watching This Filthy World, the standup/lecture by John Waters from 2006. I looked it up on Wiki to make sure I'd seen it (I have) and it said that it was not only directed by Jeff Garlin, but co-edited by someone named, get this... Rob Naylor?! Is this the one and only? That's a pretty distinctive name. 

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dredd is finally on rotation on SyFy and I've been able to watch it again. That is one hell of a movie and you know what? If they never make a sequel, at least we got THAT.

It was on rotation on Spike for a bit.

I'm kinda bummed that it is on regular cable because we don't get the full impact of the badass closing credits.

Those shits were amazing in the theater.  God bless Dolby Digital.

• Like 1

Heads up for Tramps hitting Netflix tomorrow.  This is from the director of Gimme The Loot.  Saw it last September at TIFF, it's very good.

There was a recent IndieWire article about how Netflix is buying the rights to some quality movies, such as this one, and just dumping them onto their service and not giving them the promotion they deserve.  I feel like they have a good point (although the article also had a chunk about "movies should be seen in a theater!!" which I don't necessarily agree with).  For whatever reason, people seem to mainly use Netflix for tv shows.  Someone in the comments section of that article made the point that if Get Out had been picked up by Netflix, it probably doesn't make anywhere near as much of a cultural splash.  Consider also that any movie that Netflix buys the rights to, is pretty much not getting released in any physical format.

Anyway... trailer for Tramps:

7 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

There was a recent IndieWire article about how Netflix is buying the rights to some quality movies, such as this one, and just dumping them onto their service and not giving them the promotion they deserve.  I feel like they have a good point (although the article also had a chunk about "movies should be seen in a theater!!" which I don't necessarily agree with).  For whatever reason, people seem to mainly use Netflix for tv shows.  Someone in the comments section of that article made the point that if Get Out had been picked up by Netflix, it probably doesn't make anywhere near as much of a cultural splash.  Consider also that any movie that Netflix buys the rights to, is pretty much not getting released in any physical format.

I think I'd agree with that. Many smaller movies get noticed through the word of mouth that a theatre run gives them. You may not go see it in the theatre, but you've likely heard of it from others or from movie reviewers*, and then will be likely to see it when it becomes available on your TV. If it's just released to Netflix, then it's less likely to get seen. I like Netflix, but I'm less likely to click on a Netflix branded movie when I'm scrolling through if I've never even heard of it.

* Do movie reviewers even review Netflix only films? I'm guessing the majority don't.

Yeah, it's kinda weird, but I don't think I've ever heard of a Netflix movie generating buzz similar to whatever hot Netflix show you can think of.

Speaking of which, I watched THE DISCOVERY on Netflix a couple weeks back and it really didn't do a whole lot for me.  Jason Segel commits the cardinal sin of a comedic actor playing a dramatic role and delivers a somber, narcoleptic performance in the lead role, completely drained of any wit so you know he's doing some Serious Acting.

He's bigger than he was circa SEX TAPE (and, really, who wouldn't try to lose crazy weight if they knew they were going to be half-dressed onscreen with Cameron Diaz?), but definitely not FSM weight.

23 hours ago, EVA said:

Yeah, it's kinda weird, but I don't think I've ever heard of a Netflix movie generating buzz similar to whatever hot Netflix show you can think of.

Outside of that one movie with the child soldiers of Africa I think you're right

So for some reason, I'd never gotten around to watching The Talented Mr Ripley before now. And it's one of those things where, in the context of now, and what Matt Damon and Jude Law have done since, it doesn't work the way it probably originally did. Because Matt Damon is Jason Bourne, he's a badass tough guy, he's resourceful and ruthless. And Jude Law, he's the guy who didn't manage to become a proper A-List movie star and the tabloids hate him because he cheated on his girlfriends. But here Damon's playing the Beta male to Law's alpha, who's all geekily in awe of his charisma and self-possession. And it looks a little off now. I mean, it's still a decent movie, and the performances are good in it, although the plot twists and deceptions seem a little too convenient at times.

Also, the story suffers greatly from no likeable character syndrome. When you're telling the story of a bunch of idle rich overindulged dickheads, and a manipulative sociopath who will stop at nothing to join their lifestyle, you aren't really rooting for any of them. At one point, Dickie Greenleaf even tells Ripley off for being too much of a leech and not paying his own way, even though Greenleaf himself is living off his father's money and is refusing to do any actual work or make an actual money himself. So it is one of those plague on all your houses deals. Phillip Seymour Hoffman's good in it. His character is horrible,but he plays him well.

• Like 1

I watched Ms. Sloane over the weekend and it was hot garbage. There's a cute twist at the end but everything up to that is just shitty.  My biggest problem was the dialogue.  I found myself literally facepalming and getting angry at the dialogue several times during the course of the film.  Every word was the exact opposite of "show, don't tell" with every character laying out exposition about the plot, the characters' attributes, backgrounds, etc.  There's a scene where one character says something cynical and another character saying something lie, "that's the cynicism you people are known for."    Like holy fucking fuck.  It is a script that has zero faith in its audience and underlines everything, its dialogue acting as obvious signposts to call attention to every single thing you, the viewer, need to know.

That's only one part of my issue with the dialogue.  The other part is that nobody in real life talks like the people in this movie talk. Everyone was quick with a witty retort full of the most verbose bullshit you ever heard.  Every character talked like they were the result of Aaron Sorkin fucking a thesaurus.  Every statement and comeback was a speech instead of a conversation.  The person who wrote this movie seriously should never work in Hollywood again.  Conversely, I just read that this script   "was ranked in the top five of Hollywood's 2015 Black List, an annual tally of the industry's favorite scripts of the year," which tells me  how out of touch and in love with its own bullshit Hollywood is.

Finally, I'm just sort of tired of Jessica Chastain.  If I never see her or the Mara sisters in anything else ever again, it'll be too soon.  Thanks for reading.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yow, The Circle is getting hammered on RT and Sleight is only 63% Fresh.  Damn.

James Ponsoldt directing The Circle is a surprise to me. That's going to be one to skip over in the filmography.

However, I won't be surprised to learn that STX Entertainment is basically Franchise Pictures but as a distributor. We are this close to them doing a Battlefield Earth.

• RIPPA locked this topic
  • RIPPA unpinned this topic