DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

11 hours ago, Hoarr said:

WHAT

tumblr_onz0efCQCB1qzp5ffo1_540.png

I think @Rev Ray was there for this one. Flair beat Sting to regain the World title on the same show. Only 5000 fans because of a raging blizzard that night. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I think @RevRay was there for this one. Flair beat Sting to regain the World title on the same show. Only 5000 fans because of a raging blizzard that night. 

I was there as well. It was billed as a "football match" between Luger and Big Cat (Mr. Hughes). Essentially, it was battle royal rules -- throw your opponent over the top rope and you win.

The reason Hughes is in the Bears uniform top is that the Chicago Bears were playing the hometown New York Giants in a playoff game at the Meadowlands two days after this show. Lawrence Taylor was in Luger's corner, much to the dismay of the Giants coaching staff, the media, some teammates, fans, etc. (I recall the NYC tabloids had a field day with LT doing this (and the Giants and NFL allowing it), mocking him about his priorities).

Before the match, Paul Heyman (who managed Hughes) and LT had a bit of a promo battle. Heyman was talking about his "good friend", Bears head coach Mike Ditka, and how Hughes would do to Luger what the Bears would do to the Giants. LT responded with "Screw Mike Ditka".

Match was only about two minutes. Afterward, Luger and LT teamed up to toss Paul E. out of the ring to the roar of the crowd. I believe there was some talk of LT being more physically involved in the match, but the Giants put the kibosh on it, fearing a worst-case scenario.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Are the women anyone I should recognize?

Yeah you can't even use the Wrestling Bubble excuse

Gail Kim, Kelly Kelly (though it's Barbie Blank now), Christy Hemme and Alicia Fox

• Like 1

3 hours ago, colonial said:

I was there as well. It was billed as a "football match" between Luger and Big Cat (Mr. Hughes). Essentially, it was battle royal rules -- throw your opponent over the top rope and you win.

The reason Hughes is in the Bears uniform top is that the Chicago Bears were playing the hometown New York Giants in a playoff game at the Meadowlands two days after this show. Lawrence Taylor was in Luger's corner, much to the dismay of the Giants coaching staff, the media, some teammates, fans, etc. (I recall the NYC tabloids had a field day with LT doing this (and the Giants and NFL allowing it), mocking him about his priorities).

Before the match, Paul Heyman (who managed Hughes) and LT had a bit of a promo battle. Heyman was talking about his "good friend", Bears head coach Mike Ditka, and how Hughes would do to Luger what the Bears would do to the Giants. LT responded with "Screw Mike Ditka".

Match was only about two minutes. Afterward, Luger and LT teamed up to toss Paul E. out of the ring to the roar of the crowd. I believe there was some talk of LT being more physically involved in the match, but the Giants put the kibosh on it, fearing a worst-case scenario.

Yeah - that was during the 2nd Giants Super Bowl run and since it was during the playoffs, people where PISSED. There are some online claims that LT was giving $10K just for that show.

The big thing about that show - Flair beat Sting for the title

WCW @ East Rutherford, NJ - Meadowlands - January 11, 1991 (5,000; the low turnout was partially due to a snowstorm)

WCW TV Champion Tom Zenk pinned the Black Angel (Jose Luis Rivera) at 5:02 with a missile dropkick

Brad Armstrong pinned the Cuban Assassin at 5:45 with the side Russian legsweep

Michael Wallstreet pinned Terry Taylor at 8:48 with a roll over and grabbing both the ropes and tights for leverage; cameras were at ringside to film part of the match for a segment on Wallstreet for "Inside Edition"

Sid Vicious pinned Brian Pillman with the powerbomb at 4:29

El Gigante, Tommy Rich, & Ricky Morton defeated Bobby Eaton, Michael Hayes & Jimmy Garvin when Gigante pinned Garvin at the 12-minute mark with a boot to the face; during the contest, the crowd chanted "We want Stan" at Eaton; after the bout, Hayes & Garvin attacked Eaton, with Eaton fighting back and hitting a double clothesline

