DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

34 minutes ago, Roman said:

Did you watch The Last Heist? It's an absolutely awful movie. Just awful. Pure, unadulterated garbage... but Henry Rollins in it, which makes it fun because his inability to act fits his character so well. It's actually worth a watch if you're a Rollins fan. Just remember to turn your brain off beforehand.

I have not, but you bet your ass I just added it to my Netflix list.

Two movies with one word titles, and cars in them:

Rush stars Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl and is a sort of double biopic centered around the 1976 Formula One series, and how James Hunt and Niki Lauda both really wanted to win. It's really good - obviously it's helped by the fact that what actually happened at the time played out like Hollywood had scripted it. But both leading men do a bloody good job with it. Obviously it oversimplifies things, ignores the fact that they were originally great friends before the professional rivalry started to become personal and makes it look like there were only three real drivers in the sport at the time. But it's really good. It's a shame for Hemsworth... because all of the films that were supposed to play into his rise got shelved, and then Thor came out of nowhere with "That guy who was Kirk's Dad in Star Trek for five minutes four years ago" in the lead, no-one got to see his range. And then James Hunt is a skinnier version of a Thor-type character, but with less of the learning what it is to make a sacrifice and more of the glorying in the glorious victory (or failure). So he never gets to show his range as much as he should, because he's just the Thor guy from Thor, who plays guys like Thor all the time.

Meanwhile, Locke is a film in which Tom Hardy leaves work, gets in his car, syncs his bluetooth up and goes for a long drive whilst making and receiving a series of phone calls. And nothing else. That's literally everything that happens in the movie. Every other cast member is a voice actor only. It's really good - it has to rest on Hardy's charisma, but that's OK because he has lots of it. And the actual story that unfolds around him is intriguing and does drag you in. But it could totally work as a radio play as well.

I rewatched Moneyball this past week and I think this scene is Brad Pitt's best acting of his entire career. The part where he covers his mouth and says "They're laughing at him" is just so good.  He looks so sad, upset and full of empathy.  I know there's all kinds of factual problems with the film, with the book it's based on etc. etc.  But there is so much good acting in there, between Pitt's performance, Jonah Hill, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Chris Pratt.  I love this movie.

• Like 1

On 2017-04-11 at 0:53 PM, Curt McGirt said:

He Never Died was shockingly great. If that one slipped under anyone's radar they need to go back and find it. I've never been one for Rollins as an actor but that's a role he was born to play. 

I haven't seen the Charlie Sheen movie THE CHASE since I was, like, 13 (?), but I remember Hank as a cop being incredibly entertaining. He's a very limited actor, but he can be used well, I think.

• Like 1

In addition to Rollins being great, and him and Josh Mostel playing great off each other, it has that great random appearance of Anthony Kiedis and Flea eating up every scene they're in, including a great little scene in the credits.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Raziel403 said:

In addition to Rollins being great, and him and Josh Mostel playing great off each other, it has that great random appearance of Anthony Kiedis and Flea eating up every scene they're in, including a great little scene in the credits.

Bingo

I also had way too big of a crush on Kristy Swanson too

For those that have no idea what we are talking about

• Like 1

I know you guys are talking about Rollins' acting work in movies, but I feel compelled to bring up his role in season 2 of Sons of Anarchy as a white supremacist. Great acting work from him there too.

• Like 1

I watched Internal Affairs (1990) over the weekend and, while it's an average film at best, it really hit me hard how different times were and how much things have changed.  I mean it was like young me in the early 80s watching something from the 50s where men slap broads who get out of line with impunity.  Women in the film had no agency whatsoever, existing only to be fucked by men, to be the objects of conversations where men talk about fucking them, to be strippers and/or prostitutes, to be the pawn in a man's money laundering scheme (while also being fucked), to get smacked around (then fucked), to find it sexy that the fucking protagonist of the film is possessive and violent (then get fucked), to take dirty money from the ex husband (and then get fucked by him because hey, bitches, amirite?) and get shot (shortly after getting fucked).  The only female character in the film who isn't a doormat (played by Laurie Metcalf of Roseanne fame) is insinuated to be a lesbian.  I mean holy shit, just watch it for some glaring examples of changing gender and sexual politics, social mores and the like.

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I know you guys are talking about Rollins' acting work in movies, but I feel compelled to bring up his role in season 2 of Sons of Anarchy as a white supremacist. Great acting work from him there too.

Aw, I forgot about that. Weston was a hell of a villain. 

Am I tripping or was that Lance Russell as one of the newscasters in that Chase trailer? 

3 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Yeah, so I don't know if I want to revisit THE CHASE, because I'm pretty sure Rollins + Chili Peppers + Kristy Swanson was all I really needed 23 years ago. That combo would have hidden a multitude of sins.

Yeah man, the Chase was always on some cable channel. I think you're right about old Comedy Central days. You could watch Office Space, the Chase, an old episode of SNL, and then an episode of Strangers with Candy. By that point you missed all of your classes and it was time for dinner and dinner was probably a Pizza Pizza deal from Little Caesars.

Good old college days.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:33 AM, Raziel403 said:

And of course there is the phat Rollins Band track that plays during the end credits.  HERO TIME STARTS RIGHT NOW~!

• Like 1

Wait wait so the "twist" in Split is that

Spoiler

It's secretly an Unbreakable sequel

All I got from that last scene was a cute in-joke, but, looking it up today, it seems they're actually doing it.  Was anyone clamoring for an M. Night Shamalam Shared Universe?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Wait wait so the "twist" in Split is that

Reveal hidden contents

It's secretly an Unbreakable sequel

All I got from that last scene was a cute in-joke, but, looking it up today, it seems they're actually doing it.  Was anyone clamoring for an M. Night Shamalam Shared Universe?

Yep, that was the big reveal.  I think we discussed that (and my horrible overanalysis of the plot) either in this thread, the Horror thread, or in some far buried thread devoted to M. Night Shamalamadingdong himself..

• Like 1

Anybody else seen Trainspotting 2 yet? How good is it on a scale of 1-10? The Art Theater here had to switch to trivia nights and other crap because their projector shot a rod (oh, the glory of digital) so I missed it this weekend and might miss it period if they aren't gonna make good on their schedule. I'm of the mind to just try and find a bootleg because of that but I have faith in my trusted local co-op... well, kinda...