DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 TV THREAD

J.T.

Crashing on HBO is really, really funny and really good. Pete Holmes is just tremendous. It's loosely based on his real life, which led to a funny thing I heard on some podcast. They were talking about the show and someone asked if Pete could get in trouble portraying his ex this way, and someone answered "Why? This is what actually happened." :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Man, I was never a fan before, but I'm really digging this Samurai Jack reboot.

I don't think you need to be a fan of the series once you know the basics of Jack and Aku and the time travel it's a pretty great stand alone story.

• Like 1

Anyone else watching the Get Down's second season? 3 episodes in and its been damn good. They're trying some different things, like an animated sequence in the 2nd episode and getting into the problems and logistics of recording an album while using other people's music. Not really into the disco subplot, but that's pretty much the same as last year.

2 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

I don't think you need to be a fan of the series once you know the basics of Jack and Aku and the time travel it's a pretty great stand alone story.

It helps if you are a fan because now you're more appreciative of things and can look forward to Jack finally getting some closure.

• Like 1

So, I had my overtime shift on Friday. I ended up watching Black Mirror instead of the current season of Homeland. And, wow. That's a fuckin' show right there, hot damn. I watched the one about social media rankings and a wedding, the one that was the mysterious death of a journalist and one about a kid getting his computer hacked and being told to go on this crazy "adventure" so his secrets don't get leaked to everyone he knows. Except for the first one, they all had pretty crazy twists towards the end. Especially the last one... I was wondering the entire time why this kid would do all of this crazy shit just because he got recorded jerking off. Fuck, that's heavy. Oh, and then I got home and watched the one about an implant that stores all your life's memories. Super sad episode, that one.

Really good show, and I usually really dislike British TV shows. I tried to start the one about the TV cartoon character actor that ends up running for a political position as said cartoon character, but British politics are weird and nothing makes sense so I went to a different one.

Was that in the Waldo episode or the other political episode where a member of the Royal Family gets kidnapped? The Waldo episode was the one that I just couldn't follow because I don't know what any of these parties or political terms or anything means.

20 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The best thing about Black Mirror is how it sort of predicted the David Cameron/pigs head story. Brooker said it was a total coincidence. 

I've never felt worse as a human being than I did watching the end of that episode.

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

Was that in the Waldo episode or the other political episode where a member of the Royal Family gets kidnapped? The Waldo episode was the one that I just couldn't follow because I don't know what any of these parties or political terms or anything means.

The latter. iirc, the kidnappers demand the PM have sex with the pig to get the royal back. 

Wow, the latest Crashing was amazing. Just amazingly funny, sweet, and acid-witted. I laughed so hard during the baptism scene I almost passed out. And here's something I never thought I'd say, "Artie Lange deserves an Emmy." He's fucking tremendous.

Against my better judgement I started watching 24 Legacy at the weekend and... I'm actually quite impressed and enjoying it.

It's amazing how fresh everything can seem after a total overhaul and I'm starting to think they should take a leaf out of Fargo and True Detective's book and have a different main character each season. Going to an anthology format it would avoid suffering from the bloat and bullshit that dragged the series down last time.

• Like 2

I've watched every season of Survivor since the beginning, and that is by far the most fucked up thing I've ever seen a contestant do.  

Poor Zeke.  Just felt so bad for him sitting there completely comatose during the whole thing.  And the "apologies" afterwards just came off at so insincere and fake it was mind-boggling.  God bless Probst for bringing the hammer down at the end and, honestly, I hope that's the last we see of Varner.  

Edit: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-zeke-smith-outed-as-transgender-guest-column-991514  

• Like 1

I listened to the commentary from  The Simpsons’ The Principal and the Pauper episode. (The infamous “Jump the Shark” episode.) It’s intriguing.

Here’s the thing, I wasn’t crazy about the episode (it’s implausible and silly), but I appreciate the point the writers make.

“It’s about a community who are so used to things, they can’t stand anything being disrupted and instantly want to get things back to normal. It never seems to have occurred to anyone that this episode is about the people who hate it.”

Even at the end, Agnes gives up her legitimate son and happily sees him run out of town because she prefers the status quo. She knows Armie’s a fraud, but doesn’t care. Because our Principal Skinner suits her needs more. More than her own flesh and blood.

Quite scary, if you think about it. And it wasn't even like they took the easy way out and made Sgt. Skinner a hideous person. He's perfectly nice (he forgave Amie more easily than many people would have). But he just wasn't what they liked. Thus, he had to go.

They shouldn’t have made it, but there is an intelligence and cynicism here.

I've watched Survivor on and off for ages. Currently off, but I checked out the incident in question. Keep in mind that tribals normally run from 45 to 90 minutes during filming and Varner's said in interviews this week that this one went two hours. Can you imagine sitting through Varner strongly justifying himself in real time? 

21 hours ago, Reed said:

I listened to the commentary from  The Simpsons’ The Principal and the Pauper episode. (The infamous “Jump the Shark” episode.) It’s intriguing.

Here’s the thing, I wasn’t crazy about the episode (it’s implausible and silly), but I appreciate the point the writers make.

“It’s about a community who are so used to things, they can’t stand anything being disrupted and instantly want to get things back to normal. It never seems to have occurred to anyone that this episode is about the people who hate it.”

Even at the end, Agnes gives up her legitimate son and happily sees him run out of town because she prefers the status quo. She knows Armie’s a fraud, but doesn’t care. Because our Principal Skinner suits her needs more. More than her own flesh and blood.

Quite scary, if you think about it. And it wasn't even like they took the easy way out and made Sgt. Skinner a hideous person. He's perfectly nice (he forgave Amie more easily than many people would have). But he just wasn't what they liked. Thus, he had to go.

They shouldn’t have made it, but there is an intelligence and cynicism here.

My name is Armin! This is Armin’s apartment, Armin’s liquor, Armin’s copy of Swank, Armin’s frozen peas.
Can I see your copy of Swank, Armin.
Yes, you can.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2017 at 0:05 PM, (BP) said:

Yeah, the episode I've often seen suggested as their Jump the Shark was the one with the racetrack jockeys where there seemed to be an attempt to be as crass as South Park. 

On the commentary, the writers said they were doing a send up of how TV critics would talk about the show. Trying to make something they would call the worst episode ever. 

Commentary is entertaining for Matt Groening cracking up at the Jockeys singing. 

Was it real or just a wonderful dream. 

No dream, lose the race fat boy.

On 4/3/2017 at 11:02 AM, Technico Support said:

I've really enjoyed it.  You could say this season is quieter and more cerebral, more focused on conspiracies, political maneuvering and evil machinations than previous seasons, which could be more "24 Lite" at times.  A/V Club has not been kind to this season, which is ridiculous to me because I love it.  I'm not sure whether you should binge it, but I'm not a binge kind of guy, so YMMV.  

TL;DR: it's a great season, a little different from others

wow, you hit the nail on the head when you said it's more quiet and cerebral this season. I'm on the second to last episode and I'm really loving it. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a season this much. Usually there's a storyline during the season I don't give a fuck about, but I'm actually invested in everything that's going on and it's all interconnected too.

Dar Adal is such a fuckin' asshole. A lot of it really hits home too, considering our current political climate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Casey said:

wow, you hit the nail on the head when you said it's more quiet and cerebral this season. I'm on the second to last episode and I'm really loving it. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a season this much. Usually there's a storyline during the season I don't give a fuck about, but I'm actually invested in everything that's going on and it's all interconnected too.

Dar Adal is such a fuckin' asshole. A lot of it really hits home too, considering our current political climate.

Glad you're liking it!  The ending is decent and I'm looking forward to next season.