DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Watched Personal Shopper this past weekend.  Didn't like it, but I would like other people to see it so I can ask them why it's supposed to be a good movie.  Some critics continue to push the "Kristen Stewart is the greatest living actress" narrative, and I liked Clouds Of Sils Maria a lot but this movie is not a point in her favor imo.

3 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Some critics continue to push the "Kristen Stewart is the greatest living actress" narrative.

a7eeae038851851a2b0507cca1917b04.jpeg

Not in a world where Jennifer Lawrence, Michelle Williams, Octavia Spencer, Taraji P. Henson, Judi Dench, Kate Winslet, Helen Mirren, Charlize Theron, Frances McDormand, Meryl Streep, Holly Hunter, or Sally Field exist.

• Like 2

I am fascinated by that but can't fully look since I'm in the car.

All I will say is that Emma Watson was born literally a week after Stewart so Stewart isn't even the best actress born in April 1990

• Like 3

There is a ton of English/Irish/Australian/etc talent who were born in the late 70s and 80s who come over and really made their mark in the last 5-10 years. So do those people count? You wouldn't put Ruth Negga on the same list as Jessica Chastain or Charlize Theron, who has been an A-list actress several years now. That would be crazy.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

There is a ton of English/Irish/Australian/etc talent who were born in the late 70s and 80s who come over and really made their mark in the last 5-10 years. So do those people count?

I'd say yes.  Depth of resumé matters, but it doesn't have to be all Hollywood or all American movies.

14 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I'd say yes.  Depth of resumé matters, but it doesn't have to be all Hollywood or all American movies.

That's what would really make it contentious and subjective. 

22 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Is 32 young enough to count in that same generation? Cause Aubrey fucking Plaza.

She is amazing even in dumb shit like Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates, but that movie is also tolerable because she's one half of a dream tag-team with Anna Kendrick.

Stuff I watched this week

Lockout in which Guy Pearce is a sarcastic anti-hero charged with saving the often kidnapped Maggie Grace from a future prison full of unfrozen criminals.  Pearce is really good in this role, I liked the Scottish bad guys and wasn't expecting the twist at the end, so, all in all, a fairly succesful dumb action flick.

Europa Report was completely enjoyable.  It's basically a found footage film about a manned mission to Europa (moon of Jupiter), and after releasing hours recently cleared footage of their mission, the film reconstructs their journey.  I thought it did an amazing job of balancing the wonder of discovery with the terrifying nature of the unknown.  Personally, in regards to the last footage of the astronauts film, I would have cut the scene about 10-20 seconds earlier and left it more to the viewer's imagination.

Dealin' With Idiots which was some of the most fun I've had watching a film in a long time.  Directed and starring Jeff Garlin, he plays a comedian, fresh off a tour who decides to interview the assortment of oddball parents of the kids on his son's baseball team.  The film is largely improvised and part of the enjoyment is watching Garlin react when Bob Odenkirk, J.B. Smoove or Fred Willard (Odenkirk, in particular, has a handful of hilarious moments that just KILLED me).  Great cast (the aforementioned Garlin, Smoove, Willard and Odenkirk, along with Steve Agee, Ali Wong, Natasha Leggero, Richard Kind, Gina Gershon, etc. etc.).  The characters are a little broad, but it's so silly and such a breezy watch that I was 100% entertained.

He Never Died: The whole conceit of the film is a little strange with Henry Rollins as a mysterious, seemingly super-powered loner who suddenly ends up having his daughter re-enter his life, and I'm not sure it ever completely works.  But, Rollins is so wonderful to watch dealing with people in his day-to-day life and his complete disregard for smalltalk and the like.  Worth a watch for Rollins, really.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, caley said:

Stuff I watched this week

Lockout in which Guy Pearce is a sarcastic anti-hero charged with saving the often kidnapped Maggie Grace from a future prison full of unfrozen criminals.  Pearce is really good in this role, I liked the Scottish bad guys and wasn't expecting the twist at the end, so, all in all, a fairly succesful dumb action flick.

Luc Besson's name was all over Lockout, so I really didn't have high expectations and I was pleasantly surprised by it even though I kinda hate Guy Pearce as an action lead.

John Carpenter made a bunch of money off of Lockout. Because he sued them for remaking Escape From New York and not giving him any credit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AxB said:

John Carpenter made a bunch of money off of Lockout. Because he sued them for remaking Escape From New York and not giving him any credit.

Which is interesting, because outside of the whole "send a spec ops guy into a prison to rescue a VIP", that's where the similarties to either Escape movie ends.

19 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Not sure this belongs in the movie discussion thread. Unless of course this is your argument against Kristen Stewart, 

My friend, this belongs wherever the OP chooses to post it. Trust me on this one.

• Like 7

On 4/8/2017 at 2:11 AM, caley said:

He Never Died: The whole conceit of the film is a little strange with Henry Rollins as a mysterious, seemingly super-powered loner who suddenly ends up having his daughter re-enter his life, and I'm not sure it ever completely works.  But, Rollins is so wonderful to watch dealing with people in his day-to-day life and his complete disregard for smalltalk and the like.  Worth a watch for Rollins, really.

Being a huge Rollins fan I loved the shit out of this film, he was so fun in it, interesting reveal towards the end too. 

• Like 1

Took the girls to see Boss Baby this weekend: lots of fun. Not only were there a ton of homages to other movies (and not just ones Alec Baldwin has starred in), but there were several adult jokes...including one that could even be deemed quite risqué for a kids' movie. Girls and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Being a huge Rollins fan I loved the shit out of this film, he was so fun in it, interesting reveal towards the end too. 

Did you watch The Last Heist? It's an absolutely awful movie. Just awful. Pure, unadulterated garbage... but Henry Rollins in it, which makes it fun because his inability to act fits his character so well. It's actually worth a watch if you're a Rollins fan. Just remember to turn your brain off beforehand.