WCW US Champion Lex Luger (w/ Lawrence Taylor) defeated Curtis Hughes (w/ Paul E. Dangerously) in a football challenge match at 2:06; both men wore football gear and the goal was to knock the opponent over the top rope

WCW US Tag Team Champions Rick & Scott Steiner defeated the Master Blasters at 6:28 when Scott pinned Blade with the Frankensteiner

Ric Flair pinned WCW World Champion Sting at 20:38 to win the title with his feet on the ropes for leverage after knocking the champion's foot off the bottom rope, moments after the two men collided

Arn Anderson & Barry Windham defeated WCW Tag Team Champions Doom in a non-title steel cage match at 3:54 when Windham pinned Ron Simmons after Butch Reed accidentally hit his partner with a foreign object

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah you can't even use the Wrestling Bubble excuse

Gail Kim, Kelly Kelly (though it's Barbie Blank now), Christy Hemme and Alicia Fox

Am I the only one who thinks that doesn't look at all like Kim?

• Like 5

On 4/5/2017 at 9:59 AM, Oyaji said:

What a tease. Finlay's run tour of the indies was so wonderful. Was anybody meaner in the ring from the mid '80s onward? Watching the two Callihan matches last week and he's just a jerk in everything he does.

Ron Garvin was around until 1992, I would fight Finlay before crossing Garvin. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Victator said:

Ron Garvin was around until 1992, I would fight Finlay before taking crossing Garvin. 

I remember David Crockett would always sound like he was getting some kind of perverse pleasure out of watching Garvin smack around jobbers. He always used this weird sort of low, throaty voice whenever calling Garvin squash matches.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Arn Anderson & Barry Windham defeated WCW Tag Team Champions Doom in a non-title steel cage match at 3:54 when Windham pinned Ron Simmons after Butch Reed accidentally hit his partner with a foreign object

They put up a Steel Cage for a 3:54 match??  I'd be pissed if I was on that crew.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Peck said:

They put up a Steel Cage for a 3:54 match??  I'd be pissed if I was on that crew.

What's worse, that, or having to apply purple tape to the ropes and change the mat for two 2 minute cruiserweight segments? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Peck said:

How about the fans only getting that much time and the match ending on a foreign... excuse me, this is WCW, international object strike in a freakin steel cage match where ostensibly that should be legal? That AND they drove through a blizzard. At least the crew were getting paid. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Am I the only one who thinks that doesn't look at all like Kim?

No, i thought the same thing.  But I haven't seen her in years.  Maybe she had some work done or the lighting in the pic is bad?

EDIT: checking her Instagram, she definitely got a new face.  God damn.

53 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember David Crockett would always sound like he was getting some kind of perverse pleasure out of watching Garvin smack around jobbers. He always used this weird sort of low, throaty voice whenever calling Garvin squash matches.

Look at him Tony, look at him suffer. Isn't life anguish and misery Tony? Right now, Gary Royal is the only man truly alive in this studio Tony.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - that was during the 2nd Giants Super Bowl run and since it was during the playoffs, people where PISSED. There are some online claims that LT was giving $10K just for that show.

The big thing about that show - Flair beat Sting for the title

I'm pretty sure the picture of the Horsemen with LT is following that show.  And I'm surprised they list an attendance of 5,000, that place felt really empty because there was a blizzard on the way.  I was calling the building just about every hour to make sure the show wasn't cancelled.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

I'm pretty sure the picture of the Horsemen with LT is following that show.  And I'm surprised they list an attendance of 5,000, that place felt really empty because there was a blizzard on the way.  I was calling the building just about every hour to make sure the show wasn't cancelled.  

True (see #3).

tumblr_oo0at62Wqk1qzp5ffo1_1280.jpg

Also of note, I noticed it was the start of the Bobby Eaton face turn because Bobby was in peril and the Freebirds were alligator arming him when he'd try to tag out to the point that eventually, Bobby flipped them off.