DVDVR Message Board

Americo Rocca, Javier Cruz y Chamaco Valaguez vs. Talisman, El Dandy y Guerrero Negro (3/13/87)

Phil Schneider

• 1 month later...

Another good but lesser trios.  Technicos dominate in the opening and it's fun stuff and the rudo beatdown in the second fall is pretty good, Dandy hits a nice senton.  Cool double dive spot at the end follow by a nice ending with a fast sequence ending in a TERRIBLE FOULE.

• 2 weeks later...

Great, now all the tecnicos are wearing the same gear. I'm starting to feel how folks did about the New Japan set with all the black trunks. At least then you could get a better look at people. If you look close their names are on the front of their tights though (totally not helpful in a high-speed lucha match).

Immediate end to the first fall. These guys are really cooking with gas, moving fast as hell. Rudos slow it down for some beatings to win the second after Dandy's Dick Togo Senton. He hits a pretty fresh tope after that too. Then we get UN TERRIBLE FOULE (TM tim./Morales) and I'm wishing there was more footage to replace something like this on the set. Man, it's not incompetent by any means, it's just short and inconsequential. Starting to get burnt on the trios and ready for the variety of the next disc. 

So, I watched the rest of disc 6 as well as 7 and the beginning of disc 8 on a long bus ride so some of my thoughts on those matches may be a bit more brief. My notes on this one are pretty sparse and honestly I don't remember all that much about this one. I recall this being solid but unspectacular. I've grown to like this rudo trio and the tecnicos are good even if in some ways they feel like generic 80s tecnicos.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I liked Rocca's opening sequence with Negro where they turn into a wheel and Negro ends up flying through the ropes to the floor.  Talisman and Dandy also hit the floor soon after, and indeed this is a fast-paced match.  In the second fall, the rudos are flying into the first row of seats.  Dandy finally gains the advantage in nice fashion by punching his opponent in the face as he attempts a leapfrog.  Triple-teaming starts up, with the rudos dropping the technicos from great heights onto knees and ring ropes.  Some sweet sentons end the second fall in definitive fashion for the rudos.  One of the technicos gets worked over with chokes before the third fall starts.  Rocca gets worked over a bit to start the third fall.  Valaguez tags in and gets the better of Talisman, who bails.  Techincos are thrown into each other, and then we have some dives, leaving Negro and one of the technicos in the ring.  Negro fouls for the loss.  I pretty much enjoyed this fast-paced match, although I didn't understand who Negro fouled at the end.  It seemed a bit random and abrupt.  El Dandy was insane in this match with his flips over the top rope to splat on the floor.  I think this is top-half for me.

• 5 months later...

The more trios I see the more familiar the trios formula becomes and this one really didn't do anything to break from the pack.

Tecnicos totally dominate the first fall, and I like how they came out and didn't take any shit from the rudos right from the start, putting the rudos team on the back-foot. Quick first fall and unfortunately we miss a dive but the tiny little bit the camera catches almost makes it feel more dangerous. I really like Talisman's heel mannerisms like trying to calm his opponent and the crowd.

We cut into the second fall with Talisman and Rocca. They work a really funny spot where Rocca sends Talisman over the top rope and into the laps of two people sitting in the front row. Dandy drills Cruz with a punch as Cruz goes for a leapfrog and that immediately raises Dandy's stock for me. Dandy takes a really high bump over the top rope to the floor that's kind of scary in how little it meant to the match. The rudos start up the double and triple teaming to win the second fall and this felt like there wasn't even a transition so much as a decision to get to the 3rd fall.

They kind of lose me in the third fall until they start the dives and then Negro tries to hide a foul but he's not very good at it and gets caught for the DQ loss. This had some good moments but is definitely going to get lost in the pack of "fun but forgettable" trios on my ballot.