DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:10 PM, Hoarr said:

There are people who hate Arquette for going along with it. There are people who hate Vince Russo for booking it. There are people who hate Tony Schiavone for suggesting it. There are people who hate me for bringing it up. There are people who hate you for continuing discussion on it.

How do these same hateful people feel about Hogan stooging for Leno? Seems like that would register as much graver sacrilege than Arquette pinning Bischoff at a time when the title changed hands three or four times a week anyways.

On 4/28/2017 at 10:58 AM, Victator said:

It did bug the piss out of me. Hogan knew that would get him on newspapers, and that is a big deal to some people. 

JJ Dillon brought that up in his book. He said he was riding back to the hotel after the show with Jimmy Hart, Kevin Sullivan and a few other people from the WCW creative team and they were all in silence. JJ goes, "Hulk Hogan, the greatest attraction in wrestling, was selling armbars from a talk show host. Where have we taken the business?" Jimmy Hart made the point that now Leno's door was open for Hogan. The counterpoint to that is, the door was open for Hogan and DDP, but what about the rest of WCW? How does it help the rest of the company? Was it really positive press for WCW or just a sideshow thing where the mainstream media would go, "hey look at the whacky hijinks Jay Leno is up to now"? 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Anytime a non-wrestler gets involved in wrestling, for the sake of garnering publicity for wrestling, it almost always backfires. It won't stop promoters from any level of wrestling to keep attempting it, though.

I think it worked pretty well in the 80s/early 90s. Like the whole Rock and Wrestling thing, LT and Bigelow, Chuck Norris at Survivor Series, Kevin Greene's involvement, even the first Rodman match. I think it depends on how seriously it's presented. Are they presenting it as they're actually participating in a sporting event or a physical activity (Kevin Greene, Mr. T,  LT) or is it just some sideshow deal (Arquette, Jay Leno)?

Even with the non-wrestling celebs, it can work if they treat it seriously. I think the reason that the involvement of people like Pete Rose, Bob Barker, Cindy Lauper and Bob Ueker worked is b/c even though they were having fun with it, they weren't making fun of it if that makes sense. They might've joked around but they sold stuff when it was appropriate and didn't make it seem like being there was beneath them. Contrast that with most of the terrible guest hosts during that period of RAW. The NASCAR guys and Al Sharpton are the ones who immediately spring to mind there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I think it worked pretty well in the 80s/early 90s. Like the whole Rock and Wrestling thing, LT and Bigelow, Chuck Norris at Survivor Series, Kevin Greene's involvement, even the first Rodman match. I think it depends on how seriously it's presented. Are they presenting it as they're actually participating in a sporting event or a physical activity (Kevin Greene, Mr. T,  LT) or is it just some sideshow deal (Arquette, Jay Leno)?

I know he was still playing well, but, Kevin Greene would've done quite well in wrestling, had he quit football and stuck with WCW. 

In my opinion. 

• Like 1

I agree. He wasn't terrible considering the circumstances. You can make a pretty strong case that the Flair/Anderson vs. Mongo/Greene match from GAB 96 is the best wrestler vs. celeb/athlete match ever. The moment where Greene reversed the figure four and was reaching for Mongo to help him only to have Mongo hit him with the briefcase was really well done. Greene showed more emotion and facial expressions there than more than a few guys currently employed by WWE.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

He was super hyped up when cutting promos. He was like Mojo in a way. Actually, you could say Mojo is what Greene could've been. 

Pssssh, Kevin Greene is what Mojo wants to be. Mean Lean Kevin Greene was 100X better than Mojo.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cristobal said:

Bringing celebs in is like a Dusty finish. Yeah it'll work once if you do it well, but you need to resist the temptation to keep using it because it's gonna lose it's impact when people start expecting it.

Good thing that theorem doesn't apply to part-time wrestlers, or it'd lead to some really meh WrestleMania shows.

Oh, wait.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

18157305_1422416924463419_51379050442329

This is titled "Kayfabe died in 1985"

No way. This is just the Wyatt clan journeying to what passes as a European grand tour for them. The intoxicating aroma of large animal feces is still heavy in the air. They're taking this picture because it's their first encounter with refrigeration and they are going to return later to exorcise and free the ice demons trapped in their bomb pops.

Those two dust bowl children are carrying the souls of traveling salesman trapped in those dolls forever and they're probably going to score as many pinfalls as harper and Rowan combined ever did so why not go with the team that eats less of your paycheck.

That lady is Brie Bella. She already looks healthier.  Daniel Bryan is geeking in the tent behind them because he can't pass up a chance to perform for 7 people and three prize 4H pigs.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

18157305_1422416924463419_51379050442329

This is titled "Kayfabe died in 1985"

Is he scouting backup locations for the Treehouse of Horrors match in case the Hardy compound is a no go?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zartan said:

Well he's at a carnival in 2017 can we at least give him that? 

Btw did Mike Tyson steal Earl Hebner's spot which then caused Earl to start bootlegging merch out of his trunk? 

Nope, but I think Buster Douglas once stole Tyson's spot in a Saturday Night's Main Event.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zartan said:

Well he's at a carnival in 2017 can we at least give him that? 

Btw did Mike Tyson steal Earl Hebner's spot which then caused Earl to start bootlegging merch out of his trunk? 

Earl was hospitalized. I'm very embarrassed for you and hope you are removed from the Dreadnoks. I voted for Road Pig. 

• Like 